Primary Clutch won't spin - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
RZR S 900 Discuss the 2015+ Polaris RZR S 900 vehicles here.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By True K30
  • 1 Post By American BadAzz
  • 1 Post By Yellow6000
  • 1 Post By BWXT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old August 23rd, 2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Member #272310
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
View Yellow6000's Photo Gallery(0)
Primary Clutch won't spin

I have purchased a wrecked 2018 900s with 200 miles on it with the hopes of not having to rebuild the motor but feel that it might be in my near future. The machine obviously rolled over but I don't believe it was submerged in water. All electrical appears to be functioning. When I press on the brake and turn the key you can hear the started attempt to turn the motor over. With the black clutch cover removed the primary clutch will lunge forward but no farther than a certain point and I can not turn it by hand with a wrench on the center nut. My question is are there any other things I should consider that could prevent the primary clutch from turning other than a blown or seized motor. I did also remove the spark plugs and drained the oil and they both looked fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old August 23rd, 2019, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

First Name: Michael
My RZR: 2018 Rzr Turbo S
Member #24498
Garage
View True K30's Photo Gallery(0)
Re: Primary Clutch won't spin

Did you attempt to spin the motor over while you had the plug out? There could be water or oil in the cylinder.
RZR_Scott likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old August 23rd, 2019, 02:36 PM

First Name: Brian
My RZR: 2017 XPT4
Member #175225
View bbyers's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow6000 View Post
I have purchased a wrecked 2018 900s with 200 miles on it with the hopes of not having to rebuild the motor but feel that it might be in my near future. The machine obviously rolled over but I don't believe it was submerged in water. All electrical appears to be functioning. When I press on the brake and turn the key you can hear the started attempt to turn the motor over. With the black clutch cover removed the primary clutch will lunge forward but no farther than a certain point and I can not turn it by hand with a wrench on the center nut. My question is are there any other things I should consider that could prevent the primary clutch from turning other than a blown or seized motor. I did also remove the spark plugs and drained the oil and they both looked fine.
remove the spark plugs and try to rotate the primary by hand and see what happens.

-2017 XPT4-Polaris roof, sliders, trailing arm guards, half windshield, front winch bumper & rear mesh screen, Warn 4500 winch, Ride Command w/rear camara, Razorback 3.0, Evo charge tube, intake tube & Bov, Dyno jet JUNK power vison((ITS HAD BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH FOR OVER A YEAR. ZERO HELP FROM DYNOJET!))w/AA stage 3 tune, Empire exhaust w/quite cores, NRP gated shifter, NRP radius rods, 32" curved led light bar, lower door inserts, PRP door bags, R2C filter. AIRDAM CLUTCHES Best purchase so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old August 23rd, 2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Member #272310

Yes I did with no luck I was hoping that somehow it could be a clutch problem but I doubt it.
post #5 of 12 Old August 23rd, 2019, 06:54 PM

My RZR: 900S
Member #84854
Garage
View American BadAzz's Photo Gallery(0)
You didn’t try turning the motor backwards did you?

If you turned it backwards it may have slipped the timing chain leaving you with a valve/piston clearance issue. Or if the chain tensioner failed at some point you could end up in the same situation.

Otherwise I’d venture to say you’ve got a bent rod or two.

We can break it
post #6 of 12 Old August 23rd, 2019, 06:56 PM

Member #84854
Garage
A No turnover condition wouldn’t be a clutch symptom anyway, at least not on these machines anyway the way the clutches are setup/designed.

We can break it
post #7 of 12 Old August 24th, 2019, 05:30 AM

Member #175225

Quote:
Originally Posted by American BadAzz View Post
You didnít try turning the motor backwards did you?

If you turned it backwards it may have slipped the timing chain leaving you with a valve/piston clearance issue. Or if the chain tensioner failed at some point you could end up in the same situation.

Otherwise Iíd venture to say youíve got a bent rod or two.
you cant hurt anything by turning it backwards

-2017 XPT4-Polaris roof, sliders, trailing arm guards, half windshield, front winch bumper & rear mesh screen, Warn 4500 winch, Ride Command w/rear camara, Razorback 3.0, Evo charge tube, intake tube & Bov, Dyno jet JUNK power vison((ITS HAD BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH FOR OVER A YEAR. ZERO HELP FROM DYNOJET!))w/AA stage 3 tune, Empire exhaust w/quite cores, NRP gated shifter, NRP radius rods, 32" curved led light bar, lower door inserts, PRP door bags, R2C filter. AIRDAM CLUTCHES Best purchase so far!
post #8 of 12 Old August 24th, 2019, 05:37 AM
Official Site Vendor

First Name: Todd
My RZR: 2018 XP1000 and Ranger 1000
Member #47437
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
View Hunterworks's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyers View Post
Quote:

Yes you can, it will jump time on occasion

www.hunterworks.com

Todd
Office phone: 601-771-0070
post #9 of 12 Old August 24th, 2019, 06:33 AM

Member #175225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterworks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyers View Post
Quote:

Yes you can, it will jump time on occasion

OK fine, maybe if your timing chain is extremely loose or broke. if your engine is in that condition your going to have more worries than it jumping time..

post #10 of 12 Old August 24th, 2019, 07:04 AM

Member #84854
Garage
The 900 motor uses a hydraulic chain tensioner. If the motor has no oil pressure even a factory new motor can skip time if rotated backwards.

Not sure why you are so defensive, there is plenty of info on the subject all over these forums if you care to search.

In any case if the motor refuses to turn over there is something internal. The clutches will not cause a no spin condition.
RWB713 likes this.

We can break it
post #11 of 12 Old August 24th, 2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Member #272310
Ok I broke the top of the motor down today and voila you were correct it had nothing to do with the clutch it broke a rod on the passengers side of the motor. I will finish tearing down the motor tomorrow and see if all the casings are still ok. Thanks for the reply’s.
RZR_Scott likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old August 24th, 2019, 01:55 PM

My RZR: 2018 XP1000 Black
Member #241858
View BWXT's Photo Gallery(0)

My guess is the original owner rolled it and tried to start it again with oil in the cylinder. Hydro-locked and bam! Seen it happen with Jeeps before. If you roll something over and it is on itís lid or side for more than a few seconds, you HAVE to pull the plugs!
RZR_Scott likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode