Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Lost power to wheels in deep water.

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  arzr27 
#1 ·
Hi, I just purchased a 2015 RZR 900S, took it out this weekend and had a ton of fun with it, it was muddy and wet, lots of deep muddy water holes. The RZR was going through everything just fine and got into one that was as deep as the fuel cap and all of a sudden I couldn't go anywhere, wheels weren't turning, EPS light and engine light came on. Winched myself out of it and when I got out a few minutes later the engine light went out and all power was restored except for the EPS, after I shut the RZR off and started it back up, the EPS light was out and EPS worked again. the rest of the day everything seemed perfectly fine.

What do you think could have caused this? I am sure something got wet that shouldn't have but what and where? I want to figure it out so I can water proof or fix it if possible so it doesn't happen again. I have ridden ATV's for a long time but new to the SXS, any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
Was just out with a bunch of guys, one of whom had a 900 EPS of about that age, and we were in similar conditions. We did watch the 900 with some interest, but it was fine. So they at least can do it.

I'm of little help, but I understand there is a drain plug down in the clutch area for draining excess water when this happens. (on the 1000xp anyway). I suppose that said drain exists at all is a acknowledgement that it can happen.

EPS? I got nothin.

Luck,
D

#3 ·
Fuse and relay box under driver's seat...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I may not be understanding correctly, the machine stopped running?
If so, probably an electrical issue. Trace from the fuse box and battery to find the issue.

The machine stayed running and would rev up, but it wouldn't pull itself?
If so, probably splashed a little water on the belt. The 900 can't handle really deep water because the vents aren't a solid tube all the way to the intake on the side of the bed, like a XP1000. Avoid the deep stuff.

#5 ·
Sounds like belt got wet and was slipping. The belt exhaust port is pretty low on the 900S, therefore it is easy to splash water into it especially if you let off the gas in the middle of a water hole. Once water gets in there it seems to throw off some sort of sensor causing all of those dash lights to go on. I have seen this happen on multiple 900S RZRs. Sometimes it even causes it to run rough for a bit. But once it dries up then it goes back to normal.
Make sure your belt cover is sealed well and possibly suggest raising your belt exhaust up higher if you plan to ride in water lots.

#7 ·
A good way to keep the belt dry for water crossings is to pull the cover and remove the rubber seal, clean it well and then apply a light film of marine grease on all sides of the seal and re-install it .... make sure the cover is properly re-seated and also apply a small amount on the red drain plug ... so far I have never had a wet belt and it gets really saturated up here in the PNW

#8 ·
As far as the eps goes, did you have the engine off and power on when it went out? If you turn the power on without cranking the engine it will initially send power to the eps, but it will time out after a minute so it doesn't drain the battery with the engine off. All you have to do is turn the key off then back on to get power steering back. That could've been what happened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.