Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Harmonic noise at low speed

22K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  DaBudMan 
#1 ·
Howdy. 2017 XP 1000 LE. Getting a weird harmonic noise at low speeds. Dunno what to think. I'll try posting a video. Happens more in high than in low. Thanks for any input. No change in power at all. Can make it go away by throttling up, but it doesn't seem normal.

Well, now I need to learn how to upload videos

#4 ·
My 16 does the same thing. Seems to do it more frequently when I run for a good length of time. There is a thread on here about it. LOTS of us have that sound. Drives me crazy. I just installed hunter works secondary rollers and it reduced the noise quite a bit, but it's still there. Some guys have had success with clutch kits. Some have several thousand miles on there machines with that sound and have had no issues. Even some of the 900 xp's do it.

#5 ·
Mine had a similar noise when I first bought it. I was convinced it was coming from the clutches as well. Ended up being my metal roof vibrating when the motor was hitting certain RPMs, it was so damn loud you couldn't really tell where it was coming from.

I was able to get the noise to happen consistently then have someone start pressing and holding their hands on any sheet metal parts until I found it. I would check all your aftermarket parts, put foam between anything made of sheet metal and the frame.

#8 ·
It's your clutches without a doubt. Mine has done it since day one. I've tried everything. Hunterworks rollers , clutch alignment tool, dalton clutch kit. Only thing left I can do is drop 2k in a duraclutch. Doubt that will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I have a 17 with about 100 miles on it and it's been doing this exact noise since about mile 10. It's definitely coming from the belt and does it at low speeds up until about 10-12 MPH and goes away after that. Seems to do it worse in high but is very noticeable in low also. I plan to take mine back to the dealer after the break in to see what they say. So is this a common problem with these because three other guys I ride with have 1000's and don't have this issue?

#14 ·
I've got a 14 1000 4 seater and it has done it from day one. I have heard that same noise on so many cars I'm no longer concerned!
2500 miles, Sparks clutch kit and same belt for the last 1800 mi.
And the only reason I changed belts was due to the clutch retro fit kit....you all with the newer cars don't have to worry about that!!
Don't worry...this noise actually is normal [emoji1]

Sent from somewhere over there...

#17 ·
Several I've been around do it, my 15 900s did it, a buddy's 14 900 xp did it, my 17 1k does it, all I can tell is that it is a belt/clutch sound at low speeds, and evidently doesn't mean any harm by being there! Bugged me to death till I figured out lots of em do it, then I just mashed the skinny pedal and it went away!! Lol

#18 ·
my 17xp1k does it as well, to me it sounds like the belt is slipping... running in high doing less than 10mph on a small grade is when I hear it the loudest. in low I don't hear it, but I don't hear that well either. we use the Uclear intercom kits and it amplifies the sound and drives me crazy when it does it.
I think I don't hear in in low because I have the rock crawler edition and the gearing is way lower than the other... I think it's the belt slipping, could be the type of material they are making the belts. who knows... but it is an annoying noise that's for sure

if any one figures it out please let us know so we can get rid of the noise.

#24 · (Edited)
Hunter works came out with a new belt that is suppose fix that. Might talk to him.

It works on some- others it doesn't- it's the secondary no real fix... but offset & shaft spacing sure helps.( Need this)

I can tell you one thing my 2019 Trails & Rocks does't make a peep with the stock Polaris belt on- Throw on a Hunters work belt ( even the HD Belt) and it squeals at speeds 10mph and lower.
When with a gates belt and it squeals just as bad....SO option is to try something else..Mine just happens to like the OEM belts..... BTW doesn't hurt a thing except noise..and really sucks during hunting season...

I have had several SXS in my shop that sequel and some don't but switching belts made some stop.. others just had to live with it.
Changed secondaries with mine with a OEM belt and went away- but their secondary back on with my belt and squeals.. but my shaft spacing and offset is spot on also.. so that is something to check.

#26 ·
All stock mine barley made a peep. Put big tires and clutch kit on and it squeals, added the original HW thick belt and it is intolerable ( now that belt is my spare). The bad part is with my gear reduction I run in H more and that is where it is the worst. Tranny is perfectly aligned and locked in with SDI plate. This spring I’m going to try the new belt myself.

Sent from my iPad using RZRForums.net

#27 ·
Ah, you left all this out.

So the stock one did it once you got the tires and kit on. But again if it still does it with the too wide and too short gates then it is not going away with any belt.

Only choice for you and we do not sell it is the switch to the retrofit secondary from Venom or get a Duraclutch that uses the same secondary

#31 ·
I see, then that explains it, if you are loud with it, you have a loud secondary or shaft spacing issues. Thick belts make that noisy secondary louder so we changed dimensions to make them quiet, if still loud then most times spacing off not allowing the new dimensions to do what they do. When that fails, just a loud secondary and you are stuck running the thinner belts

#40 ·
Hey did you ever figure out what that noise was? Mine is making the same noise at low rpm as well.
Howdy. 2017 XP 1000 LE. Getting a weird harmonic noise at low speeds. Dunno what to think. I'll try posting a video. Happens more in high than in low. Thanks for any input. No change in power at all. Can make it go away by throttling up, but it doesn't seem normal.

Well, now I need to learn how to upload videos

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.