RZR XP 1000 Discussions for the all new Polaris RZR XP 1000

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old September 27th, 2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Member #267812
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
View Perryking's Photo Gallery(0)
Suspension help

I’m needing some opinions on who’s dual rate set up to buy for my 19 XP1K. At roughly 900.00 bucks either way I go I don’t want it to be wasted. I’m looking to get a smoother ride on the trails through the rough stuff. Wooded trails, rocky trails, mud trails are my normal riding conditions. I do a couple dune trips a year. I’ve read several negative posts about the stage 4 ST kit. Red Dog doesn’t have a website that I can find so I have no idea what they offer. The ZBro kit looks the same as ST with the two piece cross over that seems to be a problem. I just want a good dependable set up I don’t have to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old September 27th, 2019, 08:39 PM
FBT
Can't 'Member.

My RZR: 2019 Indy Red Turbo S
Member #617
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
View FBT's Photo Gallery(0)
Re: Suspension help

You owe it to yourself to at least talk to Ed the Suspension Guy. I had a 2014 XP1000.
I talked to him and wound up buying new front shocks and revalving and respringing the rears. You may not need to go that far, but he will listen and give you the straight scoop.

When we did my 1k he wanted the weight of all the stuff I haul around, my weight, and my wife's weight. He then asked about where I ride, what I was looking for, and delivered exactly what I asked for.
He is on here, send him a PM. Be patient he has a full time job, but again...it'll be worth just talking to him...and listening to what he says. I am going to respring my Turbo S sometime next spring, and I will buy a package from him...not a one size fits all deal.

Just another opinion for you to mull over, LOL.
post #3 of 26 Old September 28th, 2019, 08:11 AM

Member #258728
View rocket26's Photo Gallery(0)
I agree Ed is a great guy, I went with kings and HOLYSHIT what a difference! I had revalved rc2 and theirs no comparison , none
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old September 28th, 2019, 12:41 PM

First Name: Tom
My RZR: 2017 xp1000 white lightning
Member #2518
Garage
View roadiestar's Photo Gallery(0)

https://rtproutv.com/shop-by-model/rzr-xp-1000/rzr-xp-1000-replacement-spring-kit.htmlI went with the RT kit and it made a huge difference. So much that the wife noticed.

post #5 of 26 Old September 28th, 2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Member #267812
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBT View Post
You owe it to yourself to at least talk to Ed the Suspension Guy. I had a 2014 XP1000.
I talked to him and wound up buying new front shocks and revalving and respringing the rears. You may not need to go that far, but he will listen and give you the straight scoop.

When we did my 1k he wanted the weight of all the stuff I haul around, my weight, and my wife's weight. He then asked about where I ride, what I was looking for, and delivered exactly what I asked for.
He is on here, send him a PM. Be patient he has a full time job, but again...it'll be worth just talking to him...and listening to what he says. I am going to respring my Turbo S sometime next spring, and I will buy a package from him...not a one size fits all deal.

Just another opinion for you to mull over, LOL.
Do you know how I find Ed? I did a search in the PM and couldn’t find any thing with Ed the suspension guy.
post #6 of 26 Old September 28th, 2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Member #267812
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadiestar View Post
https://rtproutv.com/shop-by-model/rzr-xp-1000/rzr-xp-1000-replacement-spring-kit.htmlI went with the RT kit and it made a huge difference. So much that the wife noticed.
That’s really what I’m looking for. I try and take my wife on every ride. The suspension hasn’t bothered me too much but our last trip down to Mulberry Mountain in Arkansas I could tell the rocky trails were starting to get to her. If I can make it softer over the rocks I know she’ll enjoy it way more.
Is the RT kit a dual rate? I didn’t see a crossover in the kit. I’m completely new to the suspension stuff. This is my first RZR so I have absolutely nothing to compare what I have to what I could have. I do know there’s no way I’m spending 2500.00 or more for all new shocks.
post #7 of 26 Old September 28th, 2019, 01:35 PM

First Name: Troy
My RZR: 14 RZR1000 2 seater
Member #47129
Garage
View AZ_TR0Y's Photo Gallery(0)

Do not think the RT kit has cross overs.
Adding longer correct rate upper springs with crossovers will do wonders for the slow stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

2014 rzr1000 2 seater.
post #8 of 26 Old September 28th, 2019, 01:59 PM

Member #137545
Garage
View DogRunner2's Photo Gallery(0)

I went with RT Pro springs. Very satisfied.

2018 XP1K LE
post #9 of 26 Old September 29th, 2019, 03:45 PM
Ed, The Suspension Guy

First Name: Ed
My RZR: Xp1000, XP900
Member #12748
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
View Pound Sand's Photo Gallery(0)

I build the spring lengths and rate choices for the customers needs. Weights and cargo and terrain are significant parts of the equation to make spring rate choices.

Its NOT a one size fits all deal. It’s weird that some owners will purchase these general, generic spring rate choices spring kits? And add the fact that some kits don’t even give the spring rates your purchasing??? Sounds like a great deal to me?
Why would owners not want the best bang for the buck when purchasing springs to help improve the handling of thier expensive car Best possible?

Most owners have no idea how much better in every way their car can handle where they drive!
DogRunner2 likes this.
post #10 of 26 Old September 29th, 2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Member #267812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pound Sand View Post
I build the spring lengths and rate choices for the customers needs. Weights and cargo and terrain are significant parts of the equation to make spring rate choices.

Its NOT a one size fits all deal. It’s weird that some owners will purchase these general, generic spring rate choices spring kits? And add the fact that some kits don’t even give the spring rates your purchasing??? Sounds like a great deal to me?
Why would owners not want the best bang for the buck when purchasing springs to help improve the handling of thier expensive car Best possible?

Most owners have no idea how much better in every way their car can handle where they drive!
Im absolutely in the market for a spring set up for my car. Could you send me a PM with what information you’d like to have to create a set up for me?
post #11 of 26 Old September 29th, 2019, 05:07 PM

Member #223617
View dafish's Photo Gallery(0)

Perry, I appreciate some vendors offer solutions without crossover, but It takes away the opportunity to adjust your crossover point I suggest you ensure you select a vendor that includes crossovers. Personally I like the SDI (suspension direct) crossovers, but let your vendor guide you. I too hear good things about Ed, although Iíve decided to make my own decisions on springs. As to valving, I wonít invest any money on my existing front walkers. Iíll want something with user adjustable damping and rebound that is velocity sensitive. Which means buying better fronts. I sort of like the 2.5Ē walker velocities, but once again thats a ďtalk to your vendorĒ thing.

If it matters, I steer clear of ST for a few reasons, And donít care for the RT solutions only because they donít use crossovers. Which still leaves plenty of options. Btw, assuming you have walkers, you might talk them too. Iíbe found them pretty reasonable.
post #12 of 26 Old September 29th, 2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Member #267812
At this point I’m not looking for a complete revalve or shock replacement. I’d like to think the WE shocks on my RZR could provide me with everything I’m looking for with a spring job. Just researching, as a Suspension noob, it looks like the dual rate with a crossover is the way to go. Again, being this is my first SXS I’ve got nothing to compare to. I just need to get with a trusted source that actually cares about their customer experience vs just taking their money.
post #13 of 26 Old September 30th, 2019, 09:02 AM
Ed, The Suspension Guy

First Name: Ed
My RZR: Xp1000, XP900
Member #12748
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
View Pound Sand's Photo Gallery(0)

How much performance a owner gets from ANY SHOCK, depends on how it’s setup inside and out!

For example,
The walker 2.0 front can be set up to work excellent! (With my set up anyway). But!!! It has its limits being a smaller shock overall. It does not stand up to a ton of punishment. It will fade worse and more quickly as the temps rise and cannot cool fast enough. And it is more susceptible to breakage and failures.
But it’s great and will work well for the if not not pushed super hard for longer periods.
The problem is, when we make the car work so good, the smile meter goes way up, as well as driving confidants, and most drivers will step up their driving level and start to push the car to the new levels it’s now capable of.

If owners tell me they want to be able to drive at faster and more aggressive levels?? Rather than spend the cash to build the 2.0 that the owner may over drive in the end? Then I usually let them know they should probably step up to the 2.5 walker evans fronts. I have tuned and sold hundreds of these shocks!! So the tune has been constantly improved to the present level.
The shock is only as good as its tune! As with any Walker evans, Fox, King or any other brand.

Sadly, many owners have had bad or unfavorable experiences with particular shock brands and or packages. They feel that experience is the full example of that particular product without consideration for how the shock was set Up in the first place. The potential for a 2.5 or 3.0 shock is huge when set up properly. But if a driver/owner has never had the chance to drive and or realize these potentials? Then they will never know, until that new experience is realized. Until then, they gauge their opinion on the only unfavorable experiences they have. It’s tough! There are so many choices now days and it seams more and more people coming out of the wood work claiming to be suspension tuners. I’m sure they all have good intentions and hopefully will make an improvement.
But the owner has to ask themselves, how much better do you want your car for your money??? That’s the question!

So get out and drive, and increase those experiences to have a more extensive knowledge of what’s available to get the most for the owners personal car needs and wants.
post #14 of 26 Old September 30th, 2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Member #267812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pound Sand View Post
How much performance a owner gets from ANY SHOCK, depends on how it’s setup inside and out!

For example,
The walker 2.0 front can be set up to work excellent! (With my set up anyway). But!!! It has its limits being a smaller shock overall. It does not stand up to a ton of punishment. It will fade worse and more quickly as the temps rise and cannot cool fast enough. And it is more susceptible to breakage and failures.
But it’s great and will work well for the if not not pushed super hard for longer periods.
The problem is, when we make the car work so good, the smile meter goes way up, as well as driving confidants, and most drivers will step up their driving level and start to push the car to the new levels it’s now capable of.

If owners tell me they want to be able to drive at faster and more aggressive levels?? Rather than spend the cash to build the 2.0 that the owner may over drive in the end? Then I usually let them know they should probably step up to the 2.5 walker evans fronts. I have tuned and sold hundreds of these shocks!! So the tune has been constantly improved to the present level.
The shock is only as good as its tune! As with any Walker evans, Fox, King or any other brand.

Sadly, many owners have had bad or unfavorable experiences with particular shock brands and or packages. They feel that experience is the full example of that particular product without consideration for how the shock was set Up in the first place. The potential for a 2.5 or 3.0 shock is huge when set up properly. But if a driver/owner has never had the chance to drive and or realize these potentials? Then they will never know, until that new experience is realized. Until then, they gauge their opinion on the only unfavorable experiences they have. It’s tough! There are so many choices now days and it seams more and more people coming out of the wood work claiming to be suspension tuners. I’m sure they all have good intentions and hopefully will make an improvement.
But the owner has to ask themselves, how much better do you want your car for your money??? That’s the question!

So get out and drive, and increase those experiences to have a more extensive knowledge of what’s available to get the most for the owners personal car needs and wants.
All I’m looking for is a smoother trail ride over the rough stuff. Right now I’ve literally got a single spring system with nothing more than a spacer on top. I’m 40 years old, at this point in my life I’m not racing. I get a little “spirited” every now and then when the trail open up but I’m by no means launching this thing over jumps on a regular basis. The trails we ride are generally located in rockier areas. Most of the time it’s 5-10mph or less. I don’t feel an entire rebuild or shock replacement should be required just to get a smoother trail ride at 5mph. I don’t want it so plush I bottom out but I’d like it to handle the bumps better.
post #15 of 26 Old September 30th, 2019, 06:42 PM
APM

Member #271386
View APM's Photo Gallery(0)

Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean when you talk about crossovers? I'm 66 and have a 900 xp that I will never push to it's limit or do any significant jumps, so smoother suspension would be wonderful for my cruise mode driving.
Thanks
Alan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode