Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

plow mount...revisited

29K views 182 replies 32 participants last post by  degss 
#1 ·
Winter here in Alaska soon, still wondering if someone is going to come up with a plow mount for the XP. At first I thought maybe some posters that said it would be "like putting a plow on a Corvette" were right, but after putting some miles on mine, I am convinced it would be fine. Plenty of low end for pushing snow.

#98 ·
Why wouldn't it hold up pushing snow? Is is that fragile? The thing seems to take a good beating on the sand dunes and mud holes. Pushing snow should be one of the easiest things a UTV could do in its life. The problem is the BLADE is not wide enough period. The 900 rzr is the widest UTV there is. We just need someone to come out with a blade that will work that's all.[/QUOTE]

different kind of stress on the frame and mounting points. It should hold up to it just need a lettile better mounting system with some more beef to it if you go bigger. I've pushed alot of snow around with trucks and atvs up here in alaska and it takes a huge toll on a machine and its frame. you have to think take your razer out with a nice warn or emp bumper/brush guard on it and repeatedly run it head on into a rock or muddy hill or tree. Whats that gonna doo... break stuff. thats what is happening when you plow into a pile of snow. Yes it is all soft and fluffy on the ground but when it gets picked up and packed it becomes a mass that has considerable size weight and density.

#99 ·
Why wouldn't it hold up pushing snow? Is is that fragile? The thing seems to take a good beating on the sand dunes and mud holes. Pushing snow should be one of the easiest things a UTV could do in its life. The problem is the BLADE is not wide enough period. The 900 rzr is the widest UTV there is. We just need someone to come out with a blade that will work that's all.
different kind of stress on the frame and mounting points. It should hold up to it just need a lettile better mounting system with some more beef to it if you go bigger. I've pushed alot of snow around with trucks and atvs up here in alaska and it takes a huge toll on a machine and its frame. you have to think take your razer out with a nice warn or emp bumper/brush guard on it and repeatedly run it head on into a rock or muddy hill or tree. Whats that gonna doo... break stuff. thats what is happening when you plow into a pile of snow. Yes it is all soft and fluffy on the ground but when it gets picked up and packed it becomes a mass that has considerable size weight and density.[/QUOTE]

Yes sir I too know all about plowing snow. Been doing it on my acreage for 15 years as well as with a plow mounted on my truck. We can get 5-6 feet/winter. The quadavator plow attaches to the trailer hitch. There is no mount on the frame and I do not run my plows into a hard pile of snow. I know exactly what kind of damage that can do.

My 900 with the 30" Zillas is a bit wider than stock and if I was just pushing snow forward the blade width would be fine. However I angle the blade to roll the snow into the ditch of my fairly long drive way. When angled the blade is not wide enough.

#100 ·
KFI has two set-ups for the RZR 900 XP

They have an ATV Set-up that mounts underneath just behind the front tires and uses the following part numbers: 105000 (ATV Tubes), 105280 (underneath mount)

They have a UTV Set-up that mounts to the front and ties in with there winch mount plate and the frame (this system requires there Winch mount 100765) and uses the following numbers: 105235 (UTV Tubes) and 105410 (front Plow Mount)

I have attached two pictures that I got at Haydays. The Silver machine shows the system mounted and the blue machine shows the ATV System mounted but it has the UTV Plow Mount Mounted (in Silver)

The pictures show the 800 but it is the same for the 900 XP

Attachments

#101 ·
Plowing paths

a 72" blades looses 6.75" on the far out side but increases by 3/8" on the side that the snow is going when at full 25 degree tilt.

a 60" Blade looses 5.5" on the far out side but increases by 1" on the side that the snow is going when at full 25 degree tilt.

When you are at fill tilt you typically adjust how much snow you are attacking by how well it is discarding from the blade. You typically never go more than half a blade width. You are typically not pushing a full 72" unless you are in the straight position or you are making your first pass.

#104 ·
I just bought the moto alliance 72" county style blade, thanks to Peter and Maureen for all their help and shipping was fast 3 or 4 days. Blade and frame and mount are "HEAVY DUTY" went together nice too, about 1 hour or less to put all together. Now for the bad part and not sure about that yet as I have not put the mount on the machine yet, but it looks like it was not really designed for the xp, the front plate on the xp turns slightly upward as it goes forward and the mounting plate is flat, I hope to have more info after this weekend, but looks like to me mods are in order for me to feel safe mounting something that heavy to the xp's underside. more to follow. Peter do you want to chime in?

#105 ·
Great, bone.....we really try to create a Cadillac set up at an affordable price.

The plow worked fine with our old mount plates. Frankly, the reason for the change is that we are taking dead aim at American Eagle plows with our system. Eagle plows sell on the cheap now, but our feedback from a major dealer suggests Eagle mount plates and push tubes bend easily upon impact.

So we have been and are creating heavy-duty mounting systems and tubes that are also compatible with Eagle plows. Our full line-up will be complete by spring and we plan to fully tout the benefits and hopefully win over some Eagle customers as well -- shoot, they can even keep their blade, but if they bend up the rest they can get replacements from us. Overall Eagle can be about $130 cheaper than us for a straight blade, but we think the extra snow moving capacity of our county system and the impact resistant mounting systems and tubes create a huge benefit when moving snow. Is it more expensive to make? Yep.....but we think it's worth it.

Overall, just like winches, plows have to work when needed. No one needs a busted up plow when 20" of snow comes along because they didn't see the bank or something and the sudden impact wrecks everything. Most plow systems are rated for 5 mph. Makes me think "Gimmie a break" -- who actually stays at that speed or under when plowing?!? We try to live in the real world and we know guys beat up their winches, so we try to create winches that can handle it. Same philosophy now with our plows.

Anyway, long answer to the question, but that is our trajectory for the plow business. We hope we can create enough heavy-duty and versatile systems at good price points that there is no reason for someone to buy another plow. :)

Have a great time plowing snow!

Peter
Motoalliance

#107 · (Edited)
Peter,
we mounted your plow and mounting plate and viper elite 3500 winch. The only problem was the mounting hardware ( bolts and spacers would not fit the 900xp. They were way to short. So bought some locally and got it all mounted and winch works perfect, but, when you angle the blade to one side or the other the one side of blade lifts up because the push rods are at to much of an angle ( probably work fine on regular rzr, just like mounting hardware). I will post pictures to show what i mean. The angle is such from the height of the rzr front, angling down, so the swivel part of push rods are not parallel with the ground. Any suggestions or upgrades? The plow and mounts all seem very heavy duty from what ive seen.

Attachments

#108 ·
Hi Polracer.

Give our engineer, Scott, a shout. I can send a PM with his contact information, or even just shoot an email asking for Scott (and describe the situation) to 411@motoalliance.com. I think we had this just a handful of times this year because of the some of the mods and unique needs of each machine. I want to say he sorted it out this week for these situations.

Peter
Moto

#110 ·
Yes, we found out RZR's went from 3/8" standard hardware to metric hardware for the XP 900. Fun, fun....makes us after-market guys stay on our toes. :)

Peter
Motoalliance

#112 ·
I think that's likely correct. I know we actually did the install in our facility for the new XP900 and didn't, at the time, tell the difference at first. Didn't take long to figure out, but I know we sent out a few with 3/8" bolts before making the change to M10.

Peter
Moto

#114 ·
Just heard from our engineer. Sounds like the solution is in the works but something funky is going on with the fitment on some XP 900's. We are going to get one into our shop to figure out what variables may cause this as we haven't had this situation with any other models or machines. Any volunteers want to come in that are close to Rogers, MN?

Peter
Moto

#116 ·
We have an all-points-bulletin out there to get a RZR XP900 in-house. We can also go to a local Polaris dealership that lets us check out and measure their machines. So bottom line....yes, there is a fix in the works. It just moved up to the top of the priority list of about the 20 projects or so we have going.

Peter
Moto

#117 ·
just mounted mine and not really sure the bracket is for the xp, the bottom rolls upwards as you go forward, not sure the idea of bolting to the bottom of the diff is a good idea, moded my bracket and mounting points and feel its much better, will turn mine all the way and see if it raises up also, very good quality plow and bracket, but not sure the mount for the rzr as the sheet says is also good for rzr xp.

#118 ·
I am also having the same problem as Polracer, though not as bad, maybe an inch or 2 but it is definitly there on both sides when fully angled. I must also agree that the XP mount thru the front diff does not seem to be all that great of an idea because of the high amount of stress that is put on this small area. I also believe that MotoAlliance has sent me the wrong bolts to mount the plow frame because mine continue to loosen off the 2 times that i have plowed snow. Hopefully they will remedy these problems.

#119 · (Edited)
I have modified the mount by having 1 1/4 round stock drilled and tapped and welding them in the holes farther back in the bottom plate and two 3/4 ones for the front holes. I also added some material to the back of the mount to get it to bolt to the mounting places that I added. I dont have mine mounted to the differential at all. I will try to post pictures but not sure how to as I have not done before. I believe the setup I have got works great,but you must have. Some welding and fab skills.

#120 ·
just went and checked mine for off level when turned. Mine is about the height of a spray paint can off the ground when turned all the way to the right. It will not even go all the way to the left without hitting the tire, but when as far as it will go it stays level to the left. One note i do have 27" big horns, but not sure why it will turn all the way to the right and not the left. Good quality product now lets see if they fix the problems with mount and level problem.

#121 ·
I'm sending this to our engineer now....he will be in touch about the fix. Shoot, we might just fly him out to visit for a day if that's the fastest way to implement this.

When we fit it all up to the XP900, we assumed the angles would work like the standard RZR. But there is enough difference in the XP900 model that we'll get the modification made.

We'll keep the updates flowing.

Peter
Motoalliance

#123 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.