Shifting Problem - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
RZR S 900 Discuss the 2015+ Polaris RZR S 900 vehicles here.

5Likes
  • 2 Post By RZR_Joe
  • 1 Post By RZR_Joe
  • 1 Post By jamlam1
  • 1 Post By jamlam1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old July 18th, 2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Member #121713
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
View jamlam1's Photo Gallery(0)
Shifting Problem

Wife just went to use the buggy and could not get it out of park. She hollered at me and this is what I encountered. VERY stiff shifting running or not. I was able to get it in gear to move it to the shop and it did not seem to make any excessive noise.This is a completely new problem that started between parking it a couple weeks ago and going to use it today. Pulled the linkage off of the tranny and the problem is not in the shift cable( shifter and cable moves freely when disconnected from the tranny). Pulled the arm off of the tranny that the cable hooks to and cleaned and lubricated behind it in case it was binding, Did the same to what looks to be the indicator for the transmission. Pulled the plug on the tranny and the fluid looked fine. It takes a great amount of force to change gears( kind of feels like the tranny is full of sawdust for lack of a better explanation) Just read through 20 pages of search results and did not find any help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old July 19th, 2019, 04:05 AM

Member #23438
Garage
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
View RZR_Joe's Photo Gallery(9)
One of two things: If it does when running and not when not running it's the clutch. If if does it when not running the shift dogs in the transmission are damaged. This usually happens from putting the trans in a bind (parking on a hill with no parking brake) and having to force it out of park.
Denver and RWB713 like this.
post #3 of 10 Old July 19th, 2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Member #121713
Re: Shifting Problem

It does this running or not running. If it the dogs you are talking about will that affect all gears or just going in or out of park. Mine is very stiff operating the gearshift through every gear>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old July 19th, 2019, 08:42 AM

Member #23438
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamlam1 View Post
It does this running or not running. If it the dogs you are talking about will that affect all gears or just going in or out of park. Mine is very stiff operating the gearshift through every gear>
There are two shift dogs that are U shaped levers that slide the gears into place when shifting. If you force it out of park it can bend or damage them or the shift assy. It will make it hard to shift in any gear if they are damaged In the picture below I circled the shift dog assy. The schematic is of a XPT trans but the shift assy is basically the same.

Denver likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old July 19th, 2019, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

First Name: Denver
My RZR: 2015 S900 Titanium
Member #41951
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
View Denver's Photo Gallery(4)

+1 for any functional parking brake arrangement. Put in N, engage park brake, then put in P as backup.

SOLD!!! 2012 RZR 570, with most of the accessories.
Bought!!! 2015 RZR S900 Titanium! Let the fun begin (again)!!
XP1K wheels and tires. XB3 fire extinguisher, in cab. RAM-mounted Samsung Tab GPS. Larsonator DIY dual rate spring kit and Schmidty Racing resi end caps. Garage Products bushings. BugBuster mesh windscreen and rear mesh screen. Outerwears on R2C air filter and clutch intake. 3500# Winch, parking brake. Polaris DVR mirror & Drift Innovation action camera. PRP harnesses. Roof. DIY mud flaps. Tusk front bumper. UHMW A-arm guards. Hunterworks Gates Carbon belt.
post #6 of 10 Old July 19th, 2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Member #121713

Thanks for the help.. I don't seem to see the schematic though.
post #7 of 10 Old July 19th, 2019, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

First Name: Denver
My RZR: 2015 S900 Titanium
Member #41951
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
View Denver's Photo Gallery(4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamlam1 View Post
Thanks for the help.. I don't seem to see the schematic though.
If you see anything, double-tap it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SOLD!!! 2012 RZR 570, with most of the accessories.
Bought!!! 2015 RZR S900 Titanium! Let the fun begin (again)!!
XP1K wheels and tires. XB3 fire extinguisher, in cab. RAM-mounted Samsung Tab GPS. Larsonator DIY dual rate spring kit and Schmidty Racing resi end caps. Garage Products bushings. BugBuster mesh windscreen and rear mesh screen. Outerwears on R2C air filter and clutch intake. 3500# Winch, parking brake. Polaris DVR mirror & Drift Innovation action camera. PRP harnesses. Roof. DIY mud flaps. Tusk front bumper. UHMW A-arm guards. Hunterworks Gates Carbon belt.
post #8 of 10 Old July 22nd, 2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Member #121713

Fixed! Fortunately I didn't have to go very deep into the transmission. I pulled this plate that contains the shift lever and indicator mechanism. Once I had it off I found it was still very difficult to move the lever. I pulled it apart and cleaned the 2 areas indicated and that fixed the problem. Now here is the rest of the story. When I went to work on this I saw alot of rust and corrosion. I had recently sprayed( with the sprayer in the bed) and instead of just mixing with water I used salt water in an effort to possibly sterilize the ground to some extend to deter the regrowth of weeds and grass in my drive. I think some of it worked its way into the area shown and corroded it just enough to cause it to bind. I have since gave the rear area of the rzr a thorough rinsing at the car wash and will not be using salt water again( If I do I will not have the sprayer in the bed). thanks for the suggestions.
p.s. that schematic finally appeared where I could see it. Thankfully it was not needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1731.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	636.6 KB
ID:	580612   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1732.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	751.8 KB
ID:	580614  
RZR_Joe likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old July 22nd, 2019, 12:25 PM

Member #23438
Garage

I would have suggested you pull the cover off and check the detent lever but I thought you already by saying "Did the same to what looks to be the indicator for the transmission." Glad it was an easy
post #10 of 10 Old July 22nd, 2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Member #121713

I had pulled the shift lever and the indicator off of the cover and cleaned around the shafts but just from the outside, had not pulled the cover off at that time.
RZR_Joe likes this.

Last edited by jamlam1; July 22nd, 2019 at 12:39 PM. Reason: clarification

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode