grooves in secondary - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
RZR XP 1000 Discussions for the all new Polaris RZR XP 1000 Sponsored by: Marshall Powersports

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Principal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old April 23rd, 2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
2017 XP 1000

Member #268856
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
View Principal's Photo Gallery(0)
Usa grooves in secondary

I just purchased my first RZR XP 1000 about a month ago. I've had several other machines that were plagued with issues, however today I changed my belt and noticed the secondary had several noticeable grooves in it. The belt didn't need replaced, but I took notice that it was a Gates belt and I'm not a fan after tearing through 3 of them on my maverick turbo.

The machine I bought has 1300 miles on it and appears in perfect mechanical shape. I'm wondering if these "grooves" will effect belt life dramatically and if so what is my best replacement? Dropping $200 on another belt in a week or two might add up quickly if that is in fact the case.

Thoughts? Are small grooves normal? Should I pull the secondary and have them resurfaced? or should I just let it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old April 23rd, 2019, 07:32 PM

Member #24860
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
View controlled force's Photo Gallery(0)
Re: grooves in secondary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principal View Post
I just purchased my first RZR XP 1000 about a month ago. I've had several other machines that were plagued with issues, however today I changed my belt and noticed the secondary had several noticeable grooves in it. The belt didn't need replaced, but I took notice that it was a Gates belt and I'm not a fan after tearing through 3 of them on my maverick turbo.

The machine I bought has 1300 miles on it and appears in perfect mechanical shape. I'm wondering if these "grooves" will effect belt life dramatically and if so what is my best replacement? Dropping $200 on another belt in a week or two might add up quickly if that is in fact the case.

Thoughts? Are small grooves normal? Should I pull the secondary and have them resurfaced? or should I just let it be?
Post a pic and I'll be able to tell you

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

post #3 of 14 Old April 24th, 2019, 04:13 AM
Official Site Vendor

First Name: Todd
My RZR: 2018 XP1000 and Ranger 1000
Member #47437
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
View Hunterworks's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:

As mentioned above, pics would help

If needed, we have secondary clutches and our belts for far less than $200

www.hunterworks.com

Todd
Office phone: 601-771-0070
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old April 24th, 2019, 06:23 AM

First Name: Roger
My RZR: 2015 1K
Member #69952
View Roger Lee's Photo Gallery(0)

I have right at 12K miles on my Rzr 1K. At about 7500-8K miles my secondary had ridges not grooves and as the belt would go over these 3 ridges it felt like a tranny was shifting slightly as the belt passed over the ridges. These were small ridges and from what I can gather these were formed because I do a lot or riding around 10-20 MPH on trails and 30-40 on flatter smooth roads. So these are spots on the secondary that get worn more than other areas because of more belt time at those spots. I throttle jockey that is all over the spectrum may not have these, but us normal trail riders that tend to stay in certain rpm and speed areas may see extra wear in 1-2 spots causing these ridges. I replaced my primary with an OEM clutch and adjustable weights and bought a secondary with heavy duty parts from Hunterworks and I'm not trying the heavy duty belt from them. So far so good. I'll put on another 2500 - 3K miles this summer so we'll take a look in Sept.
post #5 of 14 Old April 24th, 2019, 08:55 AM

Member #24860
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
View controlled force's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Quote:

So here's the problem with your cheap belts...
I had a car come in my shop with one of your gates belts when driving it in the shop I noticed a high engagement 2300 RPM, I ask him if he had a clutch kit and he said no,also I noticed the secondary was spinning while in park,so just to prove a theory i put your belt on my personal car that engage's about 1700, with your belt on my car it engaged at 2300 and the secondary started spinning My car never did that with a stock belt...very strange, So I took your belt and put it on 2 other cars in my shop and it did the exact same thing, I only run Polairs belts, Some people have had ok luck with gates belts but the majority people that I know have had nothing but problems so the bottom line is you get what you pay for, Rocky Mountain ATV has factory Polairs belts for a around a $130 with free shipping.

Everyone I know that has purchased your belts has thrown them back in the storage bag as a backup for emergency use and went back to OEM.

post #6 of 14 Old April 24th, 2019, 11:10 AM

My RZR: 2018 XP1000 Black
Member #241858
View BWXT's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlled force View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I had a car come in my shop with one of your gates belts when driving it in the shop I noticed a high engagement 2300 RPM, I ask him if he had a clutch kit and he said no,also I noticed the secondary was spinning while in park,so just to prove a theory i put your belt on my personal car that engage's about 1700, with your belt on my car it engaged at 2300 and the secondary started spinning My car never did that with a stock belt...very strange, So I took your belt and put it on 2 other cars in my shop and it did the exact same thing, I only run Polairs belts, Some people have had ok luck with gates belts but the majority people that I know have had nothing but problems so the bottom line is you get what you pay for, Rocky Mountain ATV has factory Polairs belts for a around a $130 with free shipping.

Everyone I know that has purchased your belts has thrown them back in the storage bag as a backup for emergency use and went back to OEM.

I don’t want to speak for Todd, but I believe he was referring to the belts that he developed personally, not the Gates. I’ve heard Todd state several times that the Gates belt is too short resulting in the issues you mentioned, and that he generally does not recommend them. The only good things about the Gates is the price and that when they fail, they don’t string-out and wrap around the clutches.
post #7 of 14 Old April 24th, 2019, 01:49 PM

First Name: David
My RZR: 2017 XP White Reflex Blue
Member #161625
Garage
View RZRdavid's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:

I just changed my Gates belt after 700 miles. The belt and clutches looked brand new. Doubt it was the belt.

I don't do a lot of speeds that fully shift the clutch out, so over-shifting the Gates didn't happen enough to me to mess up the belt.

Grooves are not normal, but I'm not a clutch expert. So some pictures to the guys on the forum and they will tell you what is up.

I now run the thick primary washer to prevent over-shifting and I run the thick belt , both from @Hunterworks .

Good luck.
post #8 of 14 Old April 25th, 2019, 04:41 AM
Official Site Vendor

Member #47437

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlled force View Post
Quote:
Quote:

You are talking about Gates, Hunterworks does not make Gates belts and we now make our own.

www.hunterworks.com

Todd
post #9 of 14 Old April 25th, 2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
2017 XP 1000

Member #268856
Garage

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1556208832.059808.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	575876Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0512.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	575878Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0506.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	575880

I guess looking at a picture of it its not too bad?

Also apparently the secondary is a “team” product? Would that explain engagement at around 2200-2400 rpm?

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net
post #10 of 14 Old April 25th, 2019, 10:10 AM

My RZR: 2018 XP1000 Black
Member #241858
View BWXT's Photo Gallery(0)

Mine says team as well. Do you clean your clutches out after riding? Cause you should. And you also need to get those effing square pucks out of there!
post #11 of 14 Old April 25th, 2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
2017 XP 1000

Member #268856
Garage

Are the square pucks no good?

post #12 of 14 Old April 25th, 2019, 03:24 PM

First Name: Troy
My RZR: 14 RZR1000 2 seater
Member #47129
Garage
View AZ_TR0Y's Photo Gallery(0)

Square pucks wear the secondary faster and need to be replaced.
Tons of great reading on the hunterworks web page

https://www.hunterworks.com

2014 rzr1000 2 seater.
post #13 of 14 Old April 26th, 2019, 05:04 AM
Official Site Vendor

Member #47437

Quote:
Attachment 575876Attachment 575878Attachment 575880

I guess looking at a picture of it its not too bad?

Also apparently the secondary is a “team” product? Would that explain engagement at around 2200-2400 rpm?

The grooves do not look that bad, I would take off, use a scotch write pad and a brake clean and scrub the belt surface up. Then also look on the right side of the square pucks for wear.

As mentioned get those out ASAP, you can use our install video for the rollers to show you how to get it apart and put back together.

https://www.hunterworks.com/inc/sdetail/56301/74234

Todd

www.hunterworks.com

Todd
post #14 of 14 Old April 26th, 2019, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
2017 XP 1000

Member #268856
Garage

Just ordered round pucks from you guys ... thank you

Hunterworks likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode