Review on Hunterworks thick belt - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
RZR XP 1000 Discussions for the all new Polaris RZR XP 1000 Sponsored by: Marshall Powersports

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old March 20th, 2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

First Name: Roger
My RZR: 2015 1K
Member #69952
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
View Roger Lee's Photo Gallery(0)
Review on Hunterworks thick belt

Just a prologue:
I have a 2015 RZR 1K EXP 2 seater. I have right at 12K miles. I drive like a normal person and do not abuse my Rzr. My trail riding is usually between 10-20 mph and my smooth road between 30-40. Some riding lower than 10 in rough terrain and occasionally at 45 mph. My original OEM belt lasted 3500 miles and I just tossed it and put on a Gates belt and it and the next one lasted 3500 miles each. All three belts always looked good when I changed them. I did have a lot of belt/clutch squeal and high rpm belt noise, but no issues.

So I decided to try the Hunterworks thick belt to compare.
I broke the belt in for 30 miles in low at varying speeds and towards the end in high at 30 mph. I now have about 230 miles on it. It does seem to engage at lower rpms better, but does have a little squeal for 2 seconds as you just start. It is much quieter after you get going than the the OEM or Gates. It seems to stay engaged much better at low down hill rpms with engine braking. It does run 15F hotter across the board than the others, but that can probably be expected with a thicker heavier belt. I run a Razorback temp gauge.
So far everything seems to be good and other than the temp increase and tiny squeal (minor) at take off I have no complaints and it seems to work well. There is no fixing belt noise and if you have it you have it.
By the end of August I'll have around 3000 miles on the belt and will know more.
Dunepilot and Carhauler38 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old March 20th, 2019, 05:40 PM

Member #264946
View Odogtriever's Photo Gallery(0)
Re: Review on Hunterworks thick belt

Wow you really put on the miles! How much of that is street driving? What's the cost compared to oem? If it engages quicker do you feel any low end increase in power?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 39 Old March 20th, 2019, 05:45 PM

My RZR: 900S
Member #48027
View btrshoes's Photo Gallery(0)

I too am curious about this. I switched to the thick belt and the roller upgrade. I smelled rubber alot the first day, hardly at all the second day...this weekend will be the 3rd ride. reason I went to heavier belt is I installed 32s...So im not surprised if the belt burns or shreds. Im waiting to see...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old March 20th, 2019, 06:55 PM

First Name: Steve
My RZR: 2015 900 S GTX Black Pearl
Member #11566
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
View RMR Man's Photo Gallery(0)

I put on the HW thick belt, after the factory belt and then a Gates HD belt from HW. 4500 miles between the first 2 belts. The first 2 performed as expected and gave very good control from low speed to WOT.
Did 47 miles of rather rough and steep trails last weekend, and this new thick belt was amazing. The low speed control and grunting out of some nasty uphills was fantastic. The only thing I didn't like, was it sounded like a bird singing during low speed level driving, up until about 10 mph. At $124 or so, I think it's going to worth the extra money.
post #5 of 39 Old March 21st, 2019, 04:03 AM
Official Site Vendor

First Name: Todd
My RZR: 2018 XP1000 and Ranger 1000
Member #47437
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
View Hunterworks's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrshoes View Post
I too am curious about this. I switched to the thick belt and the roller upgrade. I smelled rubber alot the first day, hardly at all the second day...this weekend will be the 3rd ride. reason I went to heavier belt is I installed 32s...So im not surprised if the belt burns or shreds. Im waiting to see...
From our Belt FAQ's

Notice your old belt and you will see you can see the cords on the side all the way around and a new belt ours or a OE the cord is not exposed all the way around, once driven the excess rubber wears off fast and causes a smell sometimes, once broken in that goes away.

www.hunterworks.com

Todd
Office phone: 601-771-0070
post #6 of 39 Old March 21st, 2019, 04:04 AM
Official Site Vendor

Member #47437

Thanks Guys for your comments, we really are trying and not resting until we get these as perfect as they can be. I like feedback good or bad.

Todd
Zonk and d00by like this.

www.hunterworks.com

Todd
post #7 of 39 Old March 21st, 2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

First Name: Roger
My RZR: 2015 1K
Member #69952
View Roger Lee's Photo Gallery(0)

I have done and still do a lot of testing and research in the Light Sport aircraft industry so I try to be methodical and rule in or out as many factors as I can and make sure results are repeatable.

I didn't have any rubber smell. I have that little squeal noise when I take off to about 5 mph for about 2 seconds then all is quiet. The belt engages smoother than my Gates and quicker. The belt has gotten better over the miles of break in. Most of that last couple hundred miles have been dirt, but some asphalt to. I try to stay away from asphalt, but that has become an unreasonable task.
I have Tensor 30x10x14 tires with 8 psi.
The thick belt is more costly than a Gates. I never had an issue with the Gate's except the noise.

So far I'm a happy camper.

p.s.
I do have the Hunterworks secondary clutch parts
post #8 of 39 Old March 21st, 2019, 08:20 AM

First Name: Steve
My RZR: 2017 RZR 1000 xp
Member #80279
Garage
View wiersy111's Photo Gallery(5)

I was saving my Hunterworks thick belt for spring but after blowing a Gates belt (Totaly my own fault) playing in the snow I decided to put the thick belt on early.

I broke it in last fall when I got it just so it was ready to go when I needed it. The engagement is quick and solid, but there is the "chirping" at low speed. I have taken a few higher speed runs with it but it was used mostly for plowing this winter.

Now that spring looks like it might be here it is time to open the clutches and clean everything up real good so I can see how it will perform under normal conditions.

So far all things considered I like it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 39 Old March 21st, 2019, 10:11 AM
rea
Have RZR...will travel

First Name: Bob
My RZR: 2015 1K HL Desert Panther
Member #21304
Garage
View rea's Photo Gallery(6)

I ride on 32" tires and have about 2500 miles on a HW belt. Odor and squeal disappeared long before I reach breakin mileage. Better engagement with no chatter on take off even in reverse and better 'engine braking effect' especially when descending. Temperature seems the same if not lower. Got about 3500 miles on first 3 belts without any breaking. Replaced as I noticed signs of cracking on inside valleys and/or chunking on outside ribs. Hoping for 5 k on HW belt. Does what it claims, better than others in all respects just like those amazing HW rollers with 10k+ miles! Thanks again Todd.

15 RZR 1K HL, 32x10x15R Tusk Kevlar Terrabite tires on MSA M21 beadlocks, WE custom built 2.5" needle valve shocks, WartHog front axles, WE sway bar links, S&B particle separator and air filter, roof, windshield, doors, bumpers, Pro Armor Assault steering wheel, Trail Armor 1/2" skid/sliders, 4500 winch, Ryco street legal kit, RLB, 30" combo light bar, Rugged RM25RW radio/RRP660, Sirius XM/radio, PIDD, F/Rearview camera mirror, tools, recovery, safety & survival gear.
post #10 of 39 Old March 21st, 2019, 10:29 AM
Official Site Vendor

Member #47437

Dang, thanks for the review!!!

www.hunterworks.com

Todd
post #11 of 39 Old March 21st, 2019, 10:59 AM
rea
Have RZR...will travel

First Name: Bob
My RZR: 2015 1K HL Desert Panther
Member #21304
Garage
View rea's Photo Gallery(6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Dang, thanks for the review!!!
Your welcome but no thanks needed! Your products and service speak for themselves.
Hunterworks likes this.

15 RZR 1K HL, 32x10x15R Tusk Kevlar Terrabite tires on MSA M21 beadlocks, WE custom built 2.5" needle valve shocks, WartHog front axles, WE sway bar links, S&B particle separator and air filter, roof, windshield, doors, bumpers, Pro Armor Assault steering wheel, Trail Armor 1/2" skid/sliders, 4500 winch, Ryco street legal kit, RLB, 30" combo light bar, Rugged RM25RW radio/RRP660, Sirius XM/radio, PIDD, F/Rearview camera mirror, tools, recovery, safety & survival gear.
post #12 of 39 Old March 21st, 2019, 07:47 PM

First Name: jacob
My RZR: 2019 XP 1000
Member #266248
View Jake ND's Photo Gallery(0)

I have a stock machine and do mainly trail riding not much mud bogging and no rock crawling so would I be better off with the regular belt ? I did some research and it seems like the thick belt is for the extreme mud boggers and people with big tires. any info would be good im in need for a spare belt or possibly put a hunter belt on immediately since I been hearing good reviews.
post #13 of 39 Old March 22nd, 2019, 04:16 AM
Official Site Vendor

Member #47437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake ND View Post
I have a stock machine and do mainly trail riding not much mud bogging and no rock crawling so would I be better off with the regular belt ? I did some research and it seems like the thick belt is for the extreme mud boggers and people with big tires. any info would be good im in need for a spare belt or possibly put a hunter belt on immediately since I been hearing good reviews.
Our tech articles cover this well, but mainly it is slow guys who need a lot of belt grip should go with the thick and faster rider the Std belt

Thanks
Todd

www.hunterworks.com

Todd
post #14 of 39 Old March 22nd, 2019, 05:17 AM

Member #264946
View Odogtriever's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake ND View Post

Our tech articles cover this well, but mainly it is slow guys who need a lot of belt grip should go with the thick and faster rider the Std belt

Thanks

Todd
What if I ride fast and slow? We do a lot of rock crawling here in Utah and drive really fast in the desert too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #15 of 39 Old March 22nd, 2019, 06:18 AM
Official Site Vendor

Member #47437

Better go with std then, the slow part will be on par with any other belt you can buy

www.hunterworks.com

Todd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode