Polaris RZR Forum

rzr xp vs wildcat

This is a discussion on rzr xp vs wildcat within the RZR XP 900 forums, part of the General RZR category; look guys, i live up here in alaska and the riding is totally different than down in the dunes, i started with arctic cat side ...

Go Back   Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net > General RZR > RZR XP 900

RZR XP 900 The Polaris Ranger two-seat RZR XP 900 Forum on RZRForums.net.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My RZR: 2014 rzr 1000
Member #18890
Garage
View carsner2004's Photo Gallery(4)
Re: rzr xp vs wildcat

look guys, i live up here in alaska and the riding is totally different than down in the dunes, i started with arctic cat side by sides and after having broken gears in the motor/transmission 2 times and 3 front diff's completely exploded and multiple broken axles, and worn out bearings and bushings all in LESS THAN 100 MILES we switched to the yamaha rhinos that were much more dependable for the power they had but were not very fun, then we bought polaris rzr s models and loved them, beat the hell out of them with very little trouble, then upgraded to the rzr xp's, which i own two of, one has well over 4000 miles of abuse on it and still runs great only problems to date were a couple minor worn out clutch parts... i did not post this video to start an argument, sure drivers make a difference and there are a lot of other variables, but i just cant believe that arctic cat released a machine to compete with the polaris and failed in the engine/drivetrain compartment, in a drag race i see people talking on the forums how close the wildcat is like within a length or two, i dont have it on video, but that wildcat on the asphalt with no tire spin, everyone in 4wd equal weight riders is more like at least 5 machine length's behind the rzr xp, i am not brand loyal, i actually considered buying a wildcat, but if i buy something else i want a complete package not just good suspension.... this video was just showing us out having fun and i think its kinda funny how many people try to defend one machine or another...
Sponsored Links
RZRForums.net is the premier Polaris RZR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:38 PM

First Name: Trevor
My RZR: 11 S LE , 12 XP LE
Member #5103
View Riddler6.7's Photo Gallery(1)
Can anyone actually compare a Xp with king shocks or cognitos etc to the stock suspension on a wildcat? Or is everyone just assuming that it would take a complete suspension system to even be in the same ball park...
Pro Armor Trailing Arm Guards, PA 5pt Harnesses, Cooter brown top, Skat trak 26x12.5x12 8 paddles, Sand blaster Fronts, Orange 4' Quicklight, UTVinc Orange Switch Plate, OTRATTW custom switches, 30" dual row CREE light bar

2011 S LE Black carbon fiber
Pro Armor Doors, racertech Lift kit, cooter brown top, ssv stereo, Pro armor 5pt harnesses, pro armor door bags, DDM 55W 6k HIDs, warn XT3.0, FUTV rock sliders
Old August 26th, 2012, 11:43 PM

Member #19336
View VegasRZR-S's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by Riddler6.7 View Post
Can anyone actually compare a Xp with king shocks or cognitos etc to the stock suspension on a wildcat? Or is everyone just assuming that it would take a complete suspension system to even be in the same ball park...
Fair question.

IMHO, while the dampers are important, the wheelbase and travel are what give the WC the advantage........tough to change those on an XP.
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:02 AM

First Name: Trevor
My RZR: 11 S LE , 12 XP LE
Member #5103
View Riddler6.7's Photo Gallery(1)

Quote: Originally Posted by VegasRZR-S View Post
Fair question.

IMHO, while the dampers are important, the wheelbase and travel are what give the WC the advantage........tough to change those on an XP.
True enough, but I'm sure that shocks make quite a large difference in the performance on the XP as i have read. Im pretty sure the Wildcat comes with much better valved/sprung shocks then the XP. If i remember correctly they are walker evans shocks too.

I guess their (wildcat owners) argument is that the xp suspension sucks and it would take multiple thousands to get it to the same league as the stock wildcat suspension. While they only need a wcd... about $1300 for the muzzy kit. Right now you can get the PEPutv shock overhall for about that, so its just an interesting thought to me. I just have a feeling that with a good pair of shocks, kings, cognitos, elkas, etc etc, it would be a pretty close comparison given they are already pretty close from what i have seen.

Heck i have even read that people just getting the Racertech spring package say that the bucking is pretty much all gone and the suspension is all around a HUGE improvement.

I was actually set on buying a Wildcat before i got my XP... til i saw one in person and drove one... just not my cup of tea. I do admit the suspension is pretty awesome, but everything else, i like better on the XP.
Pro Armor Trailing Arm Guards, PA 5pt Harnesses, Cooter brown top, Skat trak 26x12.5x12 8 paddles, Sand blaster Fronts, Orange 4' Quicklight, UTVinc Orange Switch Plate, OTRATTW custom switches, 30" dual row CREE light bar

2011 S LE Black carbon fiber
Pro Armor Doors, racertech Lift kit, cooter brown top, ssv stereo, Pro armor 5pt harnesses, pro armor door bags, DDM 55W 6k HIDs, warn XT3.0, FUTV rock sliders
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Member #34309
Garage
View HoleShot's Photo Gallery(3)
Seems like everytime i was in glamis or dumont last year there was a wildcat sitting alone, no paddles, parked. I think that the wildcat might not have the fun factor of an xp.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Nate @ team alba
Eric @ Empire Industries
Old August 27th, 2012, 12:39 AM

Member #19336
View VegasRZR-S's Photo Gallery(0)

Fair question.

True enough, but I'm sure that shocks make quite a large difference in the performance on the XP as i have read. Im pretty sure the Wildcat comes with much better valved/sprung shocks then the XP. If i remember correctly they are walker evans shocks too.

I guess their (wildcat owners) argument is that the xp suspension sucks and it would take multiple thousands to get it to the same league as the stock wildcat suspension. While they only need a wcd... about $1300 for the muzzy kit. Right now you can get the PEPutv shock overhall for about that, so its just an interesting thought to me. I just have a feeling that with a good pair of shocks, kings, cognitos, elkas, etc etc, it would be a pretty close comparison given they are already pretty close from what i have seen.

Heck i have even read that people just getting the Racertech spring package say that the bucking is pretty much all gone and the suspension is all around a HUGE improvement.

I was actually set on buying a Wildcat before i got my XP... til i saw one in person and drove one... just not my cup of tea. I do admit the suspension is pretty awesome, but everything else, i like better on the XP.

You're right......shocks can make a huge difference.

But I think a good analogy would be on how a LOT of people marveled at the difference the 4" wheelbase stretch made when comparing the XP and RZR S.

I also realize some people don't want that length (and width)

Was so pissed off 2 months after I bought my '11 RZR in November of 2010 after the salesman assured me there was no new RZR's coming out.......I tried to console myself on the fact I stole my RZR S LE and they probably wouldn't deal on the XP's for a bit. Short lived since I found a dealer in OK. who was selling red XP's for under MSRP from the start.

I ended up buying 2 additional cars; different makes/styles for a total of 3. Now down to 1 car......a thread for another day perhaps, but I will say I screwed up selling the Hayabusa powered buggy!!!

Your "cup of tea" comment is an excellent point..........everyone has their priorities. I'm just gad there's choices now to hopefully better the breed......otherwise we'd still be stuck building golf carts....errrr...i mean Rhinos.
Old August 27th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

My RZR: 900
Member #28067
Garage
View Col_Sanders's Photo Gallery(2)

For the type of riding I do, I like the XP the best. I manage very well on 95% of the trails I go on and the other 5% of the time I have to back up a couple times to make sharp turns or squeeze between trees and I think the WC would be more of a PITA to get around in.

I raced a Wildcat a few weeks ago and stomped him so bad it was sad. We were both stock and snorkeled. I have dual 2 intakes but thats the only "performance" mod I have. Stock exhaust, stock clutch, and (at the time) stock tires.
Old August 27th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Just kidding!
Premium Member

First Name: steve
My RZR: Faster than yours!
Member #3534
View crazywatson's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote: Originally Posted by crazywatson View Post
I think there was only 1 utv in the 900-1000 class so calling it a win is kind of a joke. They did finish 2nd over all and got beat by a rzr and that is a good finish. But I think there would have been a diffrent outcome if almost everyone didnt get stuck behind the rhino blocking the coarse. As far as many other races went they havent done anything.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OK.
Dont get me wrong I wold like to see the WC give the xp a run for there money. Im just saying up until this point they are still far behind and racing has proven that. Im not against getting a WC for myself but they need to step it up.

Old August 27th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

First Name: Tim
My RZR: 2012 RZR "S" Orange Madness
Member #41233
Garage
View REDNECK007's Photo Gallery(0)

78 hp is what I read.
Old August 27th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

First Name: Alex
My RZR: 2012 RZR 900 XP 4 LE
Member #40787
Garage
View nmyota's Photo Gallery(3)

Quote: Originally Posted by REDNECK007 View Post
78 hp is what I read.
Where did you read that because I couldn't find it on their website anywhere?
Old August 27th, 2012, 07:59 PM

Member #2328
View sjf323's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by nmyota View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by REDNECK007 View Post
78 hp is what I read.
Where did you read that because I couldn't find it on their website anywhere?
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/...070126_952.pdf

57.8 kW = 77.48 hp

Scott
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:12 PM

My RZR: 09 RZR-s k&t turbo
Member #12452
View pawngod's Photo Gallery(4)

i just installed the muzzy wet clutch delete and benchmark ecu on my wildcat and i can verify, the wildcat is now a lion! totally night and day difference, soon as i can find another driver for my turbo rzr-s i will post my race, win or loose, since i own both, i dont feel i am biased, a win is a win
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

First Name: Jeff
My RZR: 2014 RZR XP4 1000
Member #19949
View jsandgren10's Photo Gallery(0)
The reliability alone on the wildcat plays a huge part in why I won't own one. Does anyone know of a good Arctic Cat that doesn't have reliability problems that isn't a m series sled? All of their dirt machines have had a lot of issues.

I would take a 4 seat rzr xp over the wc, would be faster and suspension would be as good if not better than the wc. And seeing all the rzr with 5000+ miles is why I would own another.

Hopefully they get the bugs worked out next year

Old August 27th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Official Site Vendor
Premium Member

First Name: Kenneth
My RZR: XP1000
Member #19990
Garage
View KB Motorsports's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote: Originally Posted by jsandgren10 View Post
The reliability alone on the wildcat plays a huge part in why I won't own one. Does anyone know of a good Arctic Cat that doesn't have reliability problems that isn't a m series sled? All of their dirt machines have had a lot of issues.

I would take a 4 seat rzr xp over the wc, would be faster and suspension would be as good if not better than the wc. And seeing all the rzr with 5000+ miles is why I would own another.

The XP and Wildcat have issues, but they're worth the trouble due to the fun factor.
Monday - Friday 10:00am - 6:00pm ET
270-774-1982 Sales@kbmotorsportsonline.com

Old August 27th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Just kidding!
Premium Member

First Name: steve
My RZR: Faster than yours!
Member #3534
View crazywatson's Photo Gallery(0)
Quote: Originally Posted by KB Motorsports View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by jsandgren10 View Post

The XP and Wildcat have issues, but they're worth the trouble due to the fun factor.
This is true!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net > General RZR > RZR XP 900

Search tags for this page
arctic cat wildcat vs rzr for getting in and out of
rzr 4 vs wildcat 4
rzr 900 or wildcat
rzr 900 vs wildcat

rzr vs wildcat

rzr vs wildcat trail
rzr xp 4 vs wildcat 4 seater
wildcat 4 vs polaris rzr 4
wildcat 4 vs rzr 4
wildcat 4 vs rzr xp 4
wildcat or rzr

wildcat vs rzr

wildcat vs rzr 900
wildcat vs xp
xp 900 vs wildcat
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.