Engine Oil Options - Page 19 - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
RZR XP 1000 Discussions for the all new Polaris RZR XP 1000

View Poll Results: What Oil are you using?
PS-4 5w-50 129 19.28%
PS-4 Extreme 10w-50 121 18.09%
Amsoil 4 0w-40 13 1.94%
Amsoil sxs 5w-50 79 11.81%
Rotella T6 15w-40 120 17.94%
Joe Gibbs Driven XP7 10w-40 2 0.30%
Joe Gibbs Driven XP9 10w-40 0 0%
Maxima Semi Synthetic 4-Stroke 10w-40 32 4.78%
Maxima SXS 5w-50 31 4.63%
Mobil 15w-50 37 5.53%
Mobil European 0w-40 22 3.29%
Mobil T4 10w-40 14 2.09%
Castrol 5w-50 22 3.29%
Schaffers 5w-50 15 2.24%
Lucas Motorcycle 10W-40 1 0.15%
Other 41 6.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 669. You may not vote on this poll

181Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 312 Old September 5th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Vandal

First Name: Richard
My RZR: 2016 RZR 570 EPS Trail
Member #82526
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
View Vandal's Photo Gallery(0)
Re: Engine Oil Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt427 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
I remember as a kid my Dad always bought Briggs and Stratton engines for our lawnmowers. He NEVER changed the oil in any if them. When they got low he added a quart or so and he never had an oil related problem with them. You want to talk about something that runs hot.....get a 50+ year old push mower and that thing generates lots of heat and even with no oil changes still always started and ran. We definitely have too much concern for our water cooled machines, that run way cooler than those old 4 stroke air cooled engines
Modern B&S engines do not have a drain plug, just top off the oil
You better rephrase that because modern B+S two cylinder engines have drain plugs and oil filters......Maybe the single jugs but not all B+S modern engines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 312 Old September 5th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Premium Member

First Name: Denver
My RZR: 2015 S900 Titanium
Member #41951
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
View Denver's Photo Gallery(4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt427 View Post
Modern B&S engines do not have a drain plug, just top off the oil
Older ones might have had one; never used it in years of working on them. Run for a minute to warm up the oil, take off the fill plug, position the drain pan and tip it over on left side while tracking down a new plug, points and condensor. Only used drain plugs on tractors, tillers, Jari, and engine-driven reel-type.

SOLD!!! 2012 RZR 570, with most of the accessories.
Bought!!! 2015 RZR S900 Titanium! Let the fun begin (again)!!
XP1K wheels and tires. XB3 fire extinguisher, in cab. RAM-mounted Samsung Tab GPS. Larsonator DIY dual rate spring kit and Schmidty Racing resi end caps. Garage Products bushings. BugBuster mesh windscreen and rear mesh screen. Outerwears on R2C air filter and clutch intake. 3500# Winch, parking brake. Polaris DVR mirror & Drift Innovation action camera. PRP harnesses. Roof. DIY mud flaps. Tusk front bumper. UHMW A-arm guards. Hunterworks Gates Carbon belt.
post #273 of 312 Old October 12th, 2018, 06:07 AM

Member #261020
View Trojan366's Photo Gallery(0)

I see schaffer 5w50 on the list and rottella 15w40. I have a lot of schaeffer 15w40 from my race truck. Anyone use the 15w40 schaeffer with good result?

2018 RZR 1000 XP4 White Lighting
BMP tuned, 30x10 Crawlers, Z Broz Dual Rates, Z Broz Radius Rods+ A Arms,
Super ATV Roof, Front Bumper, Nerf Bars and Spare Tire Carrier,
Lock & Ride Rear Bumper, UTV Giant Lower Doors and Jump Seat
Rigid Box with ISOTA Mounts, Other Miscellaneous BS ETC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 312 Old October 13th, 2018, 04:44 PM
Vandal

Member #82526
Garage

The list has an error Rotella T-6 is a 5w-40 not a 15w-40
post #275 of 312 Old November 9th, 2018, 08:10 AM

First Name: Tom
My RZR: 2017 xp1000 white lightning
Member #2518
Garage
View roadiestar's Photo Gallery(0)

Click image for larger version

Name:	il_340x270.984593108_a5p1.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	564236

post #276 of 312 Old November 9th, 2018, 06:37 PM
Vandal

Member #82526
Garage

That old Quaker State I wouldn't even put in someone elses machine Talk about a sludging oil......That was it
post #277 of 312 Old December 31st, 2018, 12:37 PM

First Name: Vaska
My RZR: Trailblazer 250
Member #264756
View Vaska's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lee View Post
Hi Jimdawg,
1127 zinc is much higher than a car oil. This would be more inline with a motorcycle oil. It is in the mid range for zinc in motorcycle oil. Some a lower and some are higher.

Read these additive tables in these oils. page 12

http://www.oil-tech.com/amsoil-pdf-f...comparison.pdf
Roger, I see you're with BRP. My 2018 Maverick Trail 1000 has used about a quart of oil in 16 hours (180 miles) of riding since new. I haven't seen or smelled any burning oil in the exhaust and there are no external oil leaks. I have advised the dealer of this situation in case this high oil consumption continues beyond the factory 6-month warranty. The dealer hasn't responded to my email (not that he had to, it was just an FYI), but do you think I need to contact someone at BRP about this before the warranty expires?
post #278 of 312 Old January 1st, 2019, 05:19 AM

Member #137545
Garage
View DogRunner2's Photo Gallery(0)

I would.

2018 XP1K LE
post #279 of 312 Old January 1st, 2019, 07:44 AM

First Name: Roger
My RZR: 2015 1K
Member #69952
View Roger Lee's Photo Gallery(0)

Hi Vaska,
A quart of oil in 180 miles is a lot. I tell all my clients that oil has to go somewhere if it isn't in the tank or sump. So it has to get burned through the system which shows up in the exhaust pipe and sometimes white smoke coming out the exhaust or it has to be a leak somewhere. The exhaust may be oily or just really black loose carbon. (more than normal) If it isn't coming out the exhaust then it has to be a leak that maybe you haven't found yet. Go over the engine and especially the under carriage really well. There has to be evidence somewhere.

And yes I would contact BRP directly and get a case number opened and they will probably tell you to take it to a dealer.
Steverzr800s likes this.
post #280 of 312 Old February 9th, 2019, 11:54 AM

Member #260914
View bertha01's Photo Gallery(0)

Castrol 5w-50
post #281 of 312 Old February 10th, 2019, 03:59 AM
dak

My RZR: 2017 XP Turbo
Member #50509
Garage
View dak's Photo Gallery(0)

Best oil is that in amount necessary to keep your engine wet. Any oil mentioned is just fine. The limiting factor on oil in these machines is dirt. Your oil will get dirty due to your riding environment long before it breaks down and causes a problem.
Change your oil, keep it full, take a ride, have a beer
Hartman likes this.

2017 XP Turbo Cruiser Black
2014 RZR 900XP Black Stealth - Gone
2013 RZR 800S Blue fire - History
post #282 of 312 Old February 10th, 2019, 08:20 AM

Member #264756

Update: BRP advised the dealer that any oil related issues with my engine would NOT be covered because I "used the incorrect oil". I informed the dealer that Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 meets API SM/SN (attached Delvac PDS). The BRP owners manual states I must use their XPS oil or a 4-stroke 5W40 that meets or exceeds API SJ/SL/SM/SN. Within a couple of hours, BRP advised the dealer that I WOULD be covered under warranty. Without doing any research, BRP had assumed that the "diesel" oil I was using was not appropriate for a gasoline engine.

I had an interesting conversation with a rep from Warren Distribution, the big oil blender/distributor in Nebraska that supplies Walmart (Supertech), Meijer, Mag !, and many other customer branded oils. Their quality is well known to be among the highest available. He said that the next generation of diesel oils (beyond CK classification) will NOT be compatible with API rated oils, meaning those new diesel oils will not be recommended for use in gasoline engines. Right now, to my knowledge, all CJ/CK rated diesel oils CAN be used in gasoline engines, as long as the viscosity index is correct. It will be interesting to see what makes the "diesel oils of the future" so different.

Getting back to my MT, it will go into the shop next Wednesday, and it sounds like they'll pull the heads and cylinders to do a thorough examination of valve guides & seals, valves, cylinder walls, piston rings, etc. The last time I had it on the trails (a couple weeks ago) it used 4 oz of oil in just under 4 hours and 65 miles of riding. That was with BRP XPS oil. That's a substantial reduction of 8 oz for a similar ride previously, which had Delvac in the engine. Either way, that's way too much oil, but I haven't seen any smoke from burning oil -- maybe it's because of the catalytic converter? The exhaust often has a strange smell, almost like diesel exhaust, but that doesn't tell us anything.

I'll report back as I receive info from the dealer as to what (if anything) they find in the engine that isn't right.
post #283 of 312 Old March 15th, 2019, 06:47 PM

Member #264756

Dealer discovered that a timing chain tensioner spring was incorrectly installed at the factory, something they told the dealer they've never seen before. I don't understand how that could cause substantial oil consumption, but BRP and the dealer seem convinced. When I have time to put a few hours on it and check the dip stick, then I'll know if it's cured. The dealer did check compression and did a leak down test prior to disassembly and everything was within spec. They said that everything else (valves, cylinders, pistons, rings, etc) looked perfect.

In the mean time, I've learned that the Delvac 1 5W40 ESP diesel oil I plan to use is NOT recommended for use in any gas powered vehicle with a cat converter, mainly because of the high levels of zinc and phosphorus (my manual states to use 5W40 that's SJ/SM/SN rated). Mobil advised me that, unless I'm going to be putting many thousands of miles on my machine, the ZDDP content in the Delvac shouldn't negatively impact the cat. He also told me that cats designed for off-road vehicle use are normally designed to handle lots of contaminants compared to passenger car cats, which have much more controlled engine operation and tougher emission requirements. He may be right, but I've already burned a quart of Delvac in about 30 hours of running time, and to me, that's a bunch of oil in an engine that holds 1.5 quarts.

The other concern I have about diesel oils in my 1000cc gas engine is the higher level of detergents which are designed to clean the large amount of contaminants that are part of the diesel engine combustion process. Some articles report that diesel oils can "excessively wash" the cylinders in a gas engine to the point where the piston rings lose some of their seal against the cylinder wall, reducing compression and horsepower while increasing blow by.

I found this article quite interesting https://www.machinerylubrication.com...il-differences

I have 9 gallons of the ESP I bought on sale last year, but if I don't use any in the MT, I've got a diesel tractor and a bunch of small engines that would likely enjoy that oil. It looks like "gas engine approved" synthetic oils such as Valvoline MST 5W40 and Castrol Edge 5W40 might be better choices. Mobil recommends their Mobil 1 0W40 European Car Formula for my application. I suppose any of those three would be a top notch oil for under $25 for a 5-gallon jug.
post #284 of 312 Old March 16th, 2019, 12:17 AM

First Name: Caleb
Member #207521
View SNWMBL's Photo Gallery(0)

Why wouldn’t you just run oil designed for the CanAm? Trying to save a few bucks seems absurd, we’re not dealing with lawn mowers.

The difference in a Polaris oil change and Amsoil or equivalent is probably less than $10. For most people probably 2 oil changes a year. That’s the cost of a case of piss beer(Coors, Bud) or a couple trips to McDonalds.

I run PS4 Extreme in my XP4 and change it every 50 hrs. No need to overthink the oil. Run oil designed for your machine, change it often and don’t worry. Way too much overthinking.
adam_s05, RzrDan13 and Carhauler38 like this.

2017 RZR XP4 1000

Last edited by SNWMBL; March 16th, 2019 at 12:21 AM.
post #285 of 312 Old March 16th, 2019, 07:35 AM

Member #264756

I simply like to know what I'm putting in my machinery. Can Am provides zero information about their oil. I also enjoy researching and learning -- it's a labor of love I suppose.

Tags
oil change , oil filter , oil type

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode