My RZR: Modified RZR
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Shreveport, La
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
RZR 4 Belt Change. Its as easy as 1,2,3!!
I smoked my belt pretty bad the last time I rode, so I decided to change it out. Having never changed a belt on a RZR at my house, I thought I'd at least try it & if I couldn't I'd take it to my shop. It took me more time to figure it out than it did to change it. I watched the video's on You Tube but the new 4 was nothing like the "S" or the std RZR I had b4.
Here's how I did it. It literally took about 15 minutes from time I started to putting it back together. It took a total of 6 tools 7 if you count rachet.
3/8" drive - 5/8" socket, 1/2" socket, 3/8" socket, long extension and rachet
Screwdriver, 5/8" wrench
REMOVAL of OLD BELT
1. Remove rear seats
2. Remove rear plastic engine cover
3. Remove rear seat cross member 2 bolts(uses a 5/8" socket and wrench)
4. Remove CVT out flow snorkle - there is 1 hose clamp (screwdriver needed here and 2 plastic clips)
5. Remove CVT cover - there are 8 or so small screws which uses 3/8" socket and this is where you'll need an extension at least 6"s, I actually used a 9".
6. Remove belt by pulling up on old belt, this will give you enough slack to ride the belt over the secondary pulley.
7. Remove secondary pulley using a 1/2" socket - NOTE - hold the secondary clutch w/your hand and slide off, it is alligned on splines. The entire secondary pulley including the spring comes off as 1 piece. (Mine came off very easy)
Installing NEW BELT
8. Slide new belt over primary and w/the secondary in your hand put the NEW belt on it.
9. Align the secondary on to the output shaft and then align the splines up and slide on.
10. Re-Install bolt into secondary pulley and torque according to specs.
11. Re-install CVT cover. There is a rubber type gasket in the CVT housing make sure this is installed. I also put a generous amt of axle grease on to seal it up from water.
12. Follow steps 1-7 in reverse order.
After re-stalling cover, i started the 4 up and took it for a test run around the yard. It worked like new again. Then I finished putting the seats back in.
Can be done in the field, using the steps I listed above. I saved my old belt, there weren't any missing teeth but it was glazed over.
'11 Polaris Sportsman 850 orange XP w/EPS - 3" High lifter lift, 31" Laws, ATV Guru bumpers front and rear, KFI 3000# winch, HL 1.5" spacers, stealth snorkle and custom exhuast, Cajun dry box. (mine)
'10 RZR 4 - 3" CATVOS lift, 30" G. Sbacks, Maier scooped hood, headache net, Pol. Aluminum front bumper, Pol. rear bumper, Viper 4500# winch, 1" Super ATV spacers front/rear, Custom Snorkeled (hers)
Last edited by Bfree; April 27th, 2010 at 04:48 PM.