6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old April 1st, 2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Member #139617
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
View sawguy50's Photo Gallery(0)
No start

So, after my top end rebuild, it started and ran fine then I noticed the stator cover gasket leaking. I removed the cover replaced the gasket and now it wont' start. Starter clicks once when turning the key and dash lights go out if key is held on. Battery is fully charged. Anything it might be before I take the stator cover off again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old April 2nd, 2017, 01:36 PM
texhntr

First Name: Doug
My RZR: 2013 XP900 Orange Madness
Member #172089
View texhntr's Photo Gallery(0)
Re: No start

Maybe a bad connection? I would check the connections at the battery, starter, starter solenoid and the ground.

2013 XP900 Orange Madness
post #3 of 24 Old April 2nd, 2017, 01:37 PM
texhntr

First Name: Doug
My RZR: 2013 XP900 Orange Madness
Member #172089
View texhntr's Photo Gallery(0)

Oh, and either test or bypass the solenoid.

2013 XP900 Orange Madness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old April 2nd, 2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Member #139617
Garage

I removed the stator cover and couldn't find anything odd. Removed the starter to flywheel gear and turned the key. The starter spun normally. Put it back together. Now wait 24 hrs for form a gasket to cure. Then I'll try again.

Last edited by sawguy50; April 3rd, 2017 at 06:53 AM.
post #5 of 24 Old April 10th, 2017, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Member #139617
Garage

bad solenoid...terminals rusted solid
post #6 of 24 Old April 15th, 2017, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Member #139617
Garage

Update...not the solenoid. Replaced it and same thing...one click(starter) and ground wire jumps when it clicks. Reading back to 2014 there was an issue with a bolt(stud) coming loose next to the flywheel. Would this be my next move or look into starter?
post #7 of 24 Old April 23rd, 2017, 09:37 PM
Aspiring Perfectionist

First Name: Richard
My RZR: 2018 XP4 Turbo
Member #70552
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
View RWB713's Photo Gallery(0)
Did you torque the stator cover to spec? I also recommend using the OEM gasket. A friend of mine had an issue with the starting turnin very slowly after he took off the cover to fix an oil leak and tightened it down too much, and used silicone gasket maker.

the starter shaft seats firmly into a bushing on the stator cover, if you put the starter shaft in too much of a bind, it doesn't allow the starter motor to spin freely and can overload the solenoid.

Don't know if you've fixed it or not yet, and I don't know that that's your problem, just thought I'd share, there is also a numbered sequence to torque the bolts down.
AlbaNate likes this.
post #8 of 24 Old April 26th, 2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Member #139617
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB713 View Post
Did you torque the stator cover to spec? I also recommend using the OEM gasket. A friend of mine had an issue with the starting turnin very slowly after he took off the cover to fix an oil leak and tightened it down too much, and used silicone gasket maker.

the starter shaft seats firmly into a bushing on the stator cover, if you put the starter shaft in too much of a bind, it doesn't allow the starter motor to spin freely and can overload the solenoid.

Don't know if you've fixed it or not yet, and I don't know that that's your problem, just thought I'd share, there is also a numbered sequence to torque the bolts down.
This could be my problem...I used permatex fipg instead of factory gasket. Will remove and replace one more time...thanks..I'll let you know.
post #9 of 24 Old May 2nd, 2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Member #139617
Garage

Quote:

RWB713...without your help I would still be scratching my head. I can't believe a gasket that's about 1/32nd inch thick could make the starter lock up but it did! Installed factory gasket and starter spun like it should. Thank you! This info should be in or have a sticky by itself. Sometimes our brains try to think too much into a situation. When I go back to the beginning of this problem (stator cover oil drip), the only thing I did different was use fipg instead of the factory gasket.
AlbaNate and generaljls like this.
post #10 of 24 Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:09 PM
Official Site Vendor

Member #24131
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
View AlbaNate's Photo Gallery(0)

Love this forum! good job guys. Never reuse the stator gasket on an early XP900. This will happen almost every time. Also, there is a washer on the outside of the circlip on intermediate starter gear post that is missing sometimes and will do the same thing.

Nate
Alba Racing

WWW.TEAMALBARACING.COM Member Hookup on: ELKA, CP, WEB, MSD, Cometic, Velocity, Fox Shocks or PM with Requests!

[email protected]

LIKE ME AND ALBA!!!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/nate.martinez.9659
http://www.facebook.com/teamalbaracing

Check us out on Yelp.
post #11 of 24 Old May 13th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Aspiring Perfectionist

Member #70552
Garage
Glad to help! And glad you got it fixed. I know firsthand what it's like to have a rzr as a garage decoration and it's not very fun at all!

It is amazing that a gasket can make that much difference, just shows how tight & influential design tolerances can be.
post #12 of 24 Old May 29th, 2017, 06:49 PM

Member #130737
View pa.hunter's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:

seen this before bet thats it
post #13 of 24 Old September 16th, 2018, 03:58 PM

Member #260834
View Cothranm13's Photo Gallery(0)
Mine started fine before removing the cover. Now the solenoid just clicks.. it won't spin the starter. Battery has 12.7 v.
post #14 of 24 Old September 16th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Aspiring Perfectionist

Member #70552
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cothranm13 View Post
Mine started fine before removing the cover. Now the solenoid just clicks.. it won't spin the starter. Battery has 12.7 v.
You need to get an OEM gasket and torque it to spec in the correct sequence, I sh*t you not, that little gasket is your problem. Get the OEM gasket, clean all the rtv off, re-install and torque to spec (89 +/- 9 in-lbs if my memory serves me correctly), and the is also a numbered sequence to torque the bolts in, When i get home i can send you a pic out of the manual

"I strive for a level of perfection I don't possess the skillset to achieve"
2018 XPT4 - Bailey

Help me get some info in these threads: Tire Height --- Front Diff
post #15 of 24 Old September 16th, 2018, 04:12 PM

Member #260834
View Cothranm13's Photo Gallery(0)
One more thing if you don't mind. After putting in 3.5 qts. Of oil. It seems to still be all up top in the sump. Is this normal? I haven't had the machine long so it's new to me. I would've thought gravity would factor in here.. thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode