119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 Old May 22nd, 2019, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

First Name: Noob
Member #269698
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
View HK45's Photo Gallery(0)
How Many Wished They Got The Turbo?

Trying to decide on whether or not to forget about the turbo. There are only 2 reasons why I want a turbo: the beefier drivetrain and the dunes. The problem is Iíll only be hitting the dunes a few times a year. The other many handful of times will be on trails and rocks, hence why I am considering the XP 1000 is plenty for what I need. Yes I know of the Trails & Rocks LE with lower gears, but still even trying to determine if the extra $5k is worth it for the TRE.

Because it will be mainly used on trails and crawling, I will absolutely put a Duraclutch on it so I can throw some 32s on there and also reap the benefits of some engine breaking. Not to mention the belt life the Duraclutch offers.

But long story short, I still want to rip on the dunes. Will the 1000 still perform well on the dunes and just flat out riding? Or will I be wanting more?
JDenton929 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old May 22nd, 2019, 05:07 AM

First Name: Trevor
My RZR: 14 XP1K
Member #5103
View Riddler6.7's Photo Gallery(1)
Re: How Many Wished They Got The Turbo?

If you want to go to the dunes, get the Turbo, period!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
FRAZR and Rockwerx like this.

2014 XP 1000 Black pearl
Sparks 1065cc, Silber Turbo kit, ARP head studs, Carrillo Rods, 9.0:1 CP Pistons, AEM infinity, Alba STM supertip clutch kit, Crow 5pt Harnesses, 30" CREE dual row light bar, OTRATTW switches, mod quad switch panel, 4' Quicklight, Pawltector parking brake, UTVgiant center seat, KFI stealth 4500 winch, UTVgiant roof, ISOTA lower doors, xp4 tender swap
post #3 of 70 Old May 22nd, 2019, 07:14 AM
Premium Member

My RZR: 17 XPT4, 14 xp1k
Member #2419
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
View moneypit's Photo Gallery(0)

I have both. The turbo has cab heat and under loads it gets toasty at times. The extra power is nice for sure. My xp1k still rips in the dunes too, without the heater being on...
When it gets above 90 its time to remove the windshield. If your up in the high country its kinda nice to have the warmth.
Get what you can afford and enjoy it.

14 xp1k black pearl
HCR/FUTV/warn/SSV/Beard's/DJ/tribal's/Rigid/PA doors/Isota/axia/MS lok2/Motovators
17 XPT4 Cruiser black
HCR/Motovators/MSA lok2/BD lighting/SSV/PA doors/Beard seats/Tribal's/Isota/FUTV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 Old May 22nd, 2019, 08:44 AM

My RZR: 2018 XP1000 Black
Member #241858
View BWXT's Photo Gallery(0)

I went back and forth on this, but hereís my opinion. The turbo has beefier drivetrain parts, but youíre also running a lot more power through it. Go on youtube and youíll see the turbos break just as much as the 1k when beat on. The heavier steering parts and bigger brakes are nice to have, but I also feel like the brakes on my 1k are rock solid.

To me it came down to ďdo I really need, or even want the extra power?Ē Of course, who doesnít want more power? But there are some downsides; You have to run premium fuel which can be hard to come by in remote areas, itís recommended to allow longer idle time after riding before shutting down the engine, and of course the added complexity of the machine for repairs and maintenance. Also cab heat as others mentioned, and price.

Iíve got ~600 miles on my machine and Iím an aggressive trail rider on the East coast. Never once did I feel like I needed more power. Itís hard to break 60mph on the trails I ride without feeling like youíre either beating the machine, or itís just plain dangerous. I will never ride dunes. There are none near me and it just doesnít appeal to me at all. In a local race series the turbos donít have an advantage because you can only push the belts so far. In last years Baja 1000 the 1st place N/A car actually finished ahead of the first place turbo car. Both RZRs.

The TRE to me was just too much coin to justify what you got. If I could have gotten the gearing for an extra thousand bucks Iíd have jumped on it. But the rest of the add-ons I prefer to do myself and make it my own.

I donít regret buying the XP1K over the turbo, but there are a lot of guys who do. If I HAD got the turbo, I donít think Iíd regret that either. Just perfectly happy with my choice is all. The turbo is better than the 1k in many ways, but itís not for everyone.
SpdBump, Wheel, Rockwerx and 4 others like this.
post #5 of 70 Old May 22nd, 2019, 10:08 AM

Member #64360
Garage
View Wheel's Photo Gallery(0)

Over 4K miles on my Ď14 xp1k. When I bought it there was no turbo. I was bummed when the turbo came out. Iíve ridden dunes a few times, and more power is nice.

However.

My 1k runs like mad. Especially since dialing the clutch for my altitude, I have no complaints about power on trails. Iíve done a ECU tune from superatv, eliminating the torque limits and low-Range speed limit. With the clutch and ECU, up at sand mountain I had no trouble at all keeping up with an x3rs.

The 1k has the power and immediacy to get me going faster on a trail than is reasonably safe in just a few seconds.

Honestly, The appeal of the turbo still lurks. But Iím not disappointed in my 1k at all. Itís solid, and makes enough power to have fun in the sand when I want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rockwerx and BWXT like this.
post #6 of 70 Old May 22nd, 2019, 10:36 AM

Member #23438
Garage
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
View RZR_Joe's Photo Gallery(9)

Bottom line, the XPT (S) is a better machine in EVERY category than a XP.
post #7 of 70 Old May 22nd, 2019, 11:54 AM

My RZR: 2017 XP 1000
Member #189721
View madsonp's Photo Gallery(0)

Non-turbo is plenty fast enough for me, but of course...............I'm getting old.
roadiestar, Spkr and SlickRock like this.
post #8 of 70 Old May 22nd, 2019, 03:30 PM

My RZR: 2016 RZR XP 1000
Member #85429
View VinnieMaxx's Photo Gallery(0)

3,000 on my 16 XP1K and love it. Do I want 168HP over 110HP yes do I need it no. Live in MN and ride lost of mud and hard trails. Hauled it to St Anthony last September with the big horns at 8 PSI and it was fine and a ton of fun. Man you go through the fuel in the sand WOW!!!! I also saved 5K so now I have all the goodies at the cost of a bare bones TURBO. To each their own the XP1K will pull dunes and you will smile will it high mark like a TURBO or get there as fast? NO but it is still the best drug every ripping the dunes. I am going back with my trusty old XP1K.
Wheel and Rockwerx like this.
post #9 of 70 Old May 22nd, 2019, 05:18 PM

Member #264286
View maicoman's Photo Gallery(0)

sure I would like to have the turbo hp, but 75% of my riding is in tight slow rocky goat trails in AZ, I'll just do with what we have as it works great and it's paid for
way back in 2014, the only turbo's out there were aftermarket kits that cost a bunch.
Wheel and Spkr like this.

with age comes the cage
post #10 of 70 Old May 22nd, 2019, 07:42 PM

Member #64360
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR_Joe View Post

Price is a category. Also, reliability and cabin heat are categories as well. Rock-crawling is a category.

The XP is a better machine in AT LEAST these four categories. Just saying.

harper531 likes this.
post #11 of 70 Old May 22nd, 2019, 08:01 PM
Aspiring Perfectionist

First Name: Richard
My RZR: 2018 XP4 Turbo
Member #70552
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
View RWB713's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel View Post
Quote:

Price is a category. Also, reliability and cabin heat are categories as well. Rock-crawling is a category.

Awfully bold statements...

Price is lower on the 1k, that doesnít make it better, unless your purely basing your choice on price, in which case, the 570 is best!

I will acknowledge there is more cabin heat in a Turbo, but more Cabin heat is better in the winter, so that one is a draw, unless your purely basing your choice on the least cabin heat, in which case the 570 is best!

reliability is entirely dependent on the care taken of the machine, and with Polaris it can be a matter f luck. Iíve never had an issue that wasnít self inflicted with my turbo in 1675 miles, a guy with 10k miles on a 16 XPT just posted the other day, and I see just as many people post issues with 1kís as I do Turbos on here.

and rock crawling....... that oneís just funny, neither machine is ďbetterĒ at rock crawling, since itís primarily driver dependent, but the Turbo has components that are better suited for the abuse

-Give it a second... it had to go to space and back first ( Sent from the lifeline that is my iPhone XS Max )

"I strive for a level of perfection I don't possess the skillset to achieve"
2018 XPT4 - Bailey

Help me get some info in these threads: Tire Height --- Front Diff
post #12 of 70 Old May 22nd, 2019, 08:20 PM

Member #64360
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB713 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel View Post
Quote:

Awfully bold statements...

Price is lower on the 1k, that doesnít make it better, unless your purely basing your choice on price, in which case, the 570 is best!

I will acknowledge there is more cabin heat in a Turbo, but more Cabin heat is better in the winter, so that one is a draw, unless your purely basing your choice on the least cabin heat, in which case the 570 is best!

reliability is entirely dependent on the care taken of the machine, and with Polaris it can be a matter f luck. Iíve never had an issue that wasnít self inflicted with my turbo in 1675 miles, a guy with 10k miles on a 16 XPT just posted the other day, and I see just as many people post issues with 1kís as I do Turbos on here.

and rock crawling....... that oneís just funny, neither machine is ďbetterĒ at rock crawling, since itís primarily driver dependent, but the Turbo has components that are better suited for the abuse

-Give it a second... it had to go to space and back first ( Sent from the lifeline that is my iPhone XS Max )

Lol. I donít remember the topic of this thread having anything to do with the 570. You said the XPT is better in every category than the xp1k. Youíre creating a dialogue irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Iím pretty sure the XPT has taller gearing. Thereís also the issue of turbo lag, both negatives in the world of rock crawling. As for the ďbetter suitedĒ components, I donít agree. They are better suited to the amount of power one might apply using a 168hp motor. Not sure they would hold up any better than an xp1k, honestly. Just the gearing alone is enough to win this category.

Yes, price is a category, and in the category of price, the xp1k is the winner. How are you even trying to argue that? The 570 has nothing to do with this thread. The xp1k is better for my retirement fund. Period.

Sure, cabin heat can be a plus in the winter. Iíll give you that. But you can put heat in the cabin of an xp1k to make it warmer in the winter. You canít take heat OUT of the XPT, in the warmer months. Clearly, there will be times when the XPT will be uncomfortably warm, and the xp1k will not. Potentially, this could mean the XPT will have a shorter window of usefulness than the xp1k. The xp1k therefore wins in this category.

As for reliability, thereís no doubt there will be some high/mile turbos. Still, trying to argue that a turbocharged machine will have better reliability and longevity than its N/A counterpart is disingenuous. There are just more points of failure, some of which can be catastrophic.

post #13 of 70 Old May 22nd, 2019, 08:23 PM
Premium Member

First Name: DONNY
My RZR: 2014 PACE Z1 1000
Member #19554
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
View dartersracing's Photo Gallery(16)

Going to be honest I have 2 2012 XP900, 1 2016 XP1K4, 1 2015 XP1K4 Z1, and a Turbo S, since I got the turbo S I have not used anything else, it does rock crawling, dunes, trails, and desert so well that it is really the only car I need! Even my Dad likes it so much he has been riding shot gun, it has the comfort, power, and reliability that I have been looking for for a long time!
Wheel, RWB713, UtahMarv and 2 others like this.

2015 CUSTOM 4 SEATER WITH PACE OFFROAD Z1
CENCAL SXS AND CUSTOM BUILDS MANTECA CA
209-373-5336 DONNY DARTER
post #14 of 70 Old May 22nd, 2019, 08:44 PM

Member #264262
View machineguy's Photo Gallery(0)

I wish I would have gotten a turbo now that Ive had mine a bit. Maybe not so much for the power, but mainly for the beefier drive train.
Rockwerx likes this.

2017 XP 1000. All stock
post #15 of 70 Old May 22nd, 2019, 08:56 PM
Mr. & Mrs. PewPewPew

First Name: Kat & Chris
My RZR: 2019 RZR Turbo 4 Dynamix
Member #79033
View KC Desert's Photo Gallery(0)

There is no perceptible lag with this tiny turbo. I have had a WRX, want to feel lag? Try that on. Get the turbo. I had a regular 900 then a General then a Turbo. XPT wins wins WINS. I trail ride, no dunes here buddy and it owns everything I throw at it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in