Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

XP Melting- that will not happen to me.

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  curtisndrhsr 
#1 ·
So I read all the post about the melting problem and thought, "Oh that wont happen to me," but it did. And it will happen to you in due time. It burned the back of both my stock seat and my Twisted stich bench.:sad:

I took my XP to the dealer I bought it from and after days and days to wait to hear from Polaris, we got the news. They have decided they are going to replace the cover and put some extra tape on the back!!??@#!! :rm_thumbdown:

Way to go polaris!! That's using your noggin. I almost couldn't believe what I was hearing.

They must just think its not that big of deal, an isolated event, but it is not at all. In my little town there are 4 XPs, all under 1 month old and 2 of them are melted. They are going to have a fire at some point, that won't happen to me, seriously now, and get their asses sued.

Come on Polaris, recall the damn things and fix it right.

I ordered the UTVinc heat shield, and will install it with the new cover for now. Hopefully Polaris does the right thing and fixes the issue for real, not just with thicker plastic or extra tape.

See less See more
#2 ·
I put the UTV inc heat shield on. During the install I noticed some slight melting. At least with the heat shield if the plastic does melt, it will be on to the heat shield, not the cherry red header pipes. Simple $40 fix from UTV Inc.

#7 ·
Or you could do what we up here in the n.w are doing get a 5$ peice of aluminum and 2 bucks worth in bolts and make your own in 15 min..
Aluminum alone won't stop the melting... UTVINC has a heat reflective backing, that thermo backing is expensive to buy...:scared2: :scared2: :scared2:

I had UTVINC install the heat shield on my New XP Build before I put miles on my unit...

#4 ·
New poll, how many people are using fuel controllers, slip on exhaust, headers or other mods. I purchased my machine February 1 and I am bone stock other than paddles and K&N air filter and with 30 hours, no problems. The same goes for my riding buddy. We have broken stuff, but not this issue. I'm not saying it isn't an issue, but for me it's not.

#5 ·
Completely stock, melted in <500 miles. Got the removable panel, passenger seat and bed panel. Polaris supposedly released a "new updated panel" but when we got it back from the dealer it looked exactly the same so we have now cut a piece of 1/32" aluminum and completely sealed the hole from the plastic panel.

#6 ·
im going to use the extra heat shield i have popo gave me a so called new cover its the same thing but i have the old cover so i will take the silver insulation and make a piece to cover the hole thing twice also if you use LOW going slow it runs better and way cooler

#8 ·
my xp had a aluminum heat shield held on with the push rivets behind my engine cover, is this factory because i have done a few ~ 1 hour rides slow and fast with no melting issues that you guys speak of. m ax engine temp was about 205.

#9 ·
When I took my XP to the dealer, he said that there was an updated part and it showed that mine had the updated part. The silver heat shield on the back of the removable panel put on by plastic push rivets is stock, and the way that it looks likely is the update as it looks like an after thought. The melting does not appear to be directly related to engine temp as from what I can tell, my engine temp was normal when it melted. During the worst episode, the fan was not even on, so it would have had to be under 200. My suggestion is to get the UTVinc heat shield before it happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.