Polaris RZR Forum

Absolute Strongest Axles For 900xp (Regardless of $$$)

This is a discussion on Absolute Strongest Axles For 900xp (Regardless of $$$) within the RZR XP 900 forums, part of the General RZR category; Looking for the absolute closest thing to bulletproof that one can get, regardless of $$$. I do not want to ever deal with a broken ...

Go Back   Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net > General RZR > RZR XP 900

RZR XP 900 The Polaris Ranger two-seat RZR XP 900 Forum on RZRForums.net.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

First Name: JOHN
My RZR: 2013 RZR XP 900 WALKER EVANS LE
Member #58489
View ABBOTT's Photo Gallery(0)
Absolute Strongest Axles For 900xp (Regardless of $$$)

Looking for the absolute closest thing to bulletproof that one can get, regardless of $$$. I do not want to ever deal with a broken axle.

That said, I don't ride that hard, but I cross rivers, streams, mud holes and can go for 90 miles one way (stopping for gas of course) and I don't want to get stranded (or at least reduce the risk, I know nothing in life is guaranteed).

I am also going to be going to a 5' Lift with 30+ OL Tires, so I need reliability with that kind of angle. Guess I need a clutch kit and some steering stops too??

Let me know what you guys all think.

Gorilla Axels - Forward Offset A-Arms - High Clearance Trailing Arms - High Clearance Radius Bars
30" SB's w/Beadlocked 14's - 3" Lift - 2 Bros Dual Exhaust - Clutch Kit - Juice Box Controller
SSV Sound with Sub - LED's Everywhere - Roof - Doors - Windshields - YETI Cooler Mount
Sponsored Links
RZRForums.net is the premier Polaris RZR Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:00 AM

First Name: Marcus
My RZR: 2013 RZR XP 900
Member #43894
Garage
View DSB's Photo Gallery(0)
Re: Absolute Strongest Axles For 900xp (Regardless of $$$)

Would you rather break an axle or differential? Takes 2 minutes to change an axle on the trail. You have a similar set up to my friends and me. We all run Super ATV Rhino axles. The only time they break is when a boot gets busted and mud gets in there and does it's damage. We abuse the hell of of these XP's and Rhinos have been pretty reliable. One year warranty is nice too. We all carry spares with us also.
SATV 6" LIFT
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:13 AM

First Name: Greg
My RZR: 900 Xp
Member #15161
View GrMeyer's Photo Gallery(0)

300m axles is what your wanting then!
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:25 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

First Name: gary
My RZR: XP turbo
Member #16815
Garage
View turkeyhunter's Photo Gallery(0)

Turner axles.. $$$ but the strongest out there.
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:35 AM
WWW.UTVINC.COM
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

First Name: Johnny
My RZR: 2013 RZR XP 1000
Member #318
View Johnny's Photo Gallery(0)

x2 on Turner

Happy Trails
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

First Name: SuperATV
Member #7943
View Super ATV's Photo Gallery(0)

John if I can be of any assistance with our Rhino Brand Axles please feel free to shoot me over a PM and I will gladly assist you.

SuperATV Official Website
10% Forum Member Discount Up to $400.00.
Just enter RZRFORUM code at checkout! No multiple forum coupon codes accepted.
Follow us on Facebook: SuperATV
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:46 AM

My RZR: 2011 XP
Member #36948
View K-fab's Photo Gallery(0)

I'm in the quest for a good axle setup too and from what I've heard and read a bit, Summer Brother's are making an excellent axle and then you upgrade the CV joints to those off of the RZR 570. - there's a thread on this (that's just sort of starting to get responses). Seems like I'm on the right track with this, thus far.

I already have the Summers Bro's axles - now just need to get the cv joints...
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:50 AM

First Name: Maxx
My RZR: 2011 RZR XP 900
Member #59250
Garage
View Maxx2893's Photo Gallery(0)

The 570 has better joints?
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

First Name: JOHN
My RZR: 2013 RZR XP 900 WALKER EVANS LE
Member #58489
View ABBOTT's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
x2 on Turner
How can I find these if you don't mind? I am a little new at knowing where all the resources are.

I really appreciate the feedback.

Also, what about VooDoo Axles? Are these on the same playing field as Turners??

Thanks again guys!!!

Gorilla Axels - Forward Offset A-Arms - High Clearance Trailing Arms - High Clearance Radius Bars
30" SB's w/Beadlocked 14's - 3" Lift - 2 Bros Dual Exhaust - Clutch Kit - Juice Box Controller
SSV Sound with Sub - LED's Everywhere - Roof - Doors - Windshields - YETI Cooler Mount
Old August 13th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

First Name: Jeff
My RZR: 2014 RZR XP1000
Member #5446
Garage
View RZRsoon's Photo Gallery(0)

Quote: Originally Posted by Maxx2893 View Post
The 570 has better joints?
Yes..I was told, because they have to perform at more extreme angles?
Old August 13th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

My RZR: 2012 XP
Member #29319
View zillacon's Photo Gallery(1)

Just a thought to throw your way. Knines! I havnt broke a stock axle running true 31" tires yet and I dont know of anyone who has.

http://www.rzrforums.net/knine-racin...xle-armor.html
2012 What once was an Original Voodoo Blue XP 900Pro Armor Asylum Cage,Pro Armor Doors,Pro Armor 5 point Harnesses,Yoshi Slip On,Polaris Mirror, windshield, Pro Armor Top and front bumper,Warn Winch,FUTV A arm/Belly Skids and Pro Armor TA Sliders, HA Clutch Kit, Tribal Whip and PRP Seats, 30" Rocktanes, STI Beadlocks, Zbros HC Radius Rods,Backwoods Armor HC 2" Forward A-Arms.
KNINE Axle Armor, Rugged Radio and Intercom.
Old August 13th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

My RZR: 900
Member #28067
Garage
View Col_Sanders's Photo Gallery(2)

Quote: Originally Posted by ABBOTT View Post
Looking for the absolute closest thing to bulletproof that one can get, regardless of $$$. I do not want to ever deal with a broken axle.

That said, I don't ride that hard, but I cross rivers, streams, mud holes and can go for 90 miles one way (stopping for gas of course) and I don't want to get stranded (or at least reduce the risk, I know nothing in life is guaranteed).

I am also going to be going to a 5' Lift with 30+ OL Tires, so I need reliability with that kind of angle. Guess I need a clutch kit and some steering stops too??

Let me know what you guys all think.
You are going to get a dozen different answers on this. Everyone knows someone who broke XXX axle backing off the trailer on its first ride, etc. Also it really seems that certain brands just work better on certain machines.

With that said, I WOULD NOT simply buy an axle shaft. The stock CVs are weak. Add on that 5" lift and put extra angle on it and its even worse. Buy the whole assembly. I only run stocks up front (with steering stops). Mainly because if I break a front axle I can limp around the rest of the weekend. They are also much cheaper and easier to replace than a diff. Rears, well I prefer to have both rear axles functioning at all times. I run Gorillas in the rear. I tried Rhinos and

Turner Evos are said to be the best. They are the most expensive and their turnaround time is slow (from what I hear). Gorillas are great. I have heard mixed reviews on their CS, but I'm close enough to drive to them if I need anything. Also at Mud Nationals they do free repairs.

Cobras are some other axles to look into. Its a guy in Houston who machines car CVs and axles to work for us. His price is reasonable and his CS is said to be very good.
Old August 13th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Member #48377
Garage
View slowrzraz's Photo Gallery(0)

I have to protest something DSB said above. Two minutes to change out an axle in the field? Come on now.

Slowrzraz
S&S rims, 28x10-12 Swamp Lites, Double Down Air Intake, 50 Caliber Racing roof, cage & doors, 20" LED light bar, Factory UTV UHMW skid plate, SuperATV EZ Steer, Simpson 6 point, bench seat, EZTSK LED street legal kit, Desert Molding throttle pedal & Super Seal airbox gasket, Concourse Specialties switch panel, Highlifter front A arms, ZBROZ racing hi clearance rear links and radius rods, Cobra axles, Viper Elite winch, UTV fire ext. mount, Ogio Honcho bed bag
Old August 13th, 2013, 09:41 AM

Member #38983
View NIKAL's Photo Gallery(0)

They have been talking about using the 570 CV's with Summers Bros. axles on another UTV site for awhile. I think several of the desert race UTV's have been using this combo.

LET's TALK AXLES!

Here is the thing with axles and the UTV market. IMO they have not figured this out yet. Bigger is not always better! It seems like when you look at all the replacement axles companies you see Rhino, Gorilla, Cobra, Turner ect... But what I see is bigger & bigger axles which are much heavier, thicker, dont twist and are transferring the load somewhere else. Heavier & Thicker doesn't mean better! Better material, better engineering means better!

There is a balancing act with improving a part or over building a part. We all want our vehicles to be bullet proof, but when you strengthen one part you have now shifted the weak link somewhere else. Trophy Truck & Class 1 builders have been chasing this for years, they kept building bigger to be stronger, but they in turn have added huge amounts of weight, which has not necessarily made the vehicles stronger & worker better. If you look in the past few years you are seeing lighter vehicles built as they are finding a lighter more nimble vehicle is also not as hard on the equipment.

Also when you build a bigger, thicker axle you are taking the twist out of the axle. In theory you would want to take the twist out of the axle, as this is what is snapping the axle. But factually a well engineered axle should be able to twist like a torsion bar. By allowing the axle to torsionaly twist you are absorbing the shock load to the CV's and driveline components.

This is why Summers Brother probably makes the best axles in the UTV industry. They have been around for a long time in motorsports and they understand this. Sway-A-Way, maker of torsion bars, sway bars & axles is a huge believer of torsional axles, and they to have been doing this in the motorsports industry for longer then the the word UTV has been around. How long have these UTV axle builders been around? Are they just taking car parts and adapting them to UTV's? I would like to see Sway-A-Way enter the UTV market. I think they could build an affordable alternative to these bigger axles.

The secret is balancing diameter vs material and manufacturing process to make the best axle possible. Just machining a axle out of steel and making it 50% bigger does not make it better. All it has done is make the axle much heavier, more rigid and that shock load is now transferred to the next weakest link, dif & cv's. I think this is why you hear and see so many dif failures. How many of those with dif failures have bigger axles and big mud bogging tires? I agree the stock XP axles are weak. But its not necessarily the size, as much as its the poor quality material used and the process being used to make those axles.

IMO the ideal axle would be 15-20% larger in diameter, made of 300M material, heat treated to be torsional and gun drilled to reduce the weight, and by doing so would be as close to stock weight if not lighter.

So bottom line IMO right now I would think the best package is going to be the Summers Bros axles with the 570 cv joints. But don't take my word for it, do some homework and call these axles manufactures. Ask about torsional twist.

Last edited by NIKAL; August 13th, 2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old August 13th, 2013, 09:54 AM

First Name: Maxx
My RZR: 2011 RZR XP 900
Member #59250
Garage
View Maxx2893's Photo Gallery(0)

I can definitely attest to the Trophy Truck analogy. As soon as we "bullet proof" something, we find the next thing that needs upgraded.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net > General RZR > RZR XP 900

Search tags for this page
best axels for a rzr 900

best axles for rzr 900

can stock polaris ranger handle off road

cobra vs turner axles

cv shaft for 2013 polaris ranger 900xp

polaris rzr 900 axle american
polaris rzr 900 heavy duty cv axles
preparing for sand greas all up? rzr forum

reviews on sixty powersports axels

rzr desert racer axle
rzr motor master cvs

strongest utv axles

summer bros for razor xp 900

toughest rzr axles

what are the toughest axles for a polaris ranger

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.