Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Fine dust in clutch!

13K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  xcntrk 
#1 ·
I performed a 50hr maintenance today and while I had the rig tore apart I pulled the clutch cover. At first appearance everything looked good belt/wear wise, but then I noticed this fine powder dust caked onto the clutch and inside housing. I blew it all out with compressed air but it ended up being a tremendous amount of dust. This really surprises me as I'm an Eastern rider and don't really ride in duty conditions (mostly rocks, mud, thick soil). Anyway, what you all with the ventilated clutches doing to address intake dust?

Thanks!

#10 ·
The majority of what you saw is from your belt. Was it a black dust? There will be a light brown dust that would be from your intake .
It was definitely fine dust from dirt. Filled up my garage like a dust bowl when I blew it out.

I like that Wolf Snout intake filter but it doesn't look like it would fit the S models. Any other pre-filters designed to address this issue?

#3 ·
yes i too have noticed the dust inside the drive belt chamber
i now make this a routine excise after a prolonged ride to remove drive belt cover and drive belt and blow out all the dust with compressed air
what i have done is recently bought a wolf snout behind air intake pre filter that they offer
after watching the short video demo it was shocking how much dust this filter traps and then just to remove prefilter and rinse with clean water
i have not used it yet but i can,t wait

#6 ·
yes i too have noticed the dust inside the drive belt chamber
i now make this a routine excise after a prolonged ride to remove drive belt cover and drive belt and blow out all the dust with compressed air
what i have done is recently bought a wolf snout behind air intake pre filter that they offer
after watching the short video demo it was shocking how much dust this filter traps and then just to remove prefilter and rinse with clean water
i have not used it yet but i can,t wait
You put the wolf snout where?
its a new style filter washable pre filter that is!
it is installed on the 1000 air intake underneath behind the rhino skins
wanna know more?
check wolf snout web site out for more intel

#12 ·
I am not knocking the wolfsnout filter they may have it figured out, my statement is about filters period

Years ago we thought this was a good idea on rhino's, the result was the filter stopped up fast and then heat became an issue and started eating belts also even when the filter was clean it slowed air down.

I am not saying you should not do it, but think on it or try it and keep a close watch on it.

#17 ·
I did find this recent pre-filter kit available for the S models:
http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-s-900/309953-relo-prefilter-kit-900s-1000s.html

Good description that the factory location of the ventilation inlet is the source of the problem sucking dust off the rear wheels. Mixed reviews of this product though with at least one case of negative feedback. I think I need an intake stack of some kind instead of a pre-filter. Simply move the location of the air inlet out of the wheel dust. :confused:

#20 ·
It will take more than the filter to keep dust out of the clutch's. On my 2017 1000S I added K & N filters by cutting into the panel behind the driver but had to seal the compartment first so that all cooling air was traveling through the filter. I also added foam filter material to the outside air intake high on the fender behind driver.
The biggest challenge is sealing the compartment. A filter won't work if there are leaks because air will follow the path of least resistance. There are gaps everywhere letting dirty air flow from under the rear; the back panel (behind driver/passenger) is designed to let air through at the bottom from inside the cab. There are "stand off" lips pressed into the cover to allow about a 1/4" gap. This is probably the cleanest unfiltered air. Blowing out the clutches helps but there is still belt residue and fine dirt that can only be removed by soaking the clutch in hot water. I blew mine out after 200 miles and then decided to shim the weights so removed the drive clutch. I dropped it in a pail of hot water and couldn't believe how the water turned brown.
The best solution is one that ties directly into the clutch intake tubes bypassing the intake box. But my RZR has two tubes and very little room to combine them or run two filters. I found several aftermarket kits but none that I found acceptable. Most hadn't been updated to deal with the 2nd intake on the 17's. That was in Sept so might be something now. My RZR is at my vacation home so I can't provide any pictures. I doubt I would do this mod again it was a lot more work than I anticipated. Polaris needs to modify the design, IMO.

#21 · (Edited)
yes i now have in possession one of the wolfsnout prefilters
it looks like it will do the job with light weight foam & easy washable
key is going to be monitoring drive belt housing temp
and checking and cleaning filter often or i see dust build up being a factor with heat in the drive belt housing
its really going to be if it works for you how proactive you are with the product
i have a alba racing drive belt exhaust housing temp probe & gauge only coming from them no blower assist type
if you contact wolfesnout and talk to them they are working on other rzr models to accept this filter what i don,t know

#24 ·
I would not put a dust filter on the clutch intake that increased temps 2-10 degrees without proof positive that dust is more damaging than higher temps and that a 2-10 deg temp increase will not increase clutch damage. My guess is that temps are more dangerous than dust and that increasing temps is a bad idea.

I think the best idea is to remove the clutch cover and blow the dust out of the clutch parts after every hard ride as suggested by Psheadl. Another safer idea might be to create a snorkle type setup that draws unfiltered but cleaner air into the clutch parts. Don't know if that is practical or even possible without major aggravation or risk of restricting air flow.

#27 ·
We have over 1200 miles with the same belt. Belt temps are well below critical mass.
These pictures are after three long days of riding in North Eastern Tennessee in very muddy and light rainy conditions on one of the days. The cvt intake side had one of our Under Cover filters and the engine side with no pre filter at all. You can see that even on a muddy day our filter works great to keep the mud out of your clutch. My clutch temps never got anywhere near unacceptable highs and stayed normal through out the ride. The only time it spiked for a while was when the frog skins were clogged. I rinsed them out and it went back down to normal.. Anyone wondering if mud on your frog skins causes temp spikes, the answer is yes once the cover seat is sealed with mud. Also the engine lost about half of its power until I washed the frog skins. I will be getting a set of mudbusters.

#31 · (Edited)
cause you could put a hunterworks inline blower( blow hole ) in the clutch air intake hose and it should not only force in fresh air it should also blow most of the debris out of the drive belt housing
i just received mine today from hunterworks
i,ll have it installed tomorrow and simple plug n play into the tail light wire harness

note
i,m still using wolfsnout pre engine filter working good!
and i have been experimenting for the different tempertures of the drive belt housing
there was noticeable no fine dust in the drive belt housing
i,ve had this on and off the pre filter
currently i,m experiencing oem drive belt high temps either way,
i have been doing alot of rock crawling
not wolfsnout pre filter fault!
so i,m going to up grade to the dura clutch generation 2 primary and secondary full kit setup
so no verdict is in on the wolsnout drive belt housing prefilter yet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.