Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net

Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net (http://www.rzrforums.net/forums.php)
-   RZR XP 900 (http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-xp-900/)
-   -   Broken Wheel Studs (http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-xp-900/49166-broken-wheel-studs.html)

bmzero April 19th, 2011 02:41 PM

Broken Wheel Studs

I broke three of the four wheels studs on the driver's side rear wheel last weekend during the UTV Rally Raid race (SouthEastSxS.com - UTV Rally Raid Home).

The unit only has about 5 hours on it and has never been in any type of impact to the rear end. I am 100% sure the lugs were tight before the race. I check them as part of my prep process.

All three of the broken studs sheared just outside of the splines that hold them inside of the hubs.

Has anyone else heard of this issue?

Do you know where I could find some hardened, quality replacement studs, other than stock.

thanks,
-brit

DWRAT April 19th, 2011 03:42 PM

Re: Broken Wheel Studs

Sounds like they were to tight.

HIGHOCTANE April 19th, 2011 06:00 PM

First I've heard of wheel studs breaking on a RZR ever...if for sure they were not loose..I'd next look at what DWRAT suggested..over tightened. Close examination should tell the tale if one knows what they are looking for. Loose will show signs of mechanical shearing, over tightening will show signs of stretching. IF it was a failure of the metal that will show as well..no signs of stretch, no signs of shear..in that case I would guess a bad batch of studs that weren't heat treated properly..
Of course the experts would use hardness testing, microscopes ect..

bmzero April 19th, 2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWRAT (Post 615202)

Yeah, that would be my first assumption as well, but seeing that I have only changed the wheels once and always tighten them by hand, I don't think that was the issue. I'm pretty anal about not over tightening. I have heard plenty of stories about that.

I'll post up some pictures of the studs tomorrow. They sheared exactly at the splines, all in the same place. I couldn't find the threaded pieces. It was pitch dark.

I'm leaning toward a bad batch.

HIGHOCTANE April 19th, 2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmzero (Post 615335)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DWRAT (Post 615202)

Yeah, that would be my first assumption as well, but seeing that I have only changed the wheels once and always tighten them by hand, I don't think that was the issue. I'm pretty anal about not over tightening. I have heard plenty of stories about that.

I'll post up some pictures of the studs tomorrow. They sheared exactly at the splines, all in the same place. I couldn't find the threaded pieces. It was pitch dark.

I'm leaning toward a bad batch.

What did you torque them to? The RZR XP has a different wheel TQ spec than the other RZRs

bmzero April 19th, 2011 07:35 PM

I torqued them using my highly sophisticated 3/8 ratchet. I've been racing quads and UTV's for about 20 years now and have never torqued a set of wheels. I don't say that to say I'm right, just that I have never had an issue with it before.

Obviously, if I need to be torquing them to spec, that's what I'll do. I just have never had a reason to do it before, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Does everyone else here torque their wheels to spec?

-b

stoked51 April 19th, 2011 07:40 PM

I torque my douglas wheels at 40lbs now. I made the mistake of torquing it at over that before and broke a stud.

bmzero April 19th, 2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoked51 (Post 615452)
I torque my douglas wheels at 40lbs now. I made the mistake of torquing it at over that before and broke a stud.

I don't think I was up to 40lbs, but I can't say for sure. I can check the other side tomorrow. Hopefully the fix is just that simple.

This torque spec will also obviously change with different wheels/lug nuts, correct? I would think the smaller ITP lug nuts will be different than the larger OEM lug nuts. Thoughts?

stoked51 April 19th, 2011 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmzero (Post 615457)
Quote:

I don't think I was up to 40lbs, but I can't say for sure. I can check the other side tomorrow. Hopefully the fix is just that simple.

This torque spec will also obviously change with different wheels/lug nuts, correct? I would think the smaller ITP lug nuts will be different than the larger OEM lug nuts. Thoughts?

Yes, generally steel wheels require about double the torque compared to aluminum wheels..

bmzero April 19th, 2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoked51 (Post 615469)
Yes, generally steel wheels require about double the torque compared to aluminum wheels..

Ha, "generally" may have been what got me in this trouble to begin with. :scared2:

HIGHOCTANE April 19th, 2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoked51 (Post 615469)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmzero (Post 615457)
Quote:

Actually steel wheels "generally" require much LESS torque..
2010 RZR Tq Specs..
Cast Aluminum Lug Nut Front and Rear- 90 ft. lbs. (122 Nm)
Steel 2-Piece Flange Nut Front and Rear- 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm)

As for the XP900 the spec for the stock wheels/hardware is 30 ft lbs + 1/4 turn..

So I gather you were running ITP wheels and lug nuts? Was the taper correct on the nuts?...the plot thickens..lol...I'm willing to bet you will find that something wasn't right somewhere and that it was not a issue with the machine as it came stock..

bmzero April 19th, 2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE (Post 615501)
So I gather you were running ITP wheels and lug nuts? Was the taper correct on the nuts?...the plot thickens..lol...I'm willing to bet you will find that something wasn't right somewhere and that it was not a issue with the machine as it came stock..

I have no doubt that it wasn't an issue with the stock machine, especially since the ITP wheels are a wider offset than the stockers. I'm sure that added to the stress on the studs as well.

Either way, does anyone here know if there are better (than stock) wheels studs on the market?

GHETTOSLED April 19th, 2011 08:54 PM

I broke a driver side wheel stud already. Ruined a Douglas aluminum wheel too. IMHO the 14mm lug nuts don't have enough surface contact to be properly tightened. I was constantly having problems on my r1 rhino with lugs coming loose etc. Got some 17mm lugs on there, end of problem. Fwiw, FSS is waiting on new larger lugs to come in. Maybe they are available for tapered seat already though??

bmzero April 19th, 2011 09:24 PM

Who/what is FSS?

GHETTOSLED April 19th, 2011 10:52 PM

Fullerton sand sports. Speak to dave.