Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Cheapest power steering option.

54K views 106 replies 35 participants last post by  Bonz6996 
#1 ·
I have used this forum for much valuable information, and thought that it was time to give back. I have a '15 900s white lightening. I would have bought a power steering 900, but money was tight. Well I got the idea to try to install used factory power steering. Guess what, it works. All you need is the power unit (around $200 on eBay) and the upper, and lower steering shafts ( another $50-$75). There are three wires from the diagnostic plug that have to be spliced. ( yello, orange, and blue). They go to the power unit, and the other connector is power, and ground. That's it. Polaris won't sell the patch harness, so I go the connectors, and enough wire to splice from a harness that was bad. So with a little bit of leg work, you can have Factory power steering for less than $300.

#5 ·
The unit I got has part #2411826 I'm not sure if the other units will work. That seems to be the newer number, but I'm not sure. Just make sure you get the bracket to hold it, and the correct upper, and lower shafts. They are slightly different lengths.

#7 ·
I'll try to get pics today, but it looks OEM. Because it is! The only part you need to know is the 3 wires from the diagnostic plug are yellow, orange, and green. They will match the three from the salvage plug. You might be able to wire it up without the plug, but the pins a very fine. Besides you would have to hardware it.

Also if anyone is interested I'll have the correct lower shaft available. I bought a few different versions assuming they were the same. I paid $25 plus shipping.

#13 ·
Nice right up.

Do you know if this will work on a 2012?

Thanks
RICH

#14 ·
Thanks criv911, I almost bought a corolla eps until I saw this. It would've been cheaper but your right I would've been fabricating. I noticed all of Polaris eps are the same unit. My 2015 900s is already wired for it. Bought the unit with bracket and cover for 199 and the upper and lower shafts for 70. Bolted right up and plugged right in. Awesome. eBay has all the parts. Thats especially not having to fabricate one thing. Thanks again

#17 ·
I see a lot of power steering units off XP1000's available.

Is that what you using?

#19 ·
Does anyone have details on the wiring for this?

The used units are in the price ranges mentioned, but I'm concerned about the wiring setup. There's definitely a harness needed to plug into the unit. I'd hate to spend $300 and then find I need a separate controller box, harness or other pricey part yet mentioned.

Would appreciate input from anyone that has detailed knowledge here. Thanks!

#23 · (Edited)
I got everything installed and working. I bought the motor with bracket and lower shaft on eBay. I couldn't find the upper for a good price so I contacted the eBay seller and he sent me one in the same box for a good price. I came just under $300. The only other parts you will need is a relay and fuse block and some wire.
The install is pretty strait forward. Remove the old steering shaft parts. Install lower shaft then motor followed by the upper section with the steering wheel.
The tough part is the wiring. I went to my dealer and told them what I was doing and got them to print me up a wiring schematic for an EPS model. I found that all the wires that I needed to splice into are on the speedo plug. To be more exact pins 1,2, and 3. When you pull the plug and open the back the pins are numbered. The colors are 1- yellow, 2-green, 3- orange.
I did not have a plug for the motor. On the power and ground I used blade connectors. The control uses an 8 pin plug and the pins are very small. Like I said I didn't use a plug. Instead I took some 16g wire, used a very small screwdriver to create a channel in the end of the wire and simply pushed it over the pin. After I got my three wires in I fold them over and zip tied them to the connector so they wouldn't pull out and filled it with silicone.
You use only three pins on the 8 pin connector. When installed and looking at the connector you are going to use the top right and the one next to it and the lower right. The factory plug colors are yellow, blue and orange but since the wires we are spicing into are yellow, green and orange I will explain using those colors. To top right pin is green. The one the left of that is orange. The lower right is yellow. I prewired my motor before install and spliced into the speedo wires after install.
The power wires are much easier. I used an autozone relay instead of trying to wire into the fuse box. The relay was $8. The Polaris relay is $18. (Tip: pull the relay apart and apply some silicone to the base and put it back together. This will help keep the water out which destroys relays) The fuse box shows that the eps fuse is 20 max. I had a 15 to put in my in line fuse block and it works fine. I used the acc terminal on the firewall to activate the relay. And I ran a dedicated line from the battery to my relay for power.
After figuring out the wiring the actual install wasn't bad. Definitely worth it. I hope this is helpful and if anyone has any questions ask here or pm me. I thinking about putting a YouTube video together on it bc I can't find anything covering this.

#27 ·
#28 ·
I believe I looked at that one too. Then I called superatv and asked some questions about it and how much the brackets and shafts would be from them bc that kit is for the old body style of the 800, 900xp and 570 era. Two issues came up. One is that the motor is ~240 watts where as the one for the 900, 1000 and turbo is 400 watts. And two by the time you get that and the parts from superatv you almost at the price of the right kit but with half the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.