RZR S 900 ever left stranded? - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
RZR S 900 Discuss the 2015+ Polaris RZR S 900 vehicles here.

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old May 2nd, 2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Member #269152
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
View RiDR's Photo Gallery(0)
RZR S 900 ever left stranded?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a leftover new 18 base model for me and the wife to putt around with out here in northern Ontario.
We don't plan on any hardcore or highspeed riding, we just want to enjoy the scenic trails out here where we live in bear country, and there are around 300 kms of connecting trails about 5 minutes away from our doorstep.
I can keep up with normal maintenance and there's also a Polaris dealer in town for the big stuff but our biggest fear is a mechanical or electrical breakdown deep in the woods without cell tower signal or outside support... plus we don't want to be eaten by bears, or have to walk back 20 or 30 km's, or at night

After reading a ton of posts, i'm thinking ya, I can carry ignition/key, brake pressure switches, spare regulator etc... am I over thinking this? Anyone ever left stranded on the trail? Do you trust the 900 S to get you back safely?

Last edited by RiDR; May 2nd, 2019 at 11:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old May 3rd, 2019, 06:07 AM

Member #149778
View scrappy35's Photo Gallery(0)
Re: RZR S 900 ever left stranded?

My 2016 900s has been flawless for the 1000 miles I have put on it. The only thing I carry is an extra belt. It is a very capable machine and comes with good tires. I have upgraded the springs for a better ride and more clearance. Not sure if your base model has power steering, but I would highly recommend that.

Sent from my iPad using RZRForums.net
BUCKRZR likes this.
post #3 of 33 Old May 3rd, 2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Member #269152

Thanks that's good to know! I guess most people only post whenever there are problems and you never hear the good reports. EPS would be nice but for the way we're gonna putt around i don't think it will make a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old May 3rd, 2019, 11:53 AM
Premium Member

First Name: Billy
My RZR: 2014 1000xp
Member #162177
View Mr.Jones's Photo Gallery(0)

I previously owned a 2016 900s and my father currently owns a 2015 900s. We have never had any issues outside of brakes/bearings and belts. I believe they are a reliable machine. On a side note my father bought the base model thinking that he wouldn't want power steering. After riding one with power steering he ended up putting the kit on his. Just my two cents.
post #5 of 33 Old May 3rd, 2019, 12:07 PM

Member #268904
View Impact344's Photo Gallery(0)
I have a 2016 eps and it has 3000 miles on and I love it I mean I have had to fix the shocks cause they leaked and but all new bearings and bushing, and I upgraded my driveshaft and carrier bearing and I am going to put the upgraded chain tensioner on it but I have bad ocd with it and my truck I own and I carry alot of tools and spare axles, tire and belt just to be sure but just putting around I think it will be a great investment for ya! Also like you said no body post the good just the bad so it seems worse than what it is idc what you own nothing is perfect
BUCKRZR likes this.
post #6 of 33 Old May 3rd, 2019, 12:18 PM

Member #250882
View Loose Bolts's Photo Gallery(0)

How about a satellite phone? Iíve considered one for my rides in Northern Michigan, could really pay off for someone whoís health has been compromised and cannot walk 10+ miles for help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PuraVidaRZR likes this.
post #7 of 33 Old May 3rd, 2019, 01:40 PM

My RZR: 2018 XP1000 Black
Member #241858
View BWXT's Photo Gallery(0)

I really donít think youíll have reliability issues with a new machine being driven easily. You should however have a spare belt and know how to change it. Itís very easy.

Also, if youíre riding alone you should also take certain precautions. Carry a certain amount of emergency/survival gear, some sort or effective comm device(CB?), and in bear country carry bear spray and/or firearm.

I also think you will appreciate the EPS more at low putting speeds than high speed. I was recently on a rocky slow trail with a buddy who has a 900 S base. At the end of the trail he said the steering wheel was ripped out of his hands several times. I had a loose, one-handed grip on the wheel the whole time and didnít even think about it. If you decide after the fact that youíd like EPS, there are aftermarket kits to add it.
BUCKRZR likes this.
post #8 of 33 Old May 3rd, 2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Member #269152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Bolts View Post
How about a satellite phone? Iíve considered one for my rides in Northern Michigan, could really pay off for someone whoís health has been compromised and cannot walk 10+ miles for help.

Wouldn't know who to call lol. I think it's better if I just get very familiar with this machine.

So far my list of spares to carry:

belt, ignition switch, brake pressure switch, chassis relays, regulator.

List of things to monitor:

bad broken loose wires, ground connections, circuit breakers, loose battery or starter cable connections, Ignition switch, starter solenoid, starter, all wiring in between, corrosion in the fuse box, loose fuses and relays in fuse box that can get rattled out under drivers seat, radiator clogged with mud that will overheat your engine, regulator & stator voltage, brake safety switch underneath driver seat.

List of things to do:

Somehow shield fuse box and main wiring harness exposed under the seat, along with rear passenger down below where the wiring comes out of the electrical fuse panel, dielectric around connectors.

I miss anything?
post #9 of 33 Old May 3rd, 2019, 03:30 PM

First Name: Chet
My RZR: 15 900S White Lightning
Member #69563
Garage
View RZRmk's Photo Gallery(0)

I have over 4k miles on my 2015 rzr900s and it has never left me stranded. The stock DCs I found were not suitable to rocky trails with to many punctures. I upgraded to 14 wheels and tires a couple years ago with better results. I did upgrade my stock bushings and springs as well as had my shocks rebuilt last year and they freshened up the ride to better than new. I swapped my belt as a precaution last year but never had an issue with it. I ride trails with little mud and do not take my rzr mudding at all.

BUCKRZR likes this.
post #10 of 33 Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:02 PM

Member #267822
View Bravo Flyer's Photo Gallery(0)

I would suggest a basic survival kit and a Personal Locator Beacon for the riding conditions you describe.
Dstrick9 likes this.
post #11 of 33 Old May 3rd, 2019, 05:05 PM

First Name: Vince
My RZR: 2016 RZR 900 S
Member #174225
View riderX's Photo Gallery(0)

5600 miles on my 2016 900s.
Other than a flat tire (luckily I was within a couple miles of home when it went flat and just drove it home) I have never had any issues on the trail.

2016 RZR 900S EPS

Last edited by riderX; May 3rd, 2019 at 05:11 PM.
post #12 of 33 Old May 3rd, 2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Member #269152

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy35 View Post
My 2016 900s has been flawless for the 1000 miles I have put on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jones View Post
I previously owned a 2016 900s and my father currently owns a 2015 900s. We have never had any issues outside of brakes/bearings and belts. I believe they are a reliable machine..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impact344 View Post
I have a 2016 eps and it has 3000 miles on and I love it
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWXT View Post
I really donít think youíll have reliability issues with a new machine being driven easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRmk View Post
I have over 4k miles on my 2015 rzr900s and it has never left me stranded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderX View Post
5600 miles on my 900s.
Other than a flat tire (I was within a couple miles of home when it went flat and just drove it home flat) I have never had any issues on the trail.
Wow I typed reliability into google and was second guessing my purchase... Thx all for showing me the flipside from real owners.
post #13 of 33 Old May 3rd, 2019, 06:08 PM

Member #164697
Garage
View Metki's Photo Gallery(0)

Have 2500 really hard miles and I mean hard mud holes to the dash rock crawling hill climbing my wifeís rolled it twice itís tuff as hell have recently upgraded every piece on it to make it a full tilt boogie badass machine and wouldnít trade Lil blue for nothing you can search my thread on here maximum effort to see the potential of the 900s

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net
post #14 of 33 Old May 3rd, 2019, 06:57 PM
What?

Member #104041
View Tate's Photo Gallery(0)

Closest I came to stranded was due to a flat. No fault of the machine there. Bushings and brakes and bearings are all wear items, and if you check your rzr over somewhat regularly, none of those will leave you stranded. Only other issue I had was overheating, but the rad was clogged with mud from the previous days ride and I didn't wash it out. Haven't had that issue since. I think these machines are more reliable than they're given credit for. Forums are terrible if you're trying to get a sense of how good something is.
BWXT likes this.

2015 RZR 900 Trail EPS
30" Blackwater Evos/29.5 Outlaw2, S Conversion, Bikeman Tuner & Clutch Kit, Front/Rear Winches
post #15 of 33 Old May 4th, 2019, 04:47 AM

First Name: Dave
My RZR: 2010 RZR4 Street legal & 2011 XP 900(Arizona)2019 Honda Talon R
Member #19884
View dajo's Photo Gallery(0)

In Arizona we all trust our Polaris machines so much we never go out alone. Have not seen many problems on the trail. Never have had or seen anyone with us have a belt problem. Most of them don't even carry a spare belt or tire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode