Vibration satv carrier bearing - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
RZR 4 900 Discuss the 2015+ Polaris RZR 4 900 EPS four-seater RZR here.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old May 30th, 2019, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Member #144321
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
View Buffalobillcody's Photo Gallery(0)
Vibration satv carrier bearing

Carrier bearing went out, and decided to replace it with the new satv pillow block style. U joints we're toast, so opted for satv rhino prop shafts, got it all installed (properly clocked 90 degrees) and had bad vibration above 20 mph. Called satv, and they sent me new shafts. Installed all of that last night, and I still have vibration, doesn't seem as bad, but more than what I consider acceptable.

What are my options? Vibration wasn't there with the stock c.b. could it be something in the front diff and be a coincidence? Everything feels right, and awd works well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old May 30th, 2019, 08:12 AM
craigstumph

My RZR: RZR 1000
Member #59177
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
View craigstumph's Photo Gallery(0)
Re: Vibration satv carrier bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobillcody View Post
Carrier bearing went out, and decided to replace it with the new satv pillow block style. U joints we're toast, so opted for satv rhino prop shafts, got it all installed (properly clocked 90 degrees) and had bad vibration above 20 mph. Called satv, and they sent me new shafts. Installed all of that last night, and I still have vibration, doesn't seem as bad, but more than what I consider acceptable.

What are my options? Vibration wasn't there with the stock c.b. could it be something in the front diff and be a coincidence? Everything feels right, and awd works well.
That is a frustrating situation. At this point I would put the RZR on a lift and carefully bring the car up to speed and see if the vibration can be observed in the shaft.

Call or Text 801 367 1395
www.proutvparts.com
post #3 of 22 Old May 30th, 2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Member #144321
Not a bad idea. Only thing I thought could have happened, was that roll pin was STUCK in there, took alot of beating. maybe that front diff pinion bearing is shot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old June 4th, 2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Member #144321
Pinion bearing was BAD.
post #5 of 22 Old June 5th, 2019, 05:52 AM

First Name: David
My RZR: 2017 XP White Reflex Blue
Member #161625
Garage
View RZRdavid's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Pinion bearing was BAD.
Thanks for sharing what you found.

Pinion bearing in the front diff?

Have you driven it since replacing the bearing?
post #6 of 22 Old June 5th, 2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Member #144321
Parts are on order. But with the dif on the bench, you could feel the flat spots in the bearing. For what it's worth, drill those roll pins out if there stuck.
post #7 of 22 Old June 7th, 2019, 06:18 AM

First Name: David
My RZR: 2017 XP White Reflex Blue
Member #161625
Garage
View RZRdavid's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Parts are on order. But with the dif on the bench, you could feel the flat spots in the bearing. For what it's worth, drill those roll pins out if there stuck.
Roll pin stuck....LOL.

Oh yeah, I beat that thing and used no less than a 55 gallon drum of penetrating oil.

Gee whiz.
post #8 of 22 Old June 7th, 2019, 09:59 AM

First Name: Marc
My RZR: 2018 XP Turbo
Member #266924
View Marco75's Photo Gallery(0)

Air hammer works great on those roll pins, mine came out in about 3 seconds. 5/16 bolt 2 in long fits right back in place on a 18 XPT.
post #9 of 22 Old June 7th, 2019, 10:27 AM

Member #23438
Garage
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
View RZR_Joe's Photo Gallery(9)
Just tidbit of info. Don't drill out the roll pin and don't use a bolt. 5/16 punch and hammer or air hammer and it comes tight out. Use a new roll pin for reassembly. A roll pin keeps the joint tight by allowing the pin to flex. A bolt will wear and come loose allowing slop. This is the reason the factory uses a roll pin and not a bolt.
post #10 of 22 Old June 13th, 2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Member #144321
Well, second set of super atv shafts, and rebuilt front diff and it's still there. Besides the prop shafts/carrier bearing, what else could it be? Wheel bearings feel tight, bushings in the front end are good, nothing seems to be rubbing.
Super atv customer service is hit and miss. I'm to the point I want to just return there parts and order oem.
post #11 of 22 Old June 13th, 2019, 12:55 PM

First Name: Marc
My RZR: 2018 XP Turbo
Member #266924
View Marco75's Photo Gallery(0)
I just put a new carrier bearing in my ‘18 XPT and it has a noise now that wasnt there before. Thought it may have been the bolt and nut that I used in place of the roll pin, so I took the bolt out and put a new roll pin in it. Noise is still there, I’m tired of fooling with it, gonna run it and watch it. No vibration, just a noise in the front driveshaft, think its the carrier bearing transmitting the noise into the shaft. Mine is a pillow block also like the SATV one, one I found on ebay for $100

2018 XP Turbo WE Velocity Blue
post #12 of 22 Old June 13th, 2019, 08:20 PM

Member #85394
View kkirt1's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR_Joe View Post
Just tidbit of info. Don't drill out the roll pin and don't use a bolt. 5/16 punch and hammer or air hammer and it comes tight out. Use a new roll pin for reassembly. A roll pin keeps the joint tight by allowing the pin to flex. A bolt will wear and come loose allowing slop. This is the reason the factory uses a roll pin and not a bolt.
This may be good advice. Removed the front diff for a different reason but noticed the splines had worn. I replaced the pin with a bolt 1k miles ago. Just looked at the cost of a new pinion - ouch $600+, new pin $4.

I know the pin was a bitch to get out but something to consider for longevity.
post #13 of 22 Old June 14th, 2019, 04:13 AM

Member #23438
Garage
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
View RZR_Joe's Photo Gallery(9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkirt1 View Post
Quote:
This may be good advice.
Thanks for the vote of confidence

The SATV carrier bearing is bolts to the frame without isolation. Without some form of rubber isolator it will transmit drivetrain harmonics to the frame. So even small vibrations will be more pronounced.
Marco75 likes this.
post #14 of 22 Old June 15th, 2019, 07:39 AM

My RZR: 2015 Rzr 4 900
Member #149162
View Vinny7's Photo Gallery(0)

I used a layer of rubber gasket material between the frame and bearing block to alleviate the vibration transfer. Haven't tried it out yet, other than down the street to test.
Marco75 likes this.
post #15 of 22 Old June 15th, 2019, 05:56 PM

Member #270366
View StewartWill's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkirt1 View Post
Quote:
This may be good advice. Removed the front diff for a different reason but noticed the splines had worn. I replaced the pin with a bolt 1k miles ago. Just looked at the cost of a new pinion - ouch $600+, new pin $4.

I know the pin was a bitch to get out but something to consider for longevity.
Great advice, thank you! My bike came with the backyard upgrade bolt assembly and the rino drive shaft wasn’t clocked properly. This ended up being the cause for my vibration.

Link:
https://youtu.be/zdN0zB50na0
Had to buy a new prop shaft due to how damaged it was. Now the rear seal is leaking so I’ll have to take it back apart but am going to use the air hammer trick, thanks for the advice!
RZR_Joe likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in