Polaris RZR Forum

Rear wheel studs breaking.

This is a discussion on Rear wheel studs breaking. within the RZR XP 900 forums, part of the General RZR category; Is any one else experiencing this? My old man and I got our 900's within a week of each other. He is breaking rear wheel ...

Go Back   Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net > General RZR > RZR XP 900

RZR XP 900 2011 to 2014 Polaris RZR XP 900 Forum on RZRForums.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My RZR: 10' S / 11' XP LE
Member #13795
View snick's Photo Gallery(0)
Rear wheel studs breaking.

Is any one else experiencing this? My old man and I got our 900's within a week of each other. He is breaking rear wheel studs off on every ride. He lost two on one side the last ride. They are breaking off clean right at the splines where they are pressed into the hub.

He is running stock rims and tires while I am running OMF beadlock rims and big horns. (I have had no problems.) It is dang odd that his studs keep snapping off the way they do.
Old July 29th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Member #16360
View HIGHOCTANE's Photo Gallery(0)
Re: Rear wheel studs breaking.

Don't recall reading about anyone having that issue, but like with anything else Im sure at least one person has lol.
Has any that he has replaced broken? If they aren't loose then it's possible that the wheels studs on his were over tightened somewhere along the way prior to him getting it, which will stretch and weaken them.
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:05 AM

Member #24039
View bsracing's Photo Gallery(0)
I'm gonna bet on dealer holding down the trigger finger on the impact for too long. At our shop no one is aloud to use an impact to final torque a lug nut. Every lug is has a torque wrench put on it. A 1/2 drive impact you could end up with 50 ft/lbs or 150 depending on how long ya sit there pullin the trigger
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:22 AM

Member #16360

Yep...and the difference between 50 and 150 with a good 1/2 impact and proper air pressure is probably about 1 second. I do the same, buzz them on real quick the put the tq wrench to them. Nothing more frustrating than going to take. Wheel off that someone has installed with an impact and stretched and siezed lugs on..at that point they become your problem as you usually have to break the stud to get the nut off unless you want sit there working it for a while, it's ruined anyway. If you ever see anyone put more that one quick pull of the impact trigger on your lug nuts stop them and ask them to use a tq wrench.

Last edited by HIGHOCTANE; July 29th, 2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Official Site Vendor
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 155 reviews

First Name: Tim
My RZR: XP 4/2 TAGTEAM APEX / UTVINC / COGNITO / STM / HOLZ / GNS / $$$$ EDITION
Member #7690
View swingarm1's Photo Gallery(1)

4600+ miles on Johnny's XP and 4400+ miles on my XP... I've broken 4 ITP Beadlock Wheels due to rocks... Johnny has stock wheels and no problems at all... Neither have had lug nut breakage...
Old July 29th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

First Name: Josh
My RZR: 900 XP LE
Member #25448
Garage
View jarheadhunter's Photo Gallery(9)

Yeah I learned in Moab to always carry a few spare lugs. There was about 10 different RZR's that snapped lugs while I was there. This was back when I had the Rhino so I learned from them to always carry a few spare lugs and lug nuts in the L&R box.

You can live for many causes, but you can only die for one. Pick that one very carefully.
Josh
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:12 AM

First Name: Lee
My RZR: XP900
Member #1509
Garage
View MotoXman's Photo Gallery(0)

Just wondering if this is being caused by a machining problem with that one wheel if the studs your breaking is only on that one wheel? Just wondering if it would change if you moved the wheel to the other side? Just trying to help!
Old July 29th, 2011, 04:30 PM

My RZR: 10' S / 11' XP LE
Member #13795
View snick's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by MotoXman View Post
Just wondering if this is being caused by a machining problem with that one wheel if the studs your breaking is only on that one wheel? Just wondering if it would change if you moved the wheel to the other side? Just trying to help!
They are breaking off at random on both sides in the rear only. He replaces them himself with OE studs from the local popo dealer. He is not using an impact gun just a standard 1/2" ratchet. At 78 years young I don't think he is getting 150ftlbs on them.

I would look it over personally but he lives 200 miles away and a picture is out because he only knows how to use a wind-up disposable camera.

He was wanting to drill out the factory hubs to fit larger studs. Told him he would be better off to get a billet set if he was going to do that.
Old July 29th, 2011, 04:35 PM
King of crash!
Premium Member

First Name: john
My RZR: 2nd gen...red
Member #787
Garage
View johnnycat8's Photo Gallery(0) Send a message via Yahoo to johnnycat8

the small studs sxs use are easy to over tighten.... id bet on that problem... i see people over tighten theirs all the time and dont think so..

running makin trax afco shocks and springs
Old July 30th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Member #16360

I happened to pull my wheels today to check the torque on the Axle nuts(chasing a weird noise..that's another story)..and while I was looking that torque up I noticed the wheel torque..honestly never looked it up because I knew the nuts and the studs are the same as my RZR4..torque on those is 90 ftlbs.
Well low and behold the tq spec for the XP is different..30 ft lbs plus 90*!! I thought that sounded like a little much so I torqued them to 30 ft lbs..set my tq wrench at 85 ft lbs...I got MAYBE 45* before I was at 85 ft lbs...another 45* to go?? Ok....that would be like 120+ ft lbs..Not on my machine.

Disclaimer..I'm not telling anyone not to torque their wheels to the XP listed specs..use your own judgement.
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:47 PM

Member #433
View bmzero's Photo Gallery(0)

I broke three out of four studs on a rear at a race recently. The machine was almost brand new, so I'm assuming they were over torqued at the dealer. I replaced all of the studs and torqued to 50ft lbs. I have had 5 or 6 races since then and haven't had an issue.

I'm going with over torquing as the culprit on mine.
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:09 PM
King of crash!
Premium Member

First Name: john
My RZR: 2nd gen...red
Member #787
Garage
View johnnycat8's Photo Gallery(0) Send a message via Yahoo to johnnycat8

Quote: Originally Posted by bmzero View Post
I broke three out of four studs on a rear at a race recently. The machine was almost brand new, so I'm assuming they were over torqued at the dealer. I replaced all of the studs and torqued to 50ft lbs. I have had 5 or 6 races since then and haven't had an issue.

I'm going with over torquing as the culprit on mine.
I'd never go over 50. The studs are just to small and soft to be tightened like my truck

running makin trax afco shocks and springs
Old July 30th, 2011, 11:30 PM

Member #23166
Garage
View DCowboy01's Photo Gallery(0)

I haven't had any break but had some strip while taking them off

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net > General RZR > RZR XP 900

Search tags for this page
2010 polaris ranger 800 xp lug stud and nut

arctic cat wheel stud size

arctic+cat+wildcat+wheel+studs broke

back rim keeps snapping wheel studs

extended wheel studs
polaris ranger right rear studs breaking off

polaris rzr wheel studs

polaris rzr wheel studs sheared off

replace studs on rzr

replacin rear whee studs on rzr xp

rzr studs breaking

rzr xp wheel studs

studs on rear wheel keeps breaking on motorcycle
what would cause my lugnuts to break off and woller out my rim on my polaris rzr
xp 900 wheel studs
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.