Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Lifting RZR to make it Narrower...

10K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  NotLost 
#1 ·
So long story short, a few landowners in my area have decided to enforce a 60" limit on machine width. I have a 16 900S, which is a 60" machine in perfect conditions. But depending on passenger, spring sag, and payload it can measure just over 60". So between tight gates and the wardens tape measure, I want to make sure I'm just under 60". I'm thinking the best options are either to tighten up on the springs, or install a lift kit.
I'm looking for recommendations on how much to lift, or should I just crank up the springs? Or if anyone can think of anything else I can try to keep it under 60".

#2 ·
A bracket lift is probably the most sure fire way to get you to the desired width, BUT you are going to give up some ride quality, the same goes for cranking up the springs. IF you go with the bracket lift you should have no issues getting to 60" and then IF you area really loaded down you will still have some adjustment in your springs if need be.

Ive heard of guys running a different offset wheel but I am not sure they would clear your tie rod ends etc.

#5 ·
I'm not really sure, I've been hearing about gates getting put in. The problem with that is if they do a 60" gate, a 60" machine isn't going to fit without scraping. That's why I want to get between 59-60. If I need to be narrower than that I might as well get an XC and make it a little wider.

#7 ·
Its not necessarily the bracket lift thats going to determine the width, but more importantly the sag you are going to get depending on the weight. They make adjustable bracket lifts, its just a bracket lift with different holes. You can also do this yourself by using a drill press. Stack the brackets on top of each other bolt them together and drill your new holes. Flip them over and you will have even spacing and a template to drill the match to the other side.

I wish I was more savvy on the 900 and the 1000 models to help you out. I think if the park rangers want to be anal they are going to get you no matter what, the purpose of gates is most likely to restrict SXS travel on the trails, in retrospect an ATV isnt going to follow the same path and a few inches isnt going to make much difference, it is most likely the tight spots where careless riders are mowing down trees trying to make the corners.

#8 ·
This may not solve the problem for the whole ride, but will handle the 60" limit at gates.
Use a ratchet strap across the bottom of the arms to 'pull 'er in'

My uncle does this to get his sand-rail into a box trailer. Works fine... just don't drive that way.

Carry the 'specs' of your vehicle with you... It it says it's 60" then it's a 60 incher.....

#11 ·
If the gates end up being 60" on the button, I'll probably get some xp1k wheels and figure out how much spacer is needed, if any, to land right at 60".

You'd like to think that they are smart enough to know that machines are advertised from the manufacturer as a certain width, but measure 1-2" over, and calibrate the wardens to realize that

#13 ·
Just have the passenger get out and walk thru the gate while you drive thru?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Dang. Sorry, only trying to compare what works for us to suggest what might work for you. I see you don't have any National Forests you can ride, or BLM lands. I do see what seems to be a fairly large network of trails on the State Forest website; personally I'd ride them rather than deal with private landowners. But to each their own; I hope you find a solution that works! Please keep us posted? Everyone's personal experience can help others.

ATV Trails on Maine State Parks and Public Lands

#26 ·
We are actually very fortunate, there is tons of trails and land to ride. Lots of great clubs. It's just 2 very large landowners at this point so hopefully they will be convinced to go to a 65" limit, it's really going to hurt families with 4 seaters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.