Join Date: Jan 2012
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Dual battery kit
REV 01 02/10 - 1 -
RZR S4 DUAL BATTERY KIT
KIT P/N 2878206
Before you begin, read these instructions and check to be sure all parts and tools are accounted for.
Please retain these installation instructions for future reference and part ordering information.
This kit contains:
Qty Part Description
1 Battery Box
1 Box Bracket
1 Battery Tie Down
1 Harness – Ground Link
2 M6 x 75mm Hex Bolt
8 M6 Flat Washer
4 M6 Lock Washer
2 M6 x 20mm Hex Bolt
2 M6 Nylock Nut
2 M6 x 35mm Hex Bolt – Tapping
2 M4 x 25mm Pan Head Screw
2 M4 Washer
2 M4 Lock Washer
8 Zip Ties
1 Installation Instructions
You will need to supply:
Standard and metric socket set Standard and metric wrench set Drill and bit set
IMPORTANT: For your safety and to ensure a satisfactory installation, perform all installation steps correctly and in
the sequence shown.
IMPORTANT: Your Polaris Dual Battery Kit is exclusively designed for your vehicle. Please read the installation
instructions thoroughly before beginning. Installation is easier if the vehicle is clean and free of debris.
This kit is designed to allow you to connect multiple high-demand electrical accessories to your
vehicle without affecting your ability to restart the vehicle after the engine is turned off. The charge
control module monitors the vehicle system voltage and routes excess power to the auxiliary battery
once the primary battery is fully charged. Adding an extra battery does not increase the power
your vehicle is able to produce. If you consume more electrical power than your vehicle is able to
produce, the auxiliary battery will drain and, if use is continued, will cause the accessories attached
to it to cease functioning until the vehicle is able to recharge the battery. With this kit properly
installed and functioning correctly, you should still be able to restart the vehicle even if the
secondary battery is discharged. However, use caution and common-sense to prevent a situation
where you have run out of electrical power and can not restart the vehicle.
REV 01 02/10 - 2 -
Polaris recommends attaching all non-essential accessories, including lights other than the main
vehicle headlights, to the auxiliary battery to prevent them from draining the main vehicle battery.
1. Remove rear seats and driver’s seat from vehicle and set aside. Disconnect the positive and
negative terminals from the battery. Remove the transmission shift handle and the front
center floor section.
2. Remove the access cover to the CVT by turning the ¼ turn latches as well as the torx bolts on
the floor covering.
3. Lift up on the floor covering at the left torx bolt location and slip the box bracket over the
square tube cross member. Line up the hole in the bracket with the hole in the cross member.
REV 01 02/10 - 3 -
4. Attach the black 12 gauge ground wire from the box bracket and 6 gauge black ground link
wire to the common chassis ground. Attach the blue 12ga wire from the box bracket to the
starter solenoid shown in the picture below.
5. Remove the orange wire from the 12V accessory plug on the vertical wall in the passenger
floor. Connect the 18 gauge red wire with a 3/16” spade from the box bracket to the
accessory plug behind the box bracket. Re-connect the orange wire to the spade on the short
Ground 12ga and 6ga wire location
Blue 12ga wire location
REV 01 02/10 - 4 -
6. Mount the box to the lower cross member using the two M6 x 35mm hex head self tapping
bolts, two flat washers, two lock washers, and the two spacers. They will bolt to the
locations in the picture below. Ensure that no wires are pinched in the process. The box will
mount to the box bracket using two M6 x 25mm hex bolts, four M6 flat washers, and two M6
nylock nuts. The final assembled configuration is shown below.
7. Install your accessory battery (recommended 30A-hr) using the battery tie down and the two
M6 x 75mm bolts with two M6 washers and M6 lock washers.
8. Route the red 12 gauge wire with accessory junction block attached under the driver side
floor to the main battery box location under the driver’s seat. You will need to drill a hole at
the end of the plastic slot to allow the wire to pass through.
9. The junction block can be mounted near the main battery using the M4 hardware provided.
Mark two holes using the junction block as a template and drill with a 3/16” drill bit.
10. Connect the short, red 12 gauge wire with a ring terminal from the box bracket to the positive
terminal of the accessory battery. The black 6 gauge ground link can be connected to the
REV 01 02/10 - 5 -
negative terminal of the accessory battery. The main battery terminals can then be
11. Secure all cables away from any moving parts using the supplied zip ties. Take care to
secure the newly installed power wire to the main wire harness in several places under the
floor to prevent contact with the driveshaft. Secure all other wires as necessary to prevent
them from rubbing on frame components, other wires, and anything else they could contact.
12. Reinstall the rear access cover and hardware. Reinstall seats.