Lost on gear ratios - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
RZR XP 1000 Discussions for the all new Polaris RZR XP 1000 Sponsored by: Marshall Powersports

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old May 31st, 2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Member #211097
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
View Vmaxpro's Photo Gallery(0)
Lost on gear ratios

Friggin polaris I am so confused right now. Ive got a 2017 xp1k. What the hell gears do I have lol! Lets say I order a Satv 12% reduction. It only says 2014+ yet Ive heard ratios changed through out the years. All Im looking for is if I go with 32 inch tires to remain similar to factory. Thanks to any responses because this is kind of annoying lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old May 31st, 2019, 12:26 PM

Member #23438
Garage
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
View RZR_Joe's Photo Gallery(9)
post #3 of 16 Old June 1st, 2019, 06:55 AM

First Name: Ron
My RZR: 2019 XP 1000 Ride Command
Member #160905
Garage
View Ron.S's Photo Gallery(0)
Re: Lost on gear ratios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmaxpro View Post
Friggin polaris I am so confused right now. Ive got a 2017 xp1k. What the hell gears do I have lol! Lets say I order a Satv 12% reduction. It only says 2014+ yet Ive heard ratios changed through out the years. All Im looking for is if I go with 32 inch tires to remain similar to factory. Thanks to any responses because this is kind of annoying lol
They geared down the 2017 XP about 12 % but I think it occurred after the first of the year. You might have to check with your dealer to find out for certain. I had a 2017 built in the spring of 17 that was geared 12% lower, dealer said it was a “running change” & that early 17 builds weren’t geared down. Probably used up parts before making the change. I am running 32’s on my 2019 with the super ATV kit that effectively gets me back close to stock gearing with the larger tires. That kit was advertised at 24% when I bought it but is now only 12% on the newer XP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old June 1st, 2019, 07:06 AM
Aspiring Perfectionist

First Name: Richard
My RZR: 2018 XP4 Turbo
Member #70552
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
View RWB713's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron.S View Post
Quote:
They geared down the 2017 XP about 12 % but I think it occurred after the first of the year. You might have to check with your dealer to find out for certain. I had a 2017 built in the spring of 17 that was geared 12% lower, dealer said it was a “running change” & that early 17 builds weren’t geared down. Probably used up parts before making the change. I am running 32’s on my 2019 with the super ATV kit that effectively gets me back close to stock gearing with the larger tires. That kit was advertised at 24% when I bought it but is now only 12% on the newer XP.

Check with the dealer....lol... that's a good one. I wouldn't believe a thing any dealer told me about the internals of the gearcase, they're just taking a wild guess to have some sort of answer to your question most times.

Check the threads Joe linked above, all the info you need and then some is in there

"I strive for a level of perfection I don't possess the skillset to achieve"
2018 XPT4 - Bailey

Help me get some info in these threads: Tire Height --- Front Diff
post #5 of 16 Old June 1st, 2019, 07:12 AM

Member #160905
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB713 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Check with the dealer....lol... that's a good one. I wouldn't believe a thing any dealer told me about the internals of the gearcase, they're just taking a wild guess to have some sort of answer to your question most times.

Check the threads Joe linked above, all the info you need and then some is in there
I guess you missed the part about the 17 having two different gear sets. Someone will need to check his serial number against the change date. My dealer had that information.
post #6 of 16 Old June 1st, 2019, 08:25 AM
Aspiring Perfectionist

Member #70552
Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB713 View Post
Quote:

I guess you missed the part about the 17 having two different gear sets. Someone will need to check his serial number against the change date. My dealer had that information.
There's no record of that in any parts listing or diagram, there's two gearcases for the 17, one is the normal 1k, one is for the TRE & HL. As far as the normal 1k, it's the same gearing from 2016-2019. The PN of the case did change from 16-17, but the gears stayed the same.

Regardless, all you have to do is match the PN on your gearcase to the PN in the parts diagram. The dealer can't tell you anything you can't find out yourself.

2018 XPT4 - Bailey

post #7 of 16 Old June 1st, 2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Member #211097
Well I can tell you guys that I can easily do 40 in low range, so Im guessing if I get the satv reduction go for the 25%?
post #8 of 16 Old June 1st, 2019, 09:10 AM
Aspiring Perfectionist

Member #70552
Garage

Quote:
Well I can tell you guys that I can easily do 40 in low range, so Im guessing if I get the satv reduction go for the 25%?
The Simple Answer: Yes.

2018 XPT4 - Bailey

post #9 of 16 Old June 1st, 2019, 09:18 AM

Member #23438
Garage
If you read the links I posted it will tell you everything you need to know as RWB said.

Ron-
I think your dealer is pulling your leg as there was no change in the 1k in '17. I would not trust any Polaris dealer info, they know little to nothing 90% of the time.
post #10 of 16 Old June 1st, 2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Member #211097
Rzrjoe, thank you for the links very helpful!
post #11 of 16 Old June 1st, 2019, 01:11 PM

Member #160905
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR_Joe View Post
If you read the links I posted it will tell you everything you need to know as RWB said.

Ron-
I think your dealer is pulling your leg as there was no change in the 1k in '17. I would not trust any Polaris dealer info, they know little to nothing 90% of the time.
The dealer contacted S ATV to be sure before installing them Then I emailed S ATV to get it in writing. Their reply confirmed what the Dealer told me in that they said it would be about 12% not 24%. I didn’t install them in my 17 but did in my 19 and the 12% feels about right. My dealer does a lot of gear changes and they are trustworthy. That said it’s been 2 years and I may be confused about our conversation, anything’s possible. I am positive that I bought the 24% kit & only got 12%.
post #12 of 16 Old June 1st, 2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Member #211097
Ron, did you happen to run 32” tires? Im pretty happy with it stock, but seeing guys around me with 32’s do the same trails I want them!
post #13 of 16 Old June 1st, 2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Member #211097
Ignore that last post, I didnt see your posting Ron sorry man! Thanks guys tons of help
post #14 of 16 Old June 2nd, 2019, 03:34 AM

Member #23438
Garage

post #15 of 16 Old June 5th, 2019, 04:56 AM

First Name: Carl
My RZR: 2016 XP1K
Member #132361
View RZRWorks's Photo Gallery(0)
There was no “gear change” in ‘17. I can offer multiple Low Range options based on the riding that you do without sacrificing your High range speed. Email me [email protected] or PM
RZR_Joe likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode