Slipping out of gear - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
RZR XP 1000 Discussions for the all new Polaris RZR XP 1000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old September 5th, 2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Member #256838
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
View Crowerivercommuter's Photo Gallery(0)
Slipping out of gear

2018 xp1k. Had this happen three or four times so far .While driving along the shift lever moves out of high and stops between high and low resulting in the machine just coasting like it's in neutral but the throttle is not responsive.
Once I put it back into high everything works with no problems.
I would like to know if this is just another quirky Polaris thing or if it is a symptom of a greater problem. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old September 5th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Official Site Vendor

First Name: Jason
My RZR: Turbo Apex RZR & Z1 RZR
Member #747
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
View HawkEng's Photo Gallery(0)
Re: Slipping out of gear

make sure the shift lever is not resting on anything when you have it in HI range. I have seen this before and it was a twisted shift drum in the tranny. Tranny has to be removed and replace the shift drum. Fixed it both times.

I specialize in Z1 conversion kits and now LS ENGINE CONVERSION KITS for the Polaris RZR
573-579-8295. Check out our custom coach builds too. www.hawkengineering.com.
post #3 of 10 Old September 6th, 2018, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Member #256838
View Crowerivercommuter's Photo Gallery(0)
What would cause this on a relatively new machine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old September 9th, 2018, 12:57 AM

First Name: Ron
My RZR: 2017 XP 1000 Gold Matte Metallic Rock Crawler Edition
Member #19658
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
View bluetoad7's Photo Gallery(0)

I have seen a shifter cable cause this on my old 800. It was worn from use and needed replacement, but the first symptoms were it would slip out of gear when in low range and go between low and high. Eventually it failed completely. Sometimes it was pretty scary when it happened at the least opportune moment.

Da Blue Toad
post #5 of 10 Old September 9th, 2018, 10:05 AM

Member #82939
View silverstone's Photo Gallery(0)

I had this happen on my 14. Put into high go hard down the trail and it would slip out of high and go into a false neutral between high and low. I disconnected the cable and manually put into high and it stayed in high with no issues. As it turned out it was the cable that had to be properly adjusted. But like Todd (HawkEng) has mentioned it could be the drum.

Hope its the easy fit for you good luck.
post #6 of 10 Old September 9th, 2018, 11:36 AM

First Name: Benny
My RZR: 2017 TRE
Member #132921
View HoustonHayseed's Photo Gallery(0)

I have a 17 TRE and it has occasionally done this since it was new. I have about 2500 miles on the machine with no other transmission problems.
post #7 of 10 Old September 9th, 2018, 12:31 PM

Member #241706
View JC Whitney's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHayseed View Post
I have a 17 TRE and it has occasionally done this since it was new. I have about 2500 miles on the machine with no other transmission problems.
Has happened once and it was right after I crossed a log, the landing must have jarred it just enough to hit false neutral. I thought the belt broke but was between H&L.
post #8 of 10 Old September 12th, 2018, 07:30 AM
Premium Member

First Name: Drew
My RZR: 2017 RZR 1000xp
Member #84420
Garage
View Dholt's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowerivercommuter View Post
2018 xp1k. Had this happen three or four times so far .While driving along the shift lever moves out of high and stops between high and low resulting in the machine just coasting like it's in neutral but the throttle is not responsive.
I would like to know if this is just another quirky Polaris thing or if it is a symptom of a greater problem. Thanks in advance
My 17 has done this since new only during bumpy down hill in high gear off throttle (no load on engine). Low gear is no issue up or down hill at any speed. I have searched looking for answers some say possible bent fork others have seen a missing washer left out of the trans during assembly. Me and a couple friends purchased 3 of the same 17 1kxps same day mine is the only one out of the 3 that has this issue.

I just learned to deal with it and keep pressure on the shifter during down hills in high seems to work it.
post #9 of 10 Old September 12th, 2018, 08:00 AM

Member #23438
Garage
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
View RZR_Joe's Photo Gallery(9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowerivercommuter View Post
My 17 has done this since new only during bumpy down hill in high gear off throttle (no load on engine). Low gear is no issue up or down hill at any speed. I have searched looking for answers some say possible bent fork others have seen a missing washer left out of the trans during assembly. Me and a couple friends purchased 3 of the same 17 1kxps same day mine is the only one out of the 3 that has this issue.

I just learned to deal with it and keep pressure on the shifter during down hills in high seems to work it.
You need to adjust the shifter linkage at the trans, it's not fully engages in H gear. Adjust it 2-3 turn so it pulls the lever towards the front.
post #10 of 10 Old September 12th, 2018, 08:20 AM
craigstumph

My RZR: RZR 1000
Member #59177
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
View craigstumph's Photo Gallery(0)

Joe is correct, the shifter is probably out of adjustment. The dealer could adjust it or you could do it yourself. I personally use aftermarket shifters on my machines. They shift much nicer. I have Venom, Trail Control, and NRP in stock.

Call or Text 801 367 1395
www.proutvparts.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode