Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Front end leak

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  dlitz1911 
#1 · (Edited)
We have a 2014 RZR 900 4 seater that we took to the store today. Ran fine on the way there (about 2 miles from house). On the way back it started running bad. I noticed it was in 4X4 and not 2X4, so stopped, switched to 2X4, ran a little better. Limped home and found fluid in all around the gas pedal. Traced it back to a clear tube under the front hood that looks like is attached to the front assembly (differential) where the axles come together (vent tube?). What could the issue be? What caused it? Maybe running 4X4 on street? Like to get an idea before I take it into the shop.

Thanks,

Dave

#2 ·
That clear tube is the vent tube from the front differential, it should be routed up higher under the hood, it shouldn't overflow unless the diff is extremely overfilled, or the RZR is rolled or ran hard at an extremely steep angle for a long while. Either way, that wouldn't have anything to do with how the engine is running.

Can you be more descriptive when you say "running bad"? was it popping, sputtering, just low on power? Did throttle position or speed/rpm make any difference? any more info would be helpful...

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I would say it seemed low on power, kind of sputtering. I was driving it in high and did go any faster than about 30 mph on the way home. Ran better when I switched it out of 4X4 and ran perfectly to the store. Vent tube is routed to about even with the radiator fluid container and differential has not been overfilled. Have not rolled or run steep hills with it either. It has about 1600 mi on it (only have had this since April and have not had any issues like this with it.

#4 ·
Did the switch to 2wd completely return it to running normal? Does the issue entirely appear and disappear with the 4wd switch? That would be very odd... only possibility I could think of would be something in the front drive causing binding or drag, but I couldn't even think what that would be, the 4wd switch changes very little in the machine, just energizes the magnetic coil in the front diff, and then 4wd only actually engages when the rear wheels slip.... but everything is constantly rotating whether the switch is in 2wd or 4wd...any excessive vibration or noises? Check Engine light?

#6 ·
I forgot to reply to this with the findings from the shop. They said there was water in the gas tank. The cap had a bad seal on it and I had gone through some water up to the doors. Cleaned up the gas and it runs fine now. They could not figure out why the differential may have overflowed. Drained and re-filled. Have had not issues since it has been repaired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.