G/f bought one of these and reviewed it on another site, so I've shamelessly copied what she wrote. When she talks about riding she means a loaded-down Yamaha XT600 Tenere, and not the soft option of an SSV.
Core Cooler Personal Radiator
Was sceptical when I heard about the core cooler. Soak it overnight, wear it like a collar under your jacket - and it promises to keep you cool during extreme temperatures and hard riding. Also - promised to STAY cool for several days!
TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE?
No! Bought one, used it during a 5,000km trip across Botswana and Namibia and it worked MAGICALLY!!
Once the cooler is soaked - it magically SUCKS up the moisture, so that you don't feel it wet AT ALL against your skin when you put it on. However - the wonderful coolness soon becomes apparent - and especially so when you start riding.
The thought of a 'collar' type thing, under my jacket filled me with hibbie-jibbies! Surely that would be so IRRITATING and UNCOMFORTABLE -- but honestly -- you hardly notice the collar -- and as soon as evaporation starts, you are in cooled bliss!
We broke down in the middle of nowhere, all of us stuck out in the glaring sun - no shade and everyone was overheating. I used a bit of bottled water to charge the cooler - and made turns to put the cooler on everyone's heads! It was pure cooling heaven... and probably saved us all from heat stroke!
Highly, highly recommended for use if you're going to be doing some hard riding in hot temperatures - or are travelling in very hot climates.
You also DONT need to charge it all night long (since I forgot most of the time) - a good soak, for about ten minutes or so, will give you hours of cool riding. If it has been charged all night, it really (honestly!) lasts for a couple of days!
HERE's SOME TECHNICAL INFORMATION FROM THE WEB SITE:
Your Personal Radiator - In development for 2 years with Cool Tekwear, SIXSIXONE and Bob Hannah..... Used by fire fighters, first responders, military personnel, athletes and race teams, the SIXSIXONE Core-Cooler Personal Radiator™, works by utilizing the latest advances in Polycrylamide Cross-Linked Polymer technology. PCLPs are non-toxic, hypoallergenic and completely inert plastics, which absorb liquids. The SIXSIXONE Core-Cooler's specific compound of PCLPs uptake water at a rate of 500:1. Soak the Personal Radiator in water for as little as 5 minutes, or up to 120 min. Allow to dry, Velcro the "SIXSIXONE Core-Cooler" on and stay cool for up to 5 days.
The SIXSIXONE Core-Cooler PCLPs along with our special combination of fabrics create a two-stage cooling system keeping the user cool.
- Cools by evaporation, as water vapor is released around the upper body. The effect is an overall increase in energy and comfort.
- As the water vaporizes away, the SIXSIXONE Core-Cooler loses weight but maintains it's full cooling capacity.
- The inner liner poly-suede material gives a soft non-abrasive feeling and creates a heat sync against the skin, which rapidly cools heat radiating to the body surface.
- Fully hydrated will cool up to 5 days on a single soaking and weigh only 1-1/4 lbs.
- Dry to the touch after soaking and will not wet your clothing.
- Ergonomic shape makes for a comfortable fit.
- No need to refrigerate! Cools itself through evaporation.
- Soaking for 5-minutes will offer light-weight cooling power for a long moto or all day.
- 10 to 20 minutes will cool for up to 48 hours.
- 1-2 hours will fully charge and last up to 5 days.
- Available in 5 colors: Yellow, Black, Blue, Red, and Green.
- Available in 3 sizes: Youth, Adult SM-MD, and Adult LG-XL
Small to pack Cheap Very, very effective at keeping you cool Lasts for days on end, with one good soaking Comfortable
Bought at/web link:
:: SixSixOne Protection ::
5/5 - Excellent