Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

My xp1k vs stock turbo 1/4 mile

30K views 75 replies 18 participants last post by  ttteall 
#1 · (Edited)
So to set up the story, I ride with 2 coworkers frequently, one of which purchased my xp9 a couple years ago the other is not significant with his can am 800 commander, My friend / Coworker sold our beloved xp9 without taking too much of a loss and found a 16 xpt on craiglist, no recalls done has polaris interactive display, aluminum polaris doors with matching spectra orange graphics and a rear bull color match rear bumper, rear windshield 650 miles for 19k, my advise was buy!!!! (new units locally 16's going 21k).He agreed!!. So long story short he is looking forward to being top dog for a change on our rides, rather cocky abt it lol, My Q is, how bad should I expect to get beat with a stock turbo?.. I'm running a tuned ecu, alba exaust/fuel contoller and a dalton clutch that is dialed in?.. he takes delivery next week and I promise to post the aftermath of our race lol

#7 ·
It should be a good race with you being a tuned 1000 vs a stock turbo. Let us know results!

G
#9 ·
His stock will only do 76, so it will look like you are catching him on top, but in reality his ECM has already pulled power away and he already wiped your ass. Just giving you the real answer to your question, sorry

#11 ·
Im afraid of that senario lol, That turbo torque hard to beat, Im curious how much quicker it really is? If you look at wheel hp numbers instead of the crank with my mods it should be fairly close?(XP1 96WHP XPT 103WHP) The torque of the turbo I guess is the biggest difference. i Based the wheel numbers from Alba post a while back, stock xp1k 86whp +10ish for stage 1.5

#10 · (Edited)
Rev limiter is 9200 and no top speed limiter, I tried an early Super atv Rev 1 ecu tune, they flashed it with the 2014 program to eliminate the Cat for my new exhaust, their program looks similar to the rest other than the radiator fan temp they couldn't change, I run a bypass fan switch so not a big deal.
We are buddies and I am excited for him, everytime I bump into him at work he makes the turbo blow off valve sound, it's quite comical.

#15 ·
My rig is getting to the mileage where I will be selling next year anyways, Im not sure which direction I will go, probably turbo. The best performance gains i noticed was getting past the limiters in the stock ecu, especially low gear, when crawling in the mud and needing power the limiter really came at the wrong times.

#14 ·
Good advise on the tires, unfortunately it will be a gravel race, he is wise to my top end so he refuses to go beyond 1/4 mi lol, Im not getting 91 mph either, mid 80's with a tail wind, low 80s on dirt, clutch is strongest low and mid, it darn near pulls the front tires off the ground on launch but I carry a lot of weight in back. I will be riding with my cousin Saturday who has a 15 xp1k bone stock so I will race him to gauge, Ive seen a few guys in the past spend bigger money than I on upgrades and go slower.

#22 ·
Not sure why but some RZRs 4WD stays engaged under hard acceleration when the rear tires have spun. Mine does it from time to time as some of the people I ride with. When you are splitting hairs on a race you probably won't win in a short distance I would leave nothing to chance.

#25 ·
Yup I think the turbo will smoke the 1k. But it seems like all the 1k guys are saying should be close and all the turbo guys are saying not a chance lol. I know my turbo and my 900 would not even be in the same area code in a race lol

#26 ·
I think my XP1K would take an XPT.... [emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I race in the United Kingdom in the British short course championships and the turbo class runs separate to the 1000 class. We have some racers that have both a 1000 and a turbo and race in both classes. Over the last year we have found that 9 times out of 10 the 1000 will set a faster lap time around a short course track than a turbo. Even the racers that race in both classes usually set faster lap times in the 1000 class. We also have an endurance championship which is a 2 hour race where 900s , turbos and 1000s race together. Top 3 are all 1000s .

#30 ·
I believe in an apples to apples comparison and enough distance that the turbo will prevail. However, while in Moab last month, I was usually the trail leader. Mine is a stock 2016 XP1K 2 seater, with 30/10/14 Roctanes and various other gear. One of our riders had a 2016 XP1K4 turbo. 31/10.5/15 all terrains and various other gear that probably equaled mine. He had 4 passengers, I had two. Knowing his personality, I was keeping an eye on him and had already slipped into High range when we were nearing the end of Hells Revenge. Sure enough when we hit the road and turned back towards Lions Back he made a move and we both punched them. He was just behind and on the right side of the road. In the 250-300 yds to the corner at the base of Lions Back he did not gain an inch, in fact gave up early on the race. With two passengers he MIGHT have prevailed in that distance. I have never rode in a turbo but have a lot of experience with turbo diesel engines and they are pretty much dogs until that turbo spools up. That is why I didn't spend the extra money on the turbo version because I just do rock trails, mostly slow technical work that a turbo would be wasted on. Fast riding, moving a lot of weight continuously, you bet, give me a turbo. Otherwise that money can be spent elsewhere. Not trying to pi$$ anyone off, just the facts mam.

#33 · (Edited)
My Xp 900 with mods wasn't in the same area code as my 1000 stock, that's why I'm not quite willing to give up the crown lol (our group)....
Well we went out this weekend and I blew a rear wheel bearing before I was able to race my cousins stock xp1k, I limped back 50 miles at 15mph , I tore it apart Sunday and fortunately only need a bearing and cv boot, Turbo Dave should be taking delivery later this week of his stock spectra turbo, he made the comment if our race is close he will be going the Evo tune route which I recommend for the cooler fan temps anyway, then of course I will bow to the new king lol.. Fun thread, beyond the couple of YouTube videos there really isn't much on tuned xp1ks against the mighty stock turbos.. To be continued.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.