RZR XP 4 1000 Discussions for the all new four-seat Polaris RZR XP 4 1000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 65 Old March 18th, 2015, 07:26 AM

My RZR: 2015 XP4 1000
Member #59129
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
View TFBruin's Photo Gallery(0)
Re: Front Differential Noise...

I have the noise in a 2015 RZR 4 1000, found this when I was looking up straight cut gears. Seems to make sense. Don't know if it is an answer on the noise though.

http://automotivethinker.com/transmi...rs-vs-helical/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 65 Old March 18th, 2015, 07:51 AM
44L

First Name: Chuck
My RZR: 2013 XP 900
Member #74948
View 44L's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taytayracin60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhavasu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44L View Post

Pinion angle would be my guess.
Not sure, why do some not make the noise, all have the same angle and the 900xp did not make this noise. I still think its in the diff. BUT, the driveline has issues as well. Maybe XPRT will see/uncover something when he takes his apart.
I wonder if using a thicker tranny oil will help, being there straight cut gears.
I have tried that years ago on some of the older diffs and the thicker oil caused unwanted engagement in the front drive.
post #18 of 65 Old March 18th, 2015, 10:27 AM

First Name: Terry
My RZR: 2015 1000 4
Member #18158
View Mrhavasu's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFBruin View Post
I have the noise in a 2015 RZR 4 1000, found this when I was looking up straight cut gears. Seems to make sense. Don't know if it is an answer on the noise though.

Straight cut gears vs helical | Automotive Thinker - Discussing the finer points of automobiles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 65 Old March 18th, 2015, 11:23 PM

Member #18158

Are you still planning on taking the front diff apart?
post #20 of 65 Old March 19th, 2015, 10:32 AM

Member #18158

Thanks for the reply, so your front diff came with a plastic Sprague Carrier?
Have you actually taken it apart to verify this? Reason I ask is there seems to be some talk about Polaris going back to metal after 8-14 production. I know we are all anxioius for a definate answer as to what else is going on besides the bad driveline.
Thanks again for all the great info!!
post #21 of 65 Old March 19th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Sand Monster

Member #56914
View Surfman423's Photo Gallery(0)

Maybe Polaris will start paying attention and agree to correct this the right way if a few hundred of us who are tired of battling this problem after spending $22000 on their product shove a class action law suit in their face. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not a hater and I have no want to battle with Polaris as I love the products they build. This isn't my first Polaris product or RzR nor will it be my last if they make good on the issue. All I am asking is for my car to be correct like I assumed it would be when I purchased it new. I don't feel like I should have to front the additional funds to correct a known issue that should have never proceeded past production. Am I being unreasonable with that assumption?
post #22 of 65 Old March 19th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Sand Monster

Member #56914
View Surfman423's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPRT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhavasu View Post
Thanks for the reply, so your front diff came with a plastic Sprague Carrier?
Have you actually taken it apart to verify this? Reason I ask is there seems to be some talk about Polaris going back to metal after 8-14 production. I know we are all anxioius for a definate answer as to what else is going on besides the bad driveline.
Thanks again for all the great info!!
Yes it did,and I got in a big pissing match with Polaris over it too as of the build date 8-5-14 it is supposed to have a Aluminum one in it because my build date is 9-19-14. Polaris said they never went back to it just a different Plastic one that is the same size as the sprague in the high lifter.and the only 2015 XP with a Aluminum sprague is the High Lifter for 2015 . So I bought one from Superatv.com and waiting. Who Knows if Polaris is telling the truth any more or just throwing what ever part at the XP they have on hand at this time? I do know dealing even with a lawyer is a NIGHTMARE as they have their own high priced Lawyers to ruin your day. If we all like this car we will just have to bite the bullet and fix the shortcomings it has! I don't like it either! But I am going to fix my car so we can use it and I thank Polaris for letting me do so and getting me new parts to try . P.S (FYI)Polaris told me they are watching all of this on the forums. Polaris & I talk all the time now that we agreed to work together and just get my XP Fixed. they have ask once a week for an up date .
Battling with Polaris would definitely not be my first choice if given another option. This is supposed to be a fun enjoyable hobby and I really want it to remain that way. Ive contacted all three of my somewhat local dealers asking about the drive line issues and received the same response from each of them as to what a pain in the butt it is even trying to work with Polaris for a remedy. Its frustrating to say the least.
post #23 of 65 Old March 19th, 2015, 12:29 PM

My RZR: XP41000
Member #259
View blackballed's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Polaris & I talk all the time now that we agreed to work together and just get my XP Fixed. they have ask once a week for an up date .
You know that you're getting old when not only this is happening...but when Premi is conducting Vibration Analysis 101 seminars over the phone as well.

For me, it started way back in '03(?) when Yamaha couldn't even design an intake properly for the Rhino...and when Polaris didn't do much better not many years later for the first Rzrs that many of us were plagued with.

Thanks, XPRT for being the big boy engineer that apparently everybody in the side-by-side business will someday look up to (I guess that you have to be an old man to understand what amazing things this country has produced far beyond the glorified go kart...in-house).
post #24 of 65 Old March 31st, 2015, 01:07 PM

Member #78909
Garage
View HellRZR15's Photo Gallery(0)

I had been posting in another thread and then I saw this recent thread so I though I would post our latest news on our 2015 RZR 4

Update: Took our drive prop shaft to Dicks in Phoenix. They balanced, phased and straightened the prop shaft. Shipped it back to us once it was done. We took it to Ride Now and they installed it. Took it for the weekend and sorry to say it made the noise again except much worse. It is now audible at 15 MPH, where previously it was at 30 MPH +. It is also much louder than before. So the out of phase and balance theory unfortunately did not ring true for us. I am stumped. I have no clue what is causing this and from the sound of it neither does Ride Now or Polaris. Keep in mind this is a brand new 2015. We bought it in February. We have had possession of it for 6 out of 60 days. We sold our sand rail to buy this RZR because everyone said you will have less maintenance costs. What a joke! Wishing we had kept the sand rail. The only noise from it was the engine running.
post #25 of 65 Old March 31st, 2015, 04:34 PM

Member #18158

Sorry to hear that, the blancing and rephase most certainly improved mine, but did nothing for the front diff noise.
post #26 of 65 Old March 31st, 2015, 10:26 PM

First Name: Joe
My RZR: 2015 RZR 1000 XP4
Member #78624
Garage
View ingiro22's Photo Gallery(0)

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRZRForums.net1427865896.098137.jpg
Views:	1237
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	130520
This is the rear, I'm guessing it should not be leaking. Only about 200 miles on the 2015 xp4. Noise from both front and rear on mine. Ugh
post #27 of 65 Old March 31st, 2015, 10:28 PM

Member #78624
Garage

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRZRForums.net1427866052.450375.jpg
Views:	1218
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	130521
Another view
post #28 of 65 Old March 31st, 2015, 11:58 PM
44L

First Name: Chuck
My RZR: 2013 XP 900
Member #74948
View 44L's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRZR15 View Post
I had been posting in another thread and then I saw this recent thread so I though I would post our latest news on our 2015 RZR 4

Update: Took our drive prop shaft to Dicks in Phoenix. They balanced, phased and straightened the prop shaft. Shipped it back to us once it was done. We took it to Ride Now and they installed it. Took it for the weekend and sorry to say it made the noise again except much worse. It is now audible at 15 MPH, where previously it was at 30 MPH +. It is also much louder than before. So the out of phase and balance theory unfortunately did not ring true for us. I am stumped. I have no clue what is causing this and from the sound of it neither does Ride Now or Polaris. Keep in mind this is a brand new 2015. We bought it in February. We have had possession of it for 6 out of 60 days. We sold our sand rail to buy this RZR because everyone said you will have less maintenance costs. What a joke! Wishing we had kept the sand rail. The only noise from it was the engine running.
Buy a cheap angle finder, Get the pinion angle correct and report back.
post #29 of 65 Old April 1st, 2015, 02:10 PM

My RZR: RZR4 XP
Member #44418
View fireiron's Photo Gallery(0)
Usa Re: Front Differential Noise...

My '15 XP4 has been making diff noise & vibrating since day 1. By 900 miles it got so bad we just couldn't drive it any longer. Pulled it apart & found a lot of issues. The carrier bearing bushing is trashed. The small diameter drive tube is so bent that the paint is worn off on one side from rubbing the frame! It's also cracked all the way around its diameter where it's welded @ the splined end. I was just going to order a replacement through Polaris. But then after seeing XPRT's experience with his new out of the box replacements forget it! The '15 XP4 driveline part # includes the carrier bearing. The '14 XP4 has a separate part number for each so I used it and picked up the carrier bearing/bushing only. Today I took both of my RZRs original driveshafts & the new carrier bearing to a driveline shop. The shop said that they have seen & repaired many of these. They're going to check the front tube to be sure it's true, then phase & balance it. For the rear shaft he says they'll replace the tube with a larger diameter one & then balance it. I think XPRT is right & it makes more sense to do it this way so it's done once & done right. Thanks again XPRT for your ideas & information.

post #30 of 65 Old April 1st, 2015, 02:34 PM

Member #78624
Garage
Front Differential Noise...

Quote:
Joe,You Just can't win either.That is just like my car was. Who are you going to take it to in Vegas? Ride Now or Carter powerSports ? my 2015 XP1K-4 only has 100 miles now and 5 hrs. after they fixed the output like yours plus th driveline ,front diff and now my case halves are leaking 13 miles after the last repair.

Probably just going back to Utah to the dealer I bought it from. I haven't been to impressed with any of the Vegas shops.

Last edited by ingiro22; April 1st, 2015 at 02:45 PM.

Tags
front differential noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode