Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

XP 1000 steering wheel removal

50K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  Chris Blasic 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed an aftermarket steering wheel on an xp 1000?
Any instructions on how to remove the factory steering wheel?
Any special tools needed?

Any available pictures of the install would be great!

#6 ·
Depending on whether yours was a Monday...or Friday build at Polaris....will determine how much force will be required to remove the steering wheel. My first rzr...easy to remove, I loosened the nut and gave the steering wheel a firm tug to remove. The next rzr......straps, puller, blunt force and more than a fair share of expletives got it removed.

#9 ·
Use a small flat screwdriver to remove the cap and under then just remove the nut. I think you will need a 15/16" socket. I kept the nut on there loosely and hit it with a hammer and it popped off but I didnt have power steering. You will have to get a puller if you cannot get it off by pulling on it by hand.

#11 ·
A trick I use is grasp the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock. While steadily pulling firmly, Rock it back and forth several times. Then grab at 12 and 6 o'clock, rock back and forth several times again pulling firmly. Then back to 9 and 3 etc. Usually it will come off after a few repetitions.

#12 ·
I cut a 3/16" flat piece of steel about 1.5" long, drilled 2 holes that lined up with those in the steering wheel and drilled one in the middle and tapped with a #7. Bolted it to the wheel, the wheel easily came off when I tightened the bolt in the middle. Simple, didn't have to undo or chance damaging the power steering...took about 10 minutes to make. :)

#16 ·
I know I'm late to the party but I just wanted to reiterate, DO NOT USE AN IMPACT gun to tighten or loosen the nut.

I installed a removable steering wheel on my new Jagged X and all I did was use an impact gun to loosen the nut and one to put it back on.

Apparently, the torque sensor gets screwed up with any kind of torque from an impact gun.

Had to replace the whole damn steering rack.

Mark

#20 ·
I know ti sis a super old thread. I did buy the UTV Inc puller shown. Problem is I cannot even get the nut off. Have three hands holding steering wheel, a half inch drive with a pipe on the end of it, and we manage maybe 3/8 of a turn and then no more. Used liquid wrench. I don't know torque specs, but I'm pretty sure 740 lbs is a little too much. Any ideas?

#21 ·
Might try heat on the nut. It will ruin your old wheel but if your replacing it already, why not. I had to cut my old wheel off. the nut came off fine but the wheel was frozen onto the shaft. Had to cut out all the plastic foam crap and cut a chunk out of the sleeve to get it off. Insane but worth it. Stock wheel sucks so bad.

#22 ·
Take the whole assembly off. Its very easy. Put it in a vise and get after it with an impact.
Take the bolt out from the u joint at the point where it attaches to the power steering unit then take out the 4 - 10MM bolts where it mounts to the chassis. Takes less than 5 min to do . safest way to NOT damage your PS unit.

#24 ·
Had to cut mine off, what a PIA.

Steering wheel puller broke,....

went to HD and got 4 eyebolts, mounted to a regular steering wheel puller, finally came right off.

I would not bang it with a hammer, instructions say do NOT do this as damage will occur, and may not be covered under warranty.

Installed an NRG wheel and quick release.

Great products

Attachments

#26 ·
So, here's some updated info that might be of some help to someone! Having just went through this I figured I can share some info.

THERE IS NO NEED TO REMOVE THE STEERING COLUMN. Yes, the service manual will say to remove that assembly and hit the back of the wheel with a hammer...and yes this will most likely work but there is a much easier way.

The easier way is to use a steering wheel puller.

You can buy a puller from UTV Inc, Holt Racing Products, Bad Ass Unlimited or Harbor Freight. You can even make one if you are handy enough.

That said, I used a Harbor Freight one as this way I can use the puller maybe someday on another vehicle whereas the other pullers mentioned all are XP 1000 specific. The only issue with the Harbor Freight one is that it doesn't come with the 2- 3" long minimum 10x32 hardened bolts you'll need. The 2 threaded holes on each side of the main shaft are a 10x32. Do not use bolts that are cheap "zinc plated" ones as they are too weak and will bend under the pressure of the puller. Get some sort of "normal/hardened" bolt. Put some anti-sieze on the bolts before you put thread them in the holes wouldn't hurt I suppose. you'll also need a "thick" washer (so as to not bend under the load of the puller) as the Harbor Freight's design has a channel that a normal 10x32 bolt's head won't be fat enough to not fall through (hence the fat washer). You might have to grind 1 side of that washer flat to make clearance so it doesn't hit the center puller bolt. It'll all make complete sense if you are holding the puller in your hand and look at it in front of the steering wheel assembly...kind of common sense at that point!

VERY EASY to do and doesn't take a lot of skill and saves time on disassembling the steering wheel assembly and having to put it all back together.

#27 ·
Re: XP 1000 steering wheel removal !HELP!

I purchased the steering wheel puller. My issue is with the two small bolt holes next to the large steering bolt. they were filled with mud and rusted. I cleaned them out the best I could. One of the holes threads is in better shape than the other. The other hole when I tried to screw the puller bolt into it it stripped out. SHIT. Now the steering wheel puller won't work no symmetric pulling force.

I've flooded the bolt shaft with rust buster and I'm gonna let it set all night. Not sure what my next steps could be. Maybe take the steering wheel assembly off and take it to my Polaris dealer and let him hydraulic press it out. Boy I'm hoping somebody out there has a solution. I was really hoping to get my new Momo steering wheel with my new Gen 3 NRG Quick release installed or do they have to go back for credit.

#30 ·
American Rock Rods thanks. I ended cutting the foam away from steering wheel. Then I used a jaw puller from AutoZone and that did not work either.

So I ended up cutting the metal mount with a Sawzall and spreading it with a chisel. It came right off then.

I'm not sure if that the UTVINC steering wheel puller would have work. I pulled many things from bearings and mounts that was the hardest one I've ever done.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.