XP Stock shocks are totally acceptable - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
Polaris RZR Forum

XP Stock shocks are totally acceptable

This is a discussion on XP Stock shocks are totally acceptable within the RZR XP 900 forums, part of the General RZR category; I just got back from Glamis and pushed my XP even harder yet again and am now at the point where I will go as ...

Go Back   Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net > General RZR > RZR XP 900

RZR XP 900 2011 to 2014 Polaris RZR XP 900 Forum on RZRForums.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My RZR: None...sold them all.
Member #1984
View Chips's Photo Gallery(0)
XP Stock shocks are totally acceptable

I just got back from Glamis and pushed my XP even harder yet again and am now at the point where I will go as fast as the machine will go through any size woops. the only woops I cant go through full speed are INTO the woops at the base of Olds going up. I am not sure why people think the stock suspension sucks because it doesnt. I had three other XP owners come up to me at Olds on saturday and sunday askign what suspension work I have done to my XP. I have nothing done to it, its 100% stock.

I will without any fear at all go down olds through the woops wide open and not let off. I almost hit 80mph on Sunday night and hit 75mph on Saturday in the day. I was going so fast my "unbreakable" fiber optic whip sheared off at the base and went flying through the air in front of me like a javelin when I slammed the brakes on after coming down the hill. That was pretty funny.

I tried to start way back and go full speed into the woops and bottomed the rear out pretty hard and the hood flew off...I think if I was going faster it would have been better as it would have started skipping over the woops...but thats the only area I just dont have the confidence yet.

Anyway, I am goign to put money into a turbo since the stock shocks are soaking up pretty much anything I through at it. Just wanted to let you people know my experience if you were debating shocks... Obviously if you have the coin get both a turbo and long travel, but if you have to pick get a turbo...

Oh and I raced a wildcat twice and beat him bad, he didn't even make it up Olds. I actually started behind him by about 10 lengths and still beat him by about 5 lengths.

Last edited by Chips; February 20th, 2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
RZRForums.net is the premier Polaris RZR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

First Name: David
My RZR: 2011 RZR XP -- White
Member #26793
View Hat_Trick_az's Photo Gallery(0)
Yeah....I loved how the wildcats couldn't make olds....saw one guy try it a couple times

---
I am here:
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #3

Member #28324
View el kido's Photo Gallery(0)
Re: XP Stock shocks are totally acceptable

I think stock does very well. I had no complaints. Until I switched to my kings I noticed the difference but it really depends on your driving style.
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #4
aka: Bad Influence
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

First Name: BAD INFLUENCE
My RZR: 2012 RZR900XP
Member #12630
Garage
View loboboy's Photo Gallery(3)
Don't think anyone would argue that the stock stuff is good but new shocks are like going from a stock s to an xp.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
2012 White LE XP 900. Benchmark cage, STU Blaster 26's and front Smoothies with Hiper Carbon wheels, rigid lights, Tribal whips, rugged radios, HCR Long Travel, TS Excel V2 seats, DragonFire Harness, UTV Inc gusset kit. More to list later.
Sold 2010 RZR 4 Fireball +10 Long Travel,TS Seats, Rugged Radio, Tribal Whips Whip, Rigid Industries Lighting. Fullerton smoothies and STU Blaster 26's on Beadlocks and clutch to match.
2011 GulfStream Enduramax 3912END Toy hauler.
loboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #5

First Name: German
My RZR: 2012 xp 9 le
Member #29464
Garage
View Germ29's Photo Gallery(0)

Hey Shawn, I agree the stocks are just fine. How did you have your shock set up? I went three weeks ago and was real happy with my settings but then this past weekend I just couldnt figure it out!
Germ29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #6

My RZR: None...sold them all.
Member #1984
View Chips's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by Germ29 View Post
Hey Shawn, I agree the stocks are just fine. How did you have your shock set up? I went three weeks ago and was real happy with my settings but then this past weekend I just couldnt figure it out!
I just turned up the compression all the way stiff and then pinned it through the woops several times and they are getting a bit loose, but in a good way. I really can't believe how good it is. The only time I have trouble is when the woops are big and far apart and the front has too much time to get down...then the back will buck a bit. But when you get moving and the front and rear are working together...you can go as fast as you possibly can and its great. I might try to take some pre-load out and see if it helps...but honestly, all I could think about for the three hour ride home was the last ride I got in on Sunday night at Olds and totally bombing the woops. My buddy and I were just completely jacked with adrenaline after the ride. Its hard to describe going into those deep woops approaching 80mph and then skipping over them. I can't wait to head back. I might go in a few weeks.
Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #7

First Name: Dave
My RZR: 2014 XP 1000
Member #29312
View Superdave450's Photo Gallery(0)

If you haven't already, try dropping a little ride height to. Supposed to make it even better.
Superdave450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:10 PM   #8

My RZR: XP 900 Bug-Out Edition
Member #12504
Garage
View Tiger Rag's Photo Gallery(0)

Tagging this thread. I agree on the stock shocks but haven't touched how it came stock. Still getting ideas one tweaking the the preload and valve before messing with it. Works pretty good for east coast riding for me as is though.
Old February 21st, 2012, 09:39 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

First Name: Don
My RZR: xp 900
Member #27591
Garage
View LaFortune's Photo Gallery(13)

Chips, i dont know who is crazier; you, or your friend that rides with you When i start losing rzr parts i'm letting off it.
LaFortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:21 PM   #10

Member #25476
View jwiebers's Photo Gallery(0)

I've let out some preload from mine, but I also have my compression only 4 clicks from soft, and it didnt improve much over stock. Maybe, I'll try the compression harder, maybe thats the secret?
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:49 PM   #11

First Name: Brad
My RZR: 2014 XP 1000, 2010 RZR S
Member #4799
View Brad777's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by Superdave450 View Post
If you haven't already, try dropping a little ride height to. Supposed to make it even better.
I don't have an issue with the stock shocks either. I dropped mine about one inch and increased the dampening a couple notches. Ride quality is better and little to no bucking. It only took me a year to make a shock adjustment. It makes me wonder how many people are still at the factory stock settings...haven't made any adjustments at all.

2010 RZR S
2014 RZR 1000 Black Pearl

Brad777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:00 PM   #12

My RZR: Voodoo blue xp
Member #32263
View chillenthemost's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by Brad777 View Post
I don't have an issue with the stock shocks either. I dropped mine about one inch and increased the dampening a couple notches. Ride quality is better and little to no bucking. It only took me a year to make a shock adjustment. It makes me wonder how many people are still at the factory stock settings...haven't made any adjustments at all.
Did u turn the clicker to the right or left
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:14 AM   #13

My RZR: 2014 XP 1K4 Black Pearl
Member #30254
Garage
View GD_Maxx's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by chillenthemost View Post
Hey Chillen, if you turn the compression knob to the right (in) you increase the compression by closing a tapered needle which allows less oil to flow through the hole/valve. The other way has the opposite effect. I like many others on here have taken out all/much of the preload, if you jack up the back end and then take out all the preload on the shocks until the spring is loose, then take it back to being tight and then another quarter of a turn on both sides in the back. Then just lower the front about an inch or 1.5" in the same manner. Then, if you take the compression setting to somewhere in the middle like 6 or 7 turns from full out that should be a good starting place to adjust from there. Bucking is reduced, corners betters because its lower, goes over whoops better because you increased the droop (increased the down travel as you fly) so you have more suspension stroke when it cycles back up. hope that helps.
2014 RZP XP1K4 White Lightning converted to Black Pearl, TFBB Play Cage, 30" Totron light bar, 30" Skats on No Limit wheels, 1100 watts of MB Quart, Polk Audio and Sundown Audio goodness, Bluetooth controlled, Note 3 phone mounts in dash.
GD_Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:32 PM   #14

First Name: Brad
My RZR: 2014 XP 1000, 2010 RZR S
Member #4799
View Brad777's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by GD_Maxx View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by chillenthemost View Post

Hey Chillen, if you turn the compression knob to the right (in) you increase the compression by closing a tapered needle which allows less oil to flow through the hole/valve. The other way has the opposite effect. I like many others on here have taken out all/much of the preload, if you jack up the back end and then take out all the preload on the shocks until the spring is loose, then take it back to being tight and then another quarter of a turn on both sides in the back. Then just lower the front about an inch or 1.5" in the same manner. Then, if you take the compression setting to somewhere in the middle like 6 or 7 turns from full out that should be a good starting place to adjust from there. Bucking is reduced, corners betters because its lower, goes over whoops better because you increased the droop (increased the down travel as you fly) so you have more suspension stroke when it cycles back up. hope that helps.
Exactly.

2010 RZR S
2014 RZR 1000 Black Pearl

Brad777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #15

My RZR: Voodoo blue xp
Member #32263
View chillenthemost's Photo Gallery(0)

Where do I measure from in the front to see what my ride height is and what should it be if I lowered it 1.5" lol I for got to measure before I got started

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net > General RZR > RZR XP 900

Search tags for this page

2012 rzr xp 900 shifter adjustment

catvos granada hills
how to adjust stock xp 900 shocks
king shocks rzr900xp
rzr 900 stock shock specs
rzr 900 xp le adjusting stock shocks
rzr 900xp stock shock length

rzr 900xp stock shocks

rzr forum
rzr xp 900 rear shock bolts
rzr xp stock shock length

rzr xp stock shocks

what are the compressed and open lengths of a rzr xp shocks

what shocks on a stock rzr 900
what size is the stock xp 900 shock
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.